Tonya S.’s Posts

Tonya S.
on 10/18/20 5:08 pm
Topic: RE: Hiatal Hernia after RNY

Hey- it's been a long time since I've been logged on here. I had RNY in 2010, and then a wicked bowel obstruction in 2015 that was caused by scaring from the RNY. I'm just the lucky one with all the rare and unpleasant drama. Fast forward to the current day-I had the same pain from 5 years ago, but worse. I was sleeping and woke up in horrible pain in my back, it went to the front followed by sweating, nausea then dry heaving. There were two cycles of this. I called the surgeon, asked for an upper GI. I had that done last week and to my surprise, there is no obstruction. I do have a hiatal hernia.

Have any of you had a hiatal hernia this many years post-op? How did they treat it? I've had so much trouble from this surgery, I dont want surgery again. I'm trying to stay calm, but I had the RNY, then two surgeries to fix the obstruction and now this. Thoughts?

" You will be safe in his arms, the hands that hold the world are holding your heart"
Tonya S.
on 12/27/15 10:53 am
Topic: RE: Twisted bowel

Thank you, I think the up and down is very emotional.

How r u, looks like u are newly post open.

" You will be safe in his arms, the hands that hold the world are holding your heart"
Tonya S.
on 12/26/15 2:04 pm
Topic: RE: Twisted bowel

Hello again,

In October I began having terrific pain while eating. I was lethargic a few weeks before the pain. I saw the surgeon who did my RNY 5years ago. He ordered a cat scan, they found a large mass that was not causing my pain. I had surgery two weeks ago for the mass. The weight loss surgeon joined the surgery, and removed adhesions he said was causing a twisted bowel.

He's giving it 6 weeks to fix its self. So far since surgery I was in worse pain, even fluids caused pain. The last 4 days I can eat, but the pain comes only when I'm up for more than 15 minutes. I'm so happy to eat again!

I'm seeing the surgeon next week, I want him to go ahead and set up the second surgery. This one will be open, where he removes 5 inches of bowel.

Has this happened to you? 

Tonya S.
on 11/6/15 8:25 am
Topic: RE: No Loss in the month of October (9 months out)

Week 4-8 I lost no weight, I think my body thought I was starving. No loss for 6 weeks at the 6 more Mark.

I'd say it's an adjustment!

Tonya S.
on 10/26/15 2:54 pm
Topic: RE: Pain, 5 yrs post RNY

Thanks, I may get some prepaid....

Tonya S.
on 10/24/15 7:28 am
Topic: RE: Pain, 5 yrs post RNY

I posted about this a few days ago. This is the follow up, I can't find the original post.

I have been having pain after eating for 6 days. I saw the surgeon.there are a few things it could be. I'm getting a cat scan after the 1st when I have insurance.

It could be a internal hernia or a ulcer that is caused by a dysfunction of my pouch. I may have a scope too.

I'm on a liquid diet till this is resolved, I guess this is one way to loose this regained weight. Sigh.....

Has this happened to you?

Tonya S.
on 10/24/15 7:17 am
Topic: RE: Anyone here do intense physical exercise or a contact sport?

I do Zumba many times a week. I think it's like burning 800 of more calories in a hour. I love it and I'm just fine, you will be too.

Tonya S.
on 10/20/15 2:17 pm
Topic: RE: Pain, stomach shut down can't eat!

I'm 5 yrs post open. Recently started a green smoothie cleanse. I've gain 40 of my 110 lbs back and wanted a jump start.

I'm wondering if this happens to you? Let me describe... when I take certain meds, Percocet or Imodium my entire go tract revolts. I'm having can't get off the floor, wild eyed, can't talk pain. This pain lasts hours, but the effects and more tolerable pain lasts days. I can't even make saliva or swallow. It is truly the most pain I've ever had.

I got constipated on this cleanse, and even after that is resolved my stomach is tender to touch. When I try to eat the smallest thing, I'm in agony and my heart rate doubles.

What is this called, how do you make it go away?

Tonya S.
on 6/12/11 10:24 am
Topic: RE: One Year Anniversary -- I think I CAN eat too much!
WOW- so mu*****ommon. I'm also one year out and have lost 98lbs. I am happy but have 40 to go and have not lost a single pound in FOUR months! YES- 4 months! Needless to say I'm more than a little mad.

After e-mailing my dietian, and trying everything I could think of- less exercise, more, less food, more food, eating a week of junk food, more protien nothing worked to budge the scale. Well this week at my one year appt, I was told it is my calories that is the problem. I could not imagine that I was eating as much as I did. She counted up my calories for 24 hours and I was well over 1500!

My new directive is to only count calories- religiously. I need to be at 1200 a day. Today is day one and I'm STARVING! So - yes I so know what you are talking about! I did not think I could eat that much at one time, but I think I was eating to often. As most fat girls know- we don't like to be hungry!!!

