Alexpope’s Posts

Alexpope
on 5/28/21 7:55 am
Topic: RE: Vitamin HELP

Is there a place where I can get the asmbs guidelines? The paper I was given was suggested by the surgeon so maybe he is going by those guidelines but it is so many vitamins and so costly. I am going to do the centrum silver for sure.

Alexpope
on 5/28/21 7:54 am

Wow so many options to look into but I do think I will do the centrum silver for the multi. The iron one you take do you take one a day or two? My current brand has me on two a day.

Alexpope
on 5/28/21 7:53 am

Thank you for your information I think I will try the Centrum Silver and a few of the other suggestions. This has been very helpful

Alexpope
on 5/27/21 10:19 am

I know I don't post here as often as I should and it seems to only be when I need help but I am so confused on my vitamin routine because of the nutritionist at my program. I was given some information sheets that outline what I must take on a daily basis but many people in my program take a totally different vitamin than suggested by the surgeon (he sells them) I have spent a lot of money and with my hours being cut at work I need to find a more affordable routine. Can anyone please help me in suggesting some vitamins that are more affordable and will be sufficient to meet my needs as a gastric bypass patient?

Alexpope
on 1/13/21 1:04 pm
Topic: RE: How many carbs a day?

hey all I haven't been around much since I went back to work after my surgery and I am now 14 weeks out and I am down about 80lbs. I have started to see a huge difference in what I can tolerate and it has me concerned. The last time I was in the office I asked the girl who handles the nutrition how many calories and carbs I should stay at or under and she told me not to focus on that just focus on getting protein in. Well I am doing that but one of my concerns is that I need to know where to be when it comes to carbs (good or bad) I want to focus on good carbs such as veggies and grains but I cannot seem to get a straight answer from her. Does anyone know what the goal should be to stay at or under if I want to continue to lose weight?

Alexpope
on 10/29/20 10:51 am
Topic: RE: Thoughts on Gatorade Zero

I'm literally struggling to get enough fluids in at 3 weeks post. My dietician suggested I try flavored water by adding crystal lite but I find it is sickly sweet. I have tried to cut back on powder and use more water but same thing. I found Gatorade zero the other day and it seems like a good alternative. No sugar, no carbs (unless you drink a ful 20 oz then it is 2grams) I'd like input on what some of you who are farther out think of this as an option. The elecrolites in it being a problem or not. I seem to be able to drink more of it than just plain water so hoping it will be good.

Alexpope
on 10/28/20 3:36 pm
Topic: RE: My 1st stall... How should?

I am just about 3 weeks post and I have not yet had a stall but my program informed us that these are normal and to not get all bent about them. They also said that even though the scale may not be moving your body could still be losing inches. Their suggestion to us as a patient who might experience this was to just keep doing what we are doing (as long as you are not seeing a weight gain). I am not sure if I will remember those words of advice when I hit a stall but I hope I do. The dietician also said that as long as we are tracking what goes in our mouths it should be simple to realize that the stall is just a normal process in the weight loss progression. I am sorry I don't have more substantial input for you but I wish you all the luck in the world man.

Alexpope
on 10/16/20 1:46 pm
Topic: RE: Surgery Date

I can't answer your question but I wanted to say congratulations on your surgery date. I just had rny on 10/7 and it has been a trip they did have me monitor for a fever up until surgery and told me if I had one they could cancel and do a covid test then I would have to wait on results and reschedule. Luckily I was good.

Alexpope
on 10/13/20 2:13 pm
Topic: RE: WHOA

I just realized I put that I was two weeks post op tomorrow and I am only ONE. I feel like I should be farther out or maybe its the pain meds.

Alexpope
on 10/13/20 2:12 pm
Topic: RE: Bypass Questions/Concerns

I had surgery last Wednesday too and I seem to be having the opposite experience you are. I am not hungry at all and I am struggling to get my protein shakes down. They are also make me sick to my stomach. I remember in one of my nutrition classes I was told about head hunger and how it can be something that we struggle with after surgery I have intentionally no****ched any tv because the girl said that it was a trigger and could start head hunger. I have been sleeping as much as possible because I am really tired so that has helped but I bet that is what you are having. Have you tried doing something else when the thought of being hungry comes in? A few people from the support group I was in on said they have found new things to occupy their time one guy took up building models and a few other people were doing craft hobbies. Each was at a different stage but yet it seemed to make sense.

On the weight loss I was also told not to weigh or try to gauge weight loss during the first few weeks. I was even told that I could leave the hospital weighing more than I did when I came in or possibly have some gain over the first few post op days and this could be because of fluid retention. If you are doing everything you are supposed to food wise and eating on your diet plan then you should see your weight loss at some point. They stress to us at my program there is no set time of when you will see the difference on your scale so taking measurements will help. They also said that we could see a big drop in weight at one time so hang in there. I am sure we will both see some drastic changes in our weight loss soon.

