Hello

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/23 10:31 pm
RNY on 01/24/23

Hello all, I have been lurking and despite having a flawless medical experience since my RNY a few weeks ago, I am so down in the dumps all the time! Reading your stories and how positive you all are has put a smile on my face and I thought I should join and join in.

I do trust my emotions will soon improve (the regret and feelings "I've ruined my life" are real at the moment and feel terrible").

Have a great day or night depending where you are! PS I'm 45, not sure why I called myself 'boy' in my forum name lol

ladygodiva1228
on 2/8/23 6:48 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Welcome.

Everyone has what we call hormone dumping and it doesn't matter if you are a man or woman we all go through it. The rapid weight loss can really mess around with the hormones. Some days you feel like "what the heck did I do" and then there are days that you feel like " this is the best thing I could have done for myself wish I did it sooner". Things definitely get better. Take one day at a time. I recommend joining in on the daily menu thread.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 2/8/23 7:16 am
WLS on 07/15/22

Welcome! Congratulations on what sounds like a procedure with no complications. That, in itself, is worth celebrating.

Yep, the emotional roller coaster is real! I'm going on seven months out and still cry at the drop of a hat about some things. It's starting to balance out more now but there are definitely a ton of emotions.

It will get better! As ladygodiva said, you should join the menu thread. It's a great community of folks who have gone through a lot of the same things and lived to tell the tale.

Cheers, and hope you have a great day!

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 135

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

Partlypollyanna
on 2/8/23 7:33 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Welcome! This is a great group for encouragement, sharing our challenges and getting feedback, support and the occasional kick in the pants!

I never had the buyers remorse that hits some people during recovery but definitely did have the hormone dump roller coaster. It gets better!!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Sheila_H
on 2/8/23 7:53 am - Central Coast, CA
RNY on 06/26/17

Hello and welcome. Join us on the menu thread so you get more interaction.
Totally normal to have buyer's remorse for such a great change in your life. I will never forget this woman who at our monthly support meeting (before Covid) was in tears after her surgery. It was after Mother's Day and she thought she was no longer able to celebrate it because she couldn't eat all the foods she wanted. Fast forward 6 months and having lost around 60 lbs she was laughing at her old self. She was a brand new person with a huge grin and a new outlook on life.
Congrats on having made the difficult decision, now just stick with the program and enjoy your brand new life.

SW:261 6/26/17 GW:150 10/6/18

CW: 151

PGW: 140-142

lmfontana4
on 2/8/23 8:27 am
RNY on 03/24/21

Hello and Welcome!

I remember the buyer's remorse that I had after surgery, but I would do it all over again without hesitation. Give yourself time, find support and encouragement where you can, a support group can be very helpful in keeping your thoughts focused on your journey, and maybe think about counseling to work through your feelings. It will take time to get your energy back after surgery since you are now on reduced calories and your body is trying to recover. We would love to have you join our group!

HW 296 SW 267.8 GW 130 LW 128.2 CW 131.6

Age 55 5 ft 4 inches

Roux-en-Y 3/24/21

Internal Hernia 1/14/22

Gallbladder 3/22

Volvulus 10/7/23-Reversal of RNY 11/19/23

The last of the human freedoms, to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances. (Frankl, 1946)

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/23 5:57 pm
RNY on 01/24/23

Thank you so much everyone! I just had my two week check up with my surgeon and he really put my mind at ease and answered all my questions.

Also reminded me that major complications are very rare and for me to stop obsessing over worst case scenarios.

Teenie
on 2/8/23 6:06 pm - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

So normal feeling regrets. It passes for most and I'm pretty sure it will for you as well. At the stage you're at just take advantage of not being able to eat and get the weight off. Keep drinking your water. This only last a year or so. You'll be able to eat everything you did before eventually. And when your obesity related diseases and disorders are minimized or gone you look back and laugh at your regrets. Come to the menu thread we will cheer you on. Good luck.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/9/23 9:28 am

Within a few months after RNY surgery I finally accepted I needed help and my doc prescribed antidepressants. I was taking small amount of that for many years.

It took me a while to realized that before RNY - I would "self medicate myself" with foods when I got anxiety, stress, or simply feeling down. RNY stopped me from doing that. The meds, meditation, exercise - all of that helped. Being a part of a good community as the one we have her, on OH - made a huge difference.

There is a reason why some of us became obese in a first place- often it could be an emotional struggle, or stress that makes us turn to food we use as an pacifier.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

sue9999
on 2/9/23 10:46 am
RNY on 02/08/21

Hi Aussie: I had a very easy experience myself (2 years out today!!), but the emotions were surprising to me. I had no real buyers remorse b/c I made the decision to have WLS b/c of significant health issues that could not really be addressed by other means. That being said, I was flooded with emotions, especially as time went on. Food is what we have used to ease our emotions or to enhance them (celebrations, right!). Anyway, I worked with a counselor until just this past month and that helped a lot. Taking away my "drug of choice" (food, especially starchy carbs) took away my ability to stuff my feelings. It's like an alcoholic or addict when you taken away their substance of choice and their feelings come up. So I cried, panicked, got anxious, fearful, and even joyous. It was a roller coaster. So now I journal, do deep sigh breathing, exercise most days, share my fears, spend time with friends, try new hobbies and enjoy my happy times. It's all part of the wonderful thing we call life. Good luck to you, and welcome!

HW 243 SW 208 GW 125 CW 135

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 487 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 447 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 404 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 113 views