Good luck!

Tonya S.
on 4/2/11 10:28 pm
Topic: RE: 100lbs GONE
Sharon!
Congrats! SO proud of you. I know we started our journeys on the same day, it has been wonderful keeping up with you as we journey down the same road. I look forward to this milstone too, but for now- I'm staying off the scale (it's laughing at me so much you would think there would be calories burned by all the heavy laughing!)

Keep in touch and post some new pics of you and enjoy the shopping!!

Tonya S.
on 11/28/10 11:34 pm
Topic: RE: wow, been gone for a while!
Good to see you back. I like to keep up with you since we have the same surgery date! I'm right there with you. Loving my new look and new smaller clothes.

Tonya S.
on 8/23/10 12:56 pm
Topic: RE: Question for the Pros.. diet or not diet
Hey Sharon!
I see that you have alot of responses about this hot topic! All I can add is that I know what the lady said about phosphates in cola is true. When your phos is high the calcuim is low. My patients (dialysis) are prohibited from dark cola's, sprite or other clear soda's are ok.

I too also heard that no soda due to the carbonation, damaging the pouch. I truely don't care if I drink soda again, I've been off it for years, caffine too. (Hard to believe I needed RNY? LOL

Good luck-

Tonya S.
on 8/9/10 11:40 am
Topic: RE: I am 12 days post op & have not lost any weight in 6 days??
ANGIE.
I too had this problem! I'm 9 weeks out today and from week 2-5 I did not loose a once! I even gained weight week 2. I was FIT TO BE TIED! The surgeon had no real answer- he was happy with my overall loss (2 weeks preop and 11 lbs post op).

I do get on the scale-on surgery day, but I missed last week and I have to say it was great to see a 4 lb loss in 2 weeks. I may just keep up the every 2 week visit with my friend the scale. The thing that kept me from going nuts was, like you I did not eat a single morsel of anything that could cause it, it was 100% out of my controll. So all I could do with quit worrying.

In my past when I did not loose after massive effort- I was ready to quit, so I know know that quitting is not possible, surgery is not reversible. I needed to change my way of thinking about my weight, and be patient. I'd seen other's loose 60 lbs in  8 weeks- and I was planning to do the same.....

I so understand, but it seems to be normal for alot of people- Good luck!

Tonya S.
on 8/9/10 11:30 am
Topic: RE: Today was supposed to be surgery date....so discouraged
I know you must be so disapointed, but just know that if surgery is postponed, or canceled there is a good reason for it. Many times, when I see this happen (I'm a nurse) I think about the fact that this is GOD standing in the way- keeping you safe. Like the last minute phone call that makes you leave the house 3 minutes later- therefore advoiding a fatal accident 3 minutes prior.

Hopefully that helps!

Tonya S.
on 8/6/10 2:30 am
Topic: RE: Question:Sex before the 4 weeks after RNY
I was about 2 weeks out, and my belly was sore the next day. But it was wonderful, just not as lively as usual...:)
I don't think that the surgeon even said how long to wait, just do what you feel up to and it should be fine!
Have FUN!

Tonya S.
on 8/5/10 11:15 am
Topic: RE: I need some advice...Please
Lady Lin,
I felt poorly for 2 weeks post op. I must have walked miles- and did not have energy untill I could eat better. It will come, but I understand, I had no patience whatsoever! LOL

About the calcuim, I now take the bariatric advantage chewy lemon or chocolate. They require 2 to get the 500 mg of calcuim. The logenses are ok- cininamon is better than cherry for sure. The chewy ones cost more- but I could not tolerate anything else. I agree with the other reply that the lemon ones are like starburst. However all vitamins seem to have a aftertaste to me, as do all protien drinks.

Keep your head up-

Tonya S.
on 7/24/10 12:09 pm
Topic: RE: Stalls
I also responded to your blog- but I had a stall for 4 weeks! I was so upset about it at the MD office, he asked me if I am this anxious with my kids!??!! I could have decked him- he is naturally thin-drats!
I was so frustrated- only us that have gone through this could understand. It is probally a balancing act of some sort going in in our bodies. I did not know it was possible to not loose weight like a hot knife in butter after RNY- but I'm living proof! I also had massive trouble loosing for years- so this is more of the same for me.

Keep the faith- hopefully it will not go on for a month like I did! I just weigh on mondays now- and if things don't look good this monday, I may stop weighing alltogether. I can't do any more- I'm eating just what I should and have been to the gym since week 2. So- it takes the stress off me in a way- I can't do any more than I am. It works or it does not- I can't change it now

Message me- I so understand!

