What's on your Memorial Day menu?

Melody P.
on 5/29/23 6:05 am - Amarillo, TX

Today we honor those that gave the ultimate sacrifice to our country. I also remember those that made it home only to be lost to PTSD and took their own lives or went about ways of ending their lives.

We're meeting with my aunt today to put flowers on a few graves. Not my favorite activity as I find no comfort in or at cemeteries. But it does provide comfort for my mom as my grandpa did it and it was important to him.

Not feeling well but that's nothing new.

QOTD: what are you looking forward to this week?

not much here that I know of.

B: JUST egg cup.

Mel

catwoman7
on 5/29/23 6:33 am
RNY on 06/03/15

Mornin' All!

I took a 23-mile bike ride yesterday. Will probably walk instead today because I'm supposed to be building up my bones in preparation for a new osteoporosis drug I'll be starting in September, Forteo. My usual exercises (mostly because I like them so much) are water fitness classes and biking - both of which are great exercise - but neither of which does much for your bones. So I do need to rotate walking in at least a couple of times a week.

other than walking, I need to get moving on a couple of books I've been reading the last couple of days. One I need to return to its owner in a reasonable amount of time (I'm thinking the end of the week), another is for my book discussion group that meets a week from today. I've got a lot of stuff on my calendar this week - including a visit from some friends I haven't seen in almost 40 years next weekend, so I'm going to try to make some real headway today on these books.

QOTD: dinner with a friend on Wednesday, lunch with another friend on Thursday, and my friends who will be here from NC Friday and Saturday (good Lord this is could be a potentional minefield re: eating - I'll have to be really careful navigating this!!)

B: plain skyr with fruit, coffee with half & half

MS: protein shake

L: 2 chicken skewers, vegetables

AS: protein muffin or L&F yogurt with tahini

D: some Italian dish I was planning to make - if I can get the chicken thighs defrosted quickly enough - yikes - I totally forgot!!!

have a great day, everyone!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Lisa91941
on 5/29/23 6:55 am
RNY on 10/29/19

Good morning. Yesterday we went to the Little Bighorn Battlefield Memorial. We learned so much. Mankind is not kind. All for the love of money these native Americans were hunted and American soldiers were slaughtered in support of a government that went back on its word because of the discovery of gold. The monument is also home to a National Cemetery, so all the more impactful on this Memorial Day weekend. We listened to a Native American National Park Service Ranger give a talk about the days leading up to the battle and the actual battle and she was so good everyone broke into applause at the end of her 45 minute talk. Fascinating stuff.

Today is more travel. Missoula here we come. And we need groceries. Kind of down to zero fun things which tends to lead me into bad decisions. Like fast food vs making us things my belly likes and needs in the rig.

QoTD Making it to the cabin tomorrow and having good friends come stay with us and bbqing on the patio. It's just very peaceful there.

I did great on food yesterday. Really paid attention to what I was eating and quantities. Then I threw it all away with wine around the campfire.

Menu today is unknown past breakfast. Hoping to find an easy in/easy out grocery store to get good options. Not always easy with the rig and the tow car.

Remember today, All gave some, some gave all. Wishing peace for all the families.

Height 5'3"

HW 200

surgery date 10/29/19 177.9

CW 121.4

goal weight 125

Partlypollyanna
on 5/29/23 7:43 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I was at school in Helena when they renamed it to Little Bighorn National Monument. How insulting to the indigenous population the old name must have felt. It's such a moving and emotional spot, and the national cemetery along side just adds to it. Enjoy the drive and Missoula. Montana is such an incredible place.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Lisa91941
on 5/29/23 9:15 am
RNY on 10/29/19

I could not agree with you more! I wanted to ask the Ranger if she felt conflicted by being a proud Native and working for the government. She clearly felt her people were horribly treated. But I could not find a way to format my question without it sounding sanctimonious.

Height 5'3"

HW 200

CW 121.4

goal weight 125

White Dove
on 5/29/23 8:03 am - Warren, OH

I am always anxious to learn more about that part of history. I just added Missoula to my lists of places I want to visit.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Partlypollyanna
on 5/29/23 8:14 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Little Bighorn is on the other side of the state (about 5.5 hours from Missoula). Montana is a great place to visit and you could just do a trip to see Yellowstone, Glacier, Little Bighorn, there's a great dinosaur museum in Bozeman...so much to see and do all over the place.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Lisa91941
on 5/29/23 9:17 am
RNY on 10/29/19

The Road to the Sun in Glacier National Park is a stunning way to spend a whole day! Very little walking if you don't want to. Lots of places to park and soak in the views. Highly recommend that if you put together a vacation plan!

Height 5'3"

HW 200

CW 121.4

goal weight 125

White Dove
on 5/29/23 12:04 pm - Warren, OH

Thanks so much. Low to moderate walking is all I can handle now. There is a park here that was created by the last of the glaciers, Nelson Ledges. I used to spend a lot of time hiking there but could not do that now.

White Dove
on 5/29/23 12:28 pm - Warren, OH

Thanks Jen. Good to know for planning. I am still so amazed at the Red Rocks. The colors were more than I expected. The mountains I have seen in my life have been on the east coast in places like Virginia and are so different from the Rockies. I can't wait to go back to the mountains in the western part of the US.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 489 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 339 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 429 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 395 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 100 views