Another DX post...Weight stall

cabin111
on 3/11/23 12:29 pm

Disregard if you have seen this before. But for you new people who hit a stall for several weeks and feel frustrated that the scale is not moving the copy and paste below may help you...Brian
Below is a copy and paste from DX...very knowledgeable man. It might help.

Still staying on-track calorie-wise? And the scale shows you stopping? Or Even Gaining?!?!? ----------------------------Re-Post Unsolicited advice/info... -------------------------------------- Pull back from your 'daily' charting, and look at a weekly or even monthly. There are up and down spikes each day, But if you 'graph' the highest to the lowest, I'd bet there is still A downward slope over the course of the month. There's an 8 to 10lb. volume of "wiggle room" due to water alone. And it comes into play a lot. This has to do with our bodies using glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, But it is stored in our muscles for quick energy - One pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, And the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, (Like when you drop down to your calorie intake) Your body turns first to stored glycogen, Which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, You also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it Voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of any diet. As you stay in caloric deficit, however, Your body starts to 'realize' that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue And burning fat for energy. But your body also 'realizes'---- (by way of your liver releasing hormones signaling low Cal intake) ---That fat can't be used for short bursts of energy - Like, to outrun a saber-tooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, And rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, (Thus showing negative Calorie load overall) Your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while As you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored. Yes? The whole 'weight-loss' process is not a straight "Slide" down the scale. More like "Stair-Steps," (Down then forward, then down, then forward, etc... As your body cycles fat out of "deep storage" and through the Liver Into the muscles as Glycogen. The muscles and Liver can hold about a 3 weeks supply. This is why many people find that their "Stall" or "Plateau" Breaks when adding a bit of exercise And upping their water intake, or in the case of an "extreme exerciser," The total Calorie or Protein Intake, To signal the liver to let go of more Glycogen. Fear not, many people who are now enjoying life at a normal BMI Once had a few weeks or so of thinking- "...my weight loss has been awfully slow, has it stopped..."? Hope this helps some. You are doing Great! Keep it Up! Best Wishes- Dx

DxE
on 3/27/23 9:23 am

Hello Brian!
Great to see that you are still doing well.
I stopped dropping by regularly bout 10 years ago,
and like you, I couldn't get back in to the OH site.
After trying to start new account a few times
I stopped completely.
Have a new neighbor interested in WLS
and I tried again a few days back- and in.
I'm headed into my mid-60's and in better health than
I've Ever been in so far. :)
Enjoy the grandkids!!

Best Wishes- Dx

cabin111
on 3/27/23 9:47 am

So good to hear from you Dx!! I didn't want to misrepresent you in these threads. Over the years I have reposted your stall and the dumping threads. I felt they were very good. I have also done the "iron for men" post.

I do repost a woman's journey from the California Forum about running a marathon. Many people do not realize that (2006) there was so little information available to us. You would go to support groups for any new information you could find. It was dial up and the RNY was pretty new. I had two insurance policies and neither companies would pay for my procedure (this new concept of WLS).

It was so new, I remember one day at support group, our local bariatric surgeon walked in and told us he had two cases of Beriberi (Thiamine deficiency)!! New vital information we needed...

Take care and enjoy the journey...

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 507 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 420 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 218 views