Why are some people and my mom say I'm taken easy way out by having weight loss surgery

BasketballMom23
on 3/19/23 7:49 pm

Why are some people and my mom say I'm taken easy way out by having weight loss surgery. I have Begin researching for weight loss surgery to get my life back. When I told my mom I'm Going to have weight loss surgery She said that's easy way out she just diet and exercise, and I told her at over 500 lbs and hard for me to exercise, and when get my Surgery I have a tool tell me control my Eat. I just need help explain to it's not easy way out.

Greateight
on 3/20/23 5:19 am
RNY on 08/29/18

Good morning.

It's just prejudice. If you needed cataract surgery on your eyes, nobody would tell you to eat carrots and squint really hard. They would tell you to do what is necessary to resolve your health issues.

WLS isn't easy. Regain is real and you have to change your mind as well as your stomach. But it does give people a chance.

Jim Age 58 Height 6 Feet Consult Weight 344 SW 289 Pre-Surgery -55, M1 -25, M2 -16, M3 -21, M4 -10, M5 -5, M6 -1, M7 -4, M8 0, M9 +4, M10 -4

White Dove
on 3/20/23 7:03 am - Warren, OH

Most of the people who need weight loss surgery never get it because they believe it is the easy way out. It is a very hard thing to be successful at, especially after the first two years. Diet and exercise has less than 5% chance of working if you need to lose 50 pounds or more. At your weight, it has zero chance of working. Weight loss surgery is a tool that will help you if you are willing to stop overeating, and to work hard to change your life.

If you are not willing to make the changes needed to get and stay healthy then it will just be a waste of time and you will be another weight loss surgery failure. You need to find a therapist who specializes in weight loss surgery and work on the reasons why you gained weight in the first place and on how you can make life changes that will go along with the surgery.

Have the surgery when you are ready to change your life and do not let other people make your decision for you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/20/23 9:43 am

Unfortunately - White Dove is right.

I know a lot of people who had RNY, lost the weight initially, then regained more than the lost. They never changed their lifestyle or their diet.

After RNY - Most people lose their initial 100 lbs almost without making a significant effort. They first few months is the best way to change what you eat and how much. Some people indulge in small portions of "desserts" not realizing that later on the small portions would become "bigger" portions. Drinking with meals etc. If you are serious to get WLS and be successful - you really need to apply yourself from the beginning. No excuses. And believe me 0- it snot easy day after day and after day.

I had RNY close to 15 years ago, and I found out that unless I'm not careful, I can gain weight and gain it fast. Now - losing the regain, it a really really slow process. I had 110 lbs to lose and I lost that and 5 more lbs. Over the last 14 years in maintenance I regained up to 30 lbs from my personal goal, meaning I kept at least 75 lbs off at all time.

I'm currently working on losing the recent (covid) regain. I have 15- 18 lbs more to go.

So, research, learn and pick the best for you surgery.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/20/23 9:55 am

BTW: I am a very strong induvial. Over the so many years in my life I did many diets, starved myself, exercises, and I would als always lose weight, 70-80 lbs. But then I would slowly regain all and then some. At 47, I was close to menopause, and my systems just become very resistant to any attempts to lose weight. I would lose 3 lbs, then regain it. And my back was hurting and legs, etc. I was stick at 235 lbs by dieting non stop. I knew my metabolism was completely broken from years of dieting. I knew there was some issues with my hormonal balances but I could find a doctor who would take me seriously and run tests. So I knew that if I want to have a better life, I had to do something drastic.

I had RNY and even though I had some regains, I never gained it all and then some. I do work on it but with the RNY - as long as I follow proper for me diet (it clean keto diet) I don't crave sweets or carbs and I get full on reasonable amount of food, and stay full. I never had that before RNY.

I do have some long side effects from having RNY, but I accepted it as a part of my life - Since even if I would want to change things - I can't. I had the RNY and that's that.

Living as a big fat girl was hard, living life as post op RNY person can be hard - so chose your hard.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 315 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 315 views