Tonya S.
on 7/24/10 11:52 am
Topic: RE: Had my RNY yesterday...
Good for you Lin! I prayed for you yesterday, and I'm glad he saw you through! I can't believe you are up and on the computer already. Keep in touch when you get home!

Tonya S.
on 7/1/10 6:22 am
Topic: RE: Scared?
Kerri,
I'm so there, I even told the dietian that I was not even sure that this surgery would work- nothing else has. I'm at week 3 post op, and no shock to me, I gained 2 lbs this week!!! My mind went right back to where it always did, well this is not going to work- I can't quit this now!

Now there is no reason at all for me to gain weight, I can't hardly eat much. I just have to keep on the path. It's my mind that get's me in trouble.

Have a great journey!

Tonya S.
on 6/20/10 10:28 pm
Topic: RE: This is what I'm eating...
Sharon,
This post may be just what I needed. I've been having problems with profound weakness. I've not tolerated the protien shakes well at all. I think I'm probally getting in 200 cal a day/ 20-25 of protien at best a day. So eating more foods may just help me out. Thanks for sharing- it was good to read everyone's responses too!

Take care!

Tonya S.
on 6/20/10 10:00 am
Topic: RE: How many are there?
Sharon,
I posted a simular question last week. I've yet to find a drink I can tolerate! I ordered some samples from Vitalady and syntax. I like the idea of a non milky drink. I do think the milky ones are hard to tolerate. I did not like Jillian Micheals or anything that came from Walmart.

I'm trying isopure tomorrow- its 5$ a bottle, but I'm so weak I need something in me! It's getting crazy here.

Send me a message and let me know how things are going with your scopes?

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Tonya S.
on 6/18/10 5:57 am
Topic: RE: Staples / Drain Removal
I agree with the other post, why don't people tell you something will hurt. At least you can expect it. I did not have drains with this surgery but have had 2 in the past and yes- it really hurt. Like being kicked by a donkey! I've also had staples in the past- and it's really not bad. At work- I talk them out, and no one really complains about it during or after.

Sorry you are having trouble getiing food down! Scary! But it is very good that they are working on finding the trouble and fixing it. I'd guess it's somewhat of an emergency-you can't keep up with such little intake for a long time! I'm sure they can fix you right up!

I'm having trouble tolerating the shakes- I have some samples of clear protiens coming- like lemonaide- maybe it's the milky ones I can't stand. It's not so much how it taste (which is bad) but more that I don't feel well after I consume it for hours! I'm fairly bed bound with it today.

We will get better-let's keep supporting each other!! Let me know how it goes!

Tonya S.
on 6/17/10 10:31 pm
Topic: RE: Need a suggestion on a good protien powder!
Thanks everyone!
I got on line yesterday and ordered from the place that sells roadside lemonaide and from vitalady. I also went to GNC and they have isopure- but WOW it's like 25$ for a case of 6??? Who can afford that- and they guy said it did not taste all that well. I did buy another mix there- but they have a like it or return it policy there- so let's hope I can find something.

My nausea has gone away and I'm not taking pain meds anymore- so maybe I'll tolerate the drinks better.

Thanks again!

Tonya S.
on 6/16/10 11:01 pm
Topic: RE: Need a suggestion on a good protien powder!
I'm 10 days' post op- I've tried 3 differnent protien powders, one had more than 5 g sugar/serving, the other two are NASTY. Maybe it's just my system- I'm still nauseated most of the time- but I have to say that regular food is not making me nauseated- but I have not ate any of it??
So if anyone could tell me what they drink for protien, that is good ( and where you buy it) I'll be so Happy!
Thanks
Tonya

Tonya S.
on 6/12/10 12:39 pm
Topic: RE: what do I expect on surgery day
I just had my surgery on monday, so I'll tell you how it was for me.
First- I was more nervous than most people (read my blogs). I've had many (5) previous abdominal surgeries, so I knew about getting up/down with your belly cut.  I do feel like it was more painful than I would have liked though. I was told I did not hit the PCA button enough. (pain button)
I could not stay awake for 24 hours post op- all monday is lost to me. I was up walking many times in the halls (like 15 times a day) the next day. I've had alot of gas and diarrhea. Yesterday, I was not very happy that I'd done this to myself, but today is a much better day. I'm getting around better, but turning over in bed is a major production.
Don't weigh yourself after surgery, I did find a scale in the hall and found that I'd gained 13 lbs in one day! Clearly this is all water, but disapointing non the less.

I have 3poke holes, one incision is about the size of my index finger. I'm very bruised.

While I was at the hospital they had me on oxygen, oxygen monitor, blood sugar checks and insulin coverage when high( i'm not diabetic) they do this at  my hospital for all abdominal surgery. I got heparin shots every 12 hours in my belly. 

Good luck and expect pain- take your meds and walk alot!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 234 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?