yogibear’s Posts

yogibear
on 2/19/21 12:22 pm
Topic: RE: rouz n y revision

I wasnt sure if any insurance provider would pay for a revision or not but was asking just in general. i have osteoarthritis in my let hip real bad preventing me from being able to walk. so right now - any exercise is pretty much out. was just looking for options. my doctor that did the roux n y for me retired like a year after i did my procedure. never have followed up with anyone as a whole. for right now any kind of exercising is pretty much out due to some other physical health issues.

yogibear
on 2/18/21 10:52 pm
Topic: RE: rouz n y revision

i was wondering for those senior like me or older if anyone has had a revision on their gastric bypass surgery? i know my metabolism has stall big time and was wanting to follow up with a dr in reards t this

yogibear
on 2/23/18 11:24 am
Topic: RE: roux en y surgery and diabetes years later

i realize that wla does not cure diabetes - but was wondering more along the lines of when or if i can ever get off of metformin for the diabetes control? Or if this is just unrealistic?

yogibear
on 2/22/18 4:01 pm
Topic: RE: roux en y surgery and diabetes years later

I had my roux en y surgery back in 2002. At the time i had my surgery i knew i was pre diabetic but not on any diabetes meds. about 6 years ago - i was having some swelling in my legs that was out of control. At that time i was advised i was diabetic (type 2). my a1c was 7.1 (i think). But every since that diagnosis I have never been any higher. I have been taking metformin for the diabetes and last two checks i was was at 5.4 each of the last two tests. Has anyone else had this issue post surgery? I do know i had gain all of my weight back and a little but more. but two years ago i had congestive heart failure due to to much fluid being built up around my heart. I have been taking a diuretic and have lost most of what i have regained.

yogibear
on 12/4/17 11:04 am
Topic: RE: Just curious about your sugar experience

Depending on how much sugar you take in can and will determine what will happen. For me i never had a real issue with dumping. But when i did decide to try sugar it gave me a bad case of diarrhea. The only time i have a dumping issue is i ate something to fast or ate to much in one bite.

If you havent had any sugar up to now - try hard not to have any sugar at all. I do regret trying sugary foods but do have my sugary cravings under control. Do I regret trying sugar? yes - since now i know that my body can tolerate it to a point i do go for that piece of cake or piece of candy that i know i shouldnt have. but once i do have that taste of sugar - im right back on track again and start going sugar free again like "normal"

yogibear
on 9/2/17 8:43 pm
Topic: RE: coconut milk

I've been wanting to try some curry recipes but a lot of the recipes im seeing have coconut milk in the recipes if they are served hot. Does coconut milk have a lot of sugar in it? is there an alternative milk to use that would work in curry recipes?

yogibear
on 7/10/17 12:51 pm
Topic: RE: Anyone on here ten years or more out>

hey

I had my surgery may of 2002. ive been on the roller coaster since doing the surgery. at surgery date i was 330 pounds but got down to 197. shortly after that i started gaining weight again. no****ching as closely as i should have and got back up to 336 pounds. i had a heart scare 2/2016 and found out that i was retaining a lot of excess fluid. since my heart scare i have gotten back down to 243 pounds and am still trying to get back down even more.

yogibear
on 5/11/17 2:26 pm
Topic: RE: been a while

I know its been a while since i posted anything here but at least i know where to go for online support. I did my rou-n-y surgery back in 2002. Up and until February 2016 i lost about 133 pounds during the first two years post op. From 2004ish until February 2016 i gradually put the weight back on (thats the bad news and shame on me for letting it get that way). The good news is I think I am finally back on track and losing the weight again. The reason why February 2016 is important is because I had congestive heart failure due to fluid accumulating around my heart. I think mentally i was to concerned with getting my fluids in and not dehydrating.

ok now for the good news, Primary care dr has me on a diuretic to help with the water weight. From February 2016 til about November 2016 i lost about 65 - 70 pounds. The weight loss has been slow since prior to the holidays but was partly due to me having my right foot casted up and not being able to walk or exercise properly. however i do anticipate having the cast taken off tomorrow and getting my foot through some physical therapy then on to a gym from there.

Jeff

yogibear
on 2/12/17 3:07 pm
Topic: RE: New Sighlines

unfortunately im the same way.  but i have found that once i have one "portion" as per the nutrition info on the container im usually fine afterwards.

yogibear
on 2/12/17 2:53 pm
Topic: RE: Met an old RNY patient

i am actually almost 15 years out from my rny surgery (may 15, 2002).  the person you had met that had the surgery 13 years ago may have fallen into the same complacency that I fell into and didnt follow the routine that i should be doing.  february 2016 i had congestive heart failure due to all of the fluid around my heart heart wasnt beating properly due to excess amount of fluids).  ever since my rny surgery i have always had two issues - one was i am always thirsty and second was that i was paranoid of becoming dehydrated.    now with my weight that i have gained - i honestly dont know how much of it was water retention or fat due to my improper eating.  since ive been on my diuretic pill - i am back down to 255 +/-.  when i get to eating foods high in sodium - my water weights jumps way up,  my constant weight loss has slowed down a little due to other health issues but i am still losing weight.  

something to consider in a round about way - you could just mention an idea to the person that if they are that far out and still gaining weight to either contact her rny surgeon or contact her primary care dr to look into further.

yogibear
on 6/17/12 10:19 am
Topic: RE: website to calculate calories
Is theer a website that will calculate teh calories of the food we take in?  I was given a siet 10 years ago but cant remembet the name of it - wa a good and popular site.

