Failed

Rny122719
on 3/20/23 8:29 pm
RNY on 12/27/19

Any thoughts about failing post rny? I initially lost weight and unfortunately have returned to presurgery habits and feel like I failed. Looking for feedback from others who've had rny

lmfontana4
on 3/21/23 8:27 am
RNY on 03/24/21

You are not alone in this. It is hard to change those life long habits but efforts to change them can be very rewarding. First, do you have support at home to help you with these ha*****anges? Do you know your triggers that make you go back to your pre-surgery habits? There are various things you can and should do to get back on track.

1) Reach out to your bariatric surgery team and ask for help. Perhaps you need to see the dietician for dietary help. Also, they may consider you a candidate for bariatric medical therapy to help with food cravings.

2) Attend or participate in a WLS support group (such as this one) to increase your sense of accountability. Some people also use weigh****chers with the weigh ins.

3) Counseling may assist you with becoming more aware of your triggers to eat and development of healthier coping methods.

4) Log your meals and calories every day, regardless of how long you have been at a healthy weight.

5) Create healthy habits by adding moderate amount of physical activity, fun activities, or something that you can look forward to. It doesn't have to be running, elliptical, etc. Maybe you enjoy skiing in the winter but nature hikes in the summer.

I hope these ideas help. I am now 2 years post-WLS, I still have the desire to eat if I am bored or confuse thirst for hunger. The surgery helped me change my body and how much I can eat but didn't change how I respond to stress or boredom or wanting to celebrate with food. I have to be very aware of my triggers and what is it I am actually feeling. If I am bored, what can I do to distract myself? If I feel hungry, is this a true hunger or is it related to food craving? Thirst? Boredom? I question myself to try to recognize what it is I am truly feeling. If you have joined this support site, you will see that even those who have 5, 6, plus years under their belt post-surgery still struggle with the same cravings and issues. However, it is not all bleak, there are so many rewards that have come from having surgery that outweighs any of these issues. Please seek help and lt us know how you are doing.

HW 296 SW 267.8 GW 130 LW 128.2 CW 131.6

Age 55 5 ft 4 inches

Roux-en-Y 3/24/21

Internal Hernia 1/14/22

Gallbladder 3/22

Volvulus 10/7/23-Reversal of RNY 11/19/23

The last of the human freedoms, to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances. (Frankl, 1946)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 444 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 395 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404