How can I tell my mom not worried about me have surgery

BasketballMom23
on 2/21/23 1:57 pm

How can I tell my mom not worried about me have surgery. I said begin research and weight loss surgery to my mom I'm gonna have it and she's still worried about me having it. She thinks I'm two Heavy for weight loss surgery. I tell weight 560lbs life is hard.

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/23 2:20 pm
RNY on 01/24/23

You're unlikely to go under the knife at your current weight anyway. Assure her that your surgeon and their team will be getting you into the right shape before you go into surgery and it's much healthier than the life you are leading now.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/22/23 9:02 am

some facilities in US can operate on people that size, depending on their other health issues.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Alexpope
on 2/22/23 6:54 am
RNY on 10/21/20

Being worried is a moms job but to help her understand that surgery is a an approach that is going to give you back your ability to have a active life and a more healthy one. Encourage her to learn more about the surgeon you have chosen and his experience. You can also share with her that many people your weight have had surgery and have come through fine and gone on to have a successful journey (many of that Dr Now patients have been much heavier and had surgery) Help her to better understand the benefits of surgery vs the negative portion. Show her how dedicated you are to this so that you can get your life back. I myself was extremely large and I would hop back on that table again if needed.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/22/23 9:05 am

It's mom's job to worry. You can't change that. Any surgery at any size of a person is a reason to worry. She can pray, meditate, take calming pills, etc., but she would worry. I worry when my partner had a minor procedure to remove a cyst in his jaw. Why? because thing can happen. Expect the best, be prepared for the worst.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Greateight
on 2/22/23 11:52 am
RNY on 08/29/18

Since you are a Mom yourself, you know what it is to worry about our children. But the good news is that your doctor should have all the same worries as your Mom. Your medical team should work to minimize (cannot eliminate) the issues and risks. The best thing that you can do is to comply strictly with your program's pre-surgery requirements.

Jim Age 57 Height 6 Feet Consult Weight 344 SW 289 Pre-Surgery -55, M1 -25, M2 -16, M3 -21, M4 -10, M5 -5, M6 -1, M7 -4, M8 0, M9 +4, M10 -4

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 426 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 404 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 258 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Recent Topics