Jeff
yogibear
on 1/10/12 8:25 am
Topic: RE: weight gain while drinking protein drinks
I understand that drinking protein drinks instead of eating food is a fad diet - what i was trying to accomplish is to put a leash on the weight gain and possibly start losing again.  I do understand that exercise is a big part of the weight loss to.  Im not against that in any way.  In fact I do feel 150% better when i was going to the gym  --  lifting weights and getting cardio in. 
yogibear
on 1/10/12 6:52 am
Topic: RE: weight gain while drinking protein drinks
im struggling really hard right now to put a lid on the weight i have gained.  I have almost all but gone back to just drinking protein drinks to see if the gain will stop and stabilize or start losing again?  I cant do to much on my feet - im till trying to get a foot wound healed up.  It is so close to being healed im ready to say f it and go back to the gym but dont want to risk it till it is healed.

If i switched to drinking all protein drinks - would or will the weight gain stop and stabalize?

Jeff
yogibear
on 1/1/12 5:13 am
Topic: RE: scale / digital scale
My surgeon had a nice digital scale that we used post op.  Was wondering where I might look to find one close to that caliber to weigh in and monitor my weight lose?
yogibear
on 12/26/11 6:21 am
yogibear
on 12/26/11 6:03 am
Topic: RE: ready to begin part two
ok - i know i have been slacking on watching what i do eat and the quantity and the exercise.  But the good news is there is a light at the end of the tunnel- my foot is just about healed and will be able to start walking and exercising again like i like to do. 

My second goal that I have once I start exercising again is to start lifting weights and eventually do a natural body building show.  One of the things I have done over the last year is writing a journal to know what works for food and what doesnt feel "quite right".

Here is the question I would like to post here and get a feel of the interest in my journey (again) and whether or not pics should be included through here or a seperate website / blog? 

I will definitely keep everyone posted through here as the progress again of the weight loss.

Jeff
yogibear
on 9/12/11 2:33 pm
Topic: RE: brown rice
 I havent tried quinoa yet but was a little concerned.  I am planned on trying to enter a body building show ina  couple of years once i get the weight back down again and my body shaped the way i want it.  I know that brown rice is a intricate part of the diet for body builders as a whole.
yogibear
on 9/12/11 2:12 pm
Topic: RE: brown rice
Shortly after the start of the year I will be starting two journies.  The first one is to get beck on track to losing weight again as a person who has done the roux - n - y.  i did do some self reflect and journal keeping this year to help and determine where i was failing.  My biggest weakness is bread, tortillas and things similar in nature.  My one question is in relation to brown rice.  Should i be looking at rice reacting with me the same as say bread and flour tortillas or is the brown rice good as long as it is in moderation? 
yogibear
on 8/2/11 10:31 am
Topic: RE: proteins from protein drinks vs protein from solid food
open ended question time for me.  Im quite a few years out and am trying to get on track again the right way.  when I count up the proteins I am doing ok - but does my body act / react differently with protein drinks versus protein from solid food besides the given of feeling full with solid food?  Last couple of weeks i have gotten better with my diet as a whole - just trying to remember if to count the protein from the protein drinks the same as solid food or if there is some lee way in teh protein in protein drinks?
yogibear
on 8/2/11 10:11 am
Topic: RE: tummy tuck/hernia repair! Any experience?
i did have one stomach hernia surgery done a few years ago but need to have another one done.  The hernia surgery will probably be easier - they probably will use a wire mesh to heal teh hernia site.

Jeff
yogibear
on 6/18/11 4:47 am
Topic: RE: sweetness of honey
im close to getting back on track 100% and starting a journey that ive been wanting to do since my back surgeries.  I was wondering if anyone ahs had any issues eating honey or if there was a honey that we could tolerate or if honey was considered one of our "no - no" foods to have?
yogibear
on 5/26/11 12:54 pm
Topic: RE: working with a dietitian
has anyone ever worked with a dietitian post op?  I am more than a few years out but am stuck due to other health issues that refuse to heal (issue is with an open wound on the bottom of my foot - the wound is refusing to heal due to the placement of the wound is right on the pressure point of where i walk)
yogibear
on 2/2/11 4:37 am
Topic: RE: 3 Months Post Op
Each person is going to respond differently for this surgery.  As long as you are eating the way we are suppose to and exercising. The weight will come off.  At some point the amount of weight being lost will slow down compared to how it was immediately after the surgery.
yogibear
on 1/17/11 10:34 am
Topic: RE: Lower abdominal pain on right side
I do know that the Gallbladder is such a common issue for WLS that I would have your doc check that out.  I do know i still have mine and is in good shape.  Keep in mind your appendix is also on your right side - almost parallel to your belly button.  But would have a doctor take a look either way.

Jeff
yogibear
on 1/16/11 8:15 am
Topic: RE: realistic amount of carbs from bread
Hey jess -

I have gotten addicted to the thin bread through orowheat.  I couldnt remember where the carbs from bread wold fit in - early on I had been eating bagel sandwiches at work.  I would split the sandwich in half and make that last during an eight hour shift but that is where i had goofed.  Thanks for the input.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 518 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 257 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics