What's on your Thursday Menu?

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/24/23 12:50 pm

Just be careful with extreme weight loss. You are not even 1 year post op so you most likely would lose more weight.

Thant's normal. At the same time, initially we look malnourished and we may be. After 1.5 years my body shaped started changing even though I di not gained weight. But the fat got better distributed. My face looked less gaunt.

I'm currently 5'3". When I'm at the weight that is my "Normal" BMI - I'm way too thin. I don't feel good and I don't look good. At app 150 lbs, I'm just around 18-20% body fat. For a woman at my age - that's too low. I don't look good, plus my body has just enough reserves to survive 1 week not eating (like when I get sick and cant eat).

When I dropped to app 135-136 lbs, that is suppose to be rather in normal BMI range for me, but I was miserable. Plus my body had no reserves. I had to eat often because I would get hypoglycemia when I did not eat. That was the only time Keith my partner told me he was concerned with my weight. I had virtually no fat under the skin on my torso. Just bones and skin.

I do have a large frame and thick bones. So 150 -155 lbs looks OK on me.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 3/24/23 1:47 pm
WLS on 07/15/22

Thank you for the call out. Like you, I'm not made to be willowy and come with a sturdy frame. I'm also a few inches taller (5' 7.5"). I absolutely look more gaunt right now from the chest up and the knees down. I get bruises from spending time kneeling because the bones are so prominent.

Some of what I need to work through is that all of the fat my body is hoarding is in my torso and hips. I still have "rolls" on my back and of course my stomach and panni. There's a good amount of fat there, and I know fat is essential. I'll question my doctors and such about that because it's the abdominal fat that's generally more concerning. I'm over 40, so heading into the age ranges where it's generally okay to have a bit more.

Can also say that when I weighed 152 in 2017, I was doing 10 miles a day on the treadmill - and I don't run so that's hours, plus elliptical, plus weights. It was not sustainable. For me it's more about health than a number on the scale, so figuring out body composition against how I feel will be a big one. It seems my low blood pressure (not just orthostatic) is already making a comeback, so something to keep in mind. To your point, feeling miserable is also bad.

Ultimately, I expect it will be a balancing act. I don't know how anyone with my build/height could be healthy at 120 and if I get there, something is majorly wrong. I suspect that, like you, my natural point may be somewhere in the 150's. That's still technically a good BMI but if I'm gaining muscle then frankly, I don't care about it at all.

As always, thank you for sharing your experiences - they are helpful. I know I'm still a newbie comparatively and trying to figure things out! Appreciate you!

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

Greateight
on 3/24/23 1:57 pm
RNY on 08/29/18

Do your knees knock into each other if you lie on your side? I have to use a pillow if I lay that way.

Jim Age 58 Height 6 Feet Consult Weight 344 SW 289 Pre-Surgery -55, M1 -25, M2 -16, M3 -21, M4 -10, M5 -5, M6 -1, M7 -4, M8 0, M9 +4, M10 -4

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 3/24/23 2:59 pm
WLS on 07/15/22

Yes! If they're stacked they're poking now. I'm a side/back sleeper so just try to put one in front of the other. Haven't tried a pillow, yet. Probably worth a go. I do toss and turn all night, so that's something to contend with!

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

Melody P.
on 3/23/23 3:46 am - Amarillo, TX

Good mornin everyone! Your kitty is so gorgeous JB! I never thought about doing a hallmark movie over the crap with the neighbor...that made me laugh this morning so thank you for that!

Not a whole lot planned for today. I have an appointment to get my pain pump upped a bit more and my mom needs a few things at Walmart. I'm hoping that's it. I'm also hoping, of course, that the up tick in the pain med will help a lot. My legs are just so angry feeling. While the pain is not "new" the intensity sure is. My left leg in particular along with its foot just is causing me a lot of pain. The pain along with the exhaustion is just getting overwhelming. I see my pcp on the 4th and I'm going to ask for a bloodwork extravaganza. I feel something is off.

Our pup Frank has an issue with his right shoulder, it's a bit swollen. He isn't favoring it and not reacting to us touching it and even rubs it on us like usual. We'd love to take him to the vet but when I say this dog is crazy I mean the cray cray crazy. He is afraid of everything and weighs almost 100 pounds. He won't get into the car. We tried a ramp and food incentives to no avail. He still is jumping off the porch and running around after our chihuahua Skippy. We can't pick him up. He was one of a 12 pup litter. I kid you not when I say he weighs at least 50 pounds more than the one sibling my cousin has. He is an anomaly for better or worse lol. We are keeping an eye on it and might call the vet's office to see what our options might be. He also can get out of every harness and collar we've ever tried on him. From his shoulders up is a cone all the way to his nose.

QOTD: chainmaille..no surprise there. The aspect ratio of the jump rings...the different weaves...metals...wire diameter and metal spring back effecting the AR. For someone who hated math I am pretty good at the math needed for this skill. I dream in chainmaille sometimes...or a lot. I have a lot of ideas floating around in my head.

B: PP shake and popcorn single serving bag...weird I know LOL

L: ????

D: I'm thinking soup or fish...we'll see

S: ????

Pic of Frank....

Queen JB
on 3/23/23 4:40 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Poor Frankie! Speaking of biggest in the litter... See how big Innie is? He is actually not the biggest in his sibling group. His sister Gertie was adopted as an only cat so she has no one to share the ham with! Every time we see pictures we snort because she is one biiiiiiig fat kitty.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Melody P.
on 3/23/23 6:13 am - Amarillo, TX

My orange kitty Otis was huge. At the top he weighed around 25 or so pounds. He was fat but also just a really big cat. My cats now weigh 15 and 17 pounds respectively. It doesn't help that opal is the heaviest and has no neck. She's also puffy like a marshmallow!

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/23/23 8:49 am

I tell that Dewey is big boned cat and I get offended when people call him fat. He gets offended because I get offended.

Our Emma- the 7 lb cat with hyperthyroidism, got as low as 6.5 lbs. Super skinny, unhealthy- she os on meds now, and gained some weight (thankfully). But one time as I was holding her I told her how happy I'm she gained weight. In a typical female fashion she hissed a mem started growling and insisted I put her down. (I was holding her). Keith burst out laughing. Now I no longer comment on her weight to her face. Or when she can hear me. This cat is so unusual and I'm sure she is one if those cats that really understand our talks. Ugh.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Melody P.
on 3/23/23 9:41 pm - Amarillo, TX

Cats are just so unique and aloof. I always tell people opal is only like 1.4 pounds heavier than her brother, that she just carries it differently. She also doesn't have much of a neck lol. BUT she's a beautiful kitty as is my Percy.

Maddymoe2
on 3/23/23 4:54 am
RNY on 11/22/16

Frank is adorable!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 232 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?