Absorption

EAP-Fan
on 2/8/23 2:00 pm

My daughter is almost 12 years out from surgery. For the last 8-10 months she is depressed, can't sleep quick weight loss, no menstrual cycle for 6 months & mentally not herself. Had to take leave from work. She was told by a metal health counselor, they are finding the longer out your are from the bariatric surgery our absorption is declining which is effecting our health n mental health. Has any long timers come across these feelings. Or know anyone who has? It's also a possibility she's going threw the change, next step is gynecologist visit. Has scrip from PC for blood work however going to wait till gynecologist orders their blood work and get everything done at once. Any personal issues like this please help.

MeeCeeLives
on 2/8/23 4:18 pm

Tonight is the first night back on this blog since my surgery in 2007.

Our absortion for vitamins had become difficult since the day we had our surgery!

I found many doctors didn't tell thier patients that they would need to take a B12 injection once a month. My Dr. Micheal Murr in Tampa did inform me. So when I don't take my prescription injections monthly I am very lathargic. I take chewable calcium, vitamins and must do protein!

Exercise is key!

My mental illness is what made me fat in the first place.

I see a team of mental health providers every chance I get. Group meetings, private session, ect..

I work myfitnesspal app daily to do good and when I don't keep track I go back to not caring about what I eat just to satisfy my tastes buds then I love subs pizza and bread

I hope that helps you out.

Sincerely,

MeeCee

EAP-Fan
on 2/14/23 10:17 am

Thank you for you in put. It was great you took your time to respond. I will have her talk to her Dr.

catwoman7
on 2/8/23 4:28 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

this is the first time I've heard something like this, and I've been on this site for eight years. At 12 years out, I'd be surprised if it was due to the surgery *per se*, but I suppose it could be a vitamin deficiency. Has she had labs done recently? (blood tests). Most of us have them done every year so if something is too high or too low, we can adjust our supplements.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

EAP-Fan
on 2/14/23 10:11 am

Thank you for taking the time for your suggestions. Yes she just went yesterday so will know more soon.

Partlypollyanna
on 2/9/23 4:25 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I agree with Catwoman, she needs to get her vitamin levels checked. It could be that the "mental health counselor" is confused about the fact that we should always be taking supplements because the RNY affects our absorption from the start and that not taking them will eventually have an impact -- which is slightly different. Not a medical professional but I have anecdotally heard that not having enough B long term can impact cognitive function but again, not a professional just a reader on the web! She should get the blood tests sooner rather than later if she can.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

ladygodiva1228
on 2/9/23 6:51 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

She needs to get that blood work done ASAP do not wait for her to see gyno. She's already waited 8-10 months to figure out what is going on. Sorry to sound so blunt, but she is doing more harm than good by waiting.

Does she get yearly blood work to check her vitamin levels? Does she take supplements daily? How old is your daughter?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

hollykim
on 2/9/23 11:00 am, edited 2/9/23 3:01 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 8, 2023 at 10:00 PM Pacific Time, EAP-Fan wrote:

My daughter is almost 12 years out from surgery. For the last 8-10 months she is depressed, can't sleep quick weight loss, no menstrual cycle for 6 months & mentally not herself. Had to take leave from work. She was told by a metal health counselor, they are finding the longer out your are from the bariatric surgery our absorption is declining which is effecting our health n mental health. Has any long timers come across these feelings. Or know anyone who has? It's also a possibility she's going threw the change, next step is gynecologist visit. Has scrip from PC for blood work however going to wait till gynecologist orders their blood work and get everything done at once. Any personal issues like this please help.

her ?mental health ? person is completely wrong. MalAbsorption IPROVEs over time as the body learns how to compensate for the surgical changes. This is why many people will began to gain weight years after surgery.

she needs a complete set of labs drawn with no delay. If these symptoms go on for a long time without proper supplementation of vitamins to correct her levels , these mental changes can become PERMANENT.
Edited to add: some of these symptoms especially the quick weight loss can indicate cancer so please do not delay.

dont delay.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 501 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 386 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 192 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views