Alexpope
on 10/13/20 11:10 am
Topic: RE: WHOA

I survived surgery but holy hell no one prepared me for the pain directly after. I am still having pain and taking pain meds but those will run out tomorrow when I am 2 weeks post op. My surgeon said that my surgery was text book and he expected my recovery to be as well but I am struggling to get my fluids in and I do not feel hungry and the thought of eating makes me sick. Is this normal? The protein drinks I got are nauseating but I heard that sometimes happens so I am just gagging between drinks.

I go to see the PA tomorrow for a follow up and I plan on talking to him to find out why I am so tired. I get that I just had surgery and all but surely my lack of eating isn't affecting my energy. Any ideas what else it could be?

I thought I had prepared myself rather well for this but I guess not. I am not regretting the surgery don't get me wrong but I am just like whoa.

Alexpope
on 10/2/20 10:33 am
Topic: RE: 5 days until surgery - I am getting nervous and thinking of backing out.

It is getting closer for me to start my new life and the nerves are kicking my ass. I know that everyone is nervous and feels anxious but seriously I feel it more so than I did a week ago. That thought of maybe if I try one more time to lose it on my own it will be better. Did anyone else go through this and how did you calm your nerves so you didn't back out?

Alexpope
on 9/28/20 11:04 am
Topic: RE: THEY MOVED ME!!!!

My Dr. gave me a list of the recommended vitamins and I have those. He also suggests Premier as the protein to use before and after surgery, and I have plenty. I had one of the other patients suggest taking some ready to drink premier with me in case I get something in the hospital I don't like or can't tolerate. I have heard tastes change after surgery so I really hope the protein is not one of those. I have my favorites now. If they have not told you anything yet I would call and ask. It is best to be as prepared as possible they say.

Good luck with your surgery wishing you a speedy recovery!

Alexpope
on 9/25/20 4:36 pm
Topic: RE: What health issues has your surgery resolved?

I have diabetes too so I am hoping that will resolve. Are you saying your diabetes didn't resolve until you had a revision?

Alexpope
on 9/25/20 4:34 pm
Topic: RE: THEY MOVED ME!!!!

My drs office called me today and left a message that they want to move my date up to 10/7 and if I want to take it I have to start my preop diet TONIGHT. They gave me a list of all the things I can have but if anyone has any tips on things to make this better or easier please share. I am really stoked about getting surgery sooner but I am also now freaking out.

Alexpope
on 9/23/20 9:39 am
Topic: RE: What health issues has your surgery resolved?

I am scheduled for surgery on 10/21 and have several health issues that have been the primary reason for my decision. I am hoping mine will go away but was wondering how many here had them and no longer do since they had surgery.

Alexpope
on 9/18/20 12:03 pm
Topic: RE: What products do you suggest

I think scales are different for men and women but useful in some ways for both. You were frustrated you lost 108 lbs in 5 mos? What were your expectations and where did you get that expectation from? My surgeon has told me that no two patients are alike and that patient a can lose 100 lbs by 6 mos patient b may not and it has many factors not just male, female or weighing at home or not weighing at home. He said bmi plays a role as do genetics and of course compliance. How accurate he is remains to be seen in my case but I will do what I need to. I appreciate the input and your reasoning behind it. I think a scale is necessary for me in the beginning but could be less useful the further out I am. We shall see.

Alexpope
on 9/18/20 7:36 am
Topic: RE: What products do you suggest

With my surgery date on the books I am getting more and more centered and starting to get things ready for when I am home from the hospital. I have all the necessary foods for my two week pre diet and have started stocking some of the post diet foods. But are there any products you found to be a life saver or a must have since you had surgery? It can be a protein shake/bar, food scale, etc. I want to start looking into them now before surgery.

Alexpope
on 9/17/20 5:46 pm
Topic: RE: Right choice?

Thanks for your information. Another guy reached out to me and gave me his input as well and he had VSG and suffers to this day with reflux and he never had it before. I have it now so I don't want to make it worse and I am definitely going to stick with the rny. I also feel that the restriction and malabsorption is an added benefit for someone my size. I started blogging today so I hope to keep this all documented as I make my way.

Alexpope
on 9/17/20 9:58 am
Topic: RE: Right choice?

hey all I am new and have been going through the forum for a few days now and it has made me a bit more confused than I was before. My dr left the decision up to me on which procedure I wanted to have since my insurance will cover either of them. I opted for the rny and was told I was approved and a surgery date scheduled. However now that I am reading the boards I wonder if I should have gone for the sleeve. My patient counselor told me I can change but I have to make my mind up by next week so they can get the procedure updated with the insurance dept. So I wanted to ask those of you that have had the rny if you regretted having it or if you wished you had the sleeve and why? I really wish I had known about this sight before so I coulda done more research before choosing. I would so appreciate any info people want to share......

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 65 replies · 609 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 57 replies · 497 views
What?s on your Monday menu?
Melody P. · 35 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 33 replies · 240 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 22 replies · 399 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?