AnneGG’s Posts

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 1:12 am, edited 8/24/11 2:50 am
Topic: RE: need massive encouragement, very nervous about after rny
I was scared silly and I shut my eyes and jumped. I spent the first 4 months afterwards so emotional and nauseated and determined. I said that it was a good thing I had the surgery because it gave me no choice about what I could do- I couldn't back out no matter what I felt like. So I used the time to just keep putting one foot in front of the other, stay outside my comfort zone and exercise and eat properly, and work at it as hard as I could.

Now- 1+ years out, I would do surgery again in a heartbeat- I couldn't have gotten where I am- 123 lbs, size 2-4 (I am one of the lucky ones) and healthier than I've ever been without it. Now I just have to maintain one day at a time...

Re: your fear- just walk through it. One step at a time!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

AnneGG
on 8/23/11 10:15 pm
Topic: RE: Foods You Can Never Have Again Post Surg??
I was in a mood yesterday of "It"s not fair to have to eat like this! How can I do this the rest of my life?" So I had some ice cream, and it didn't taste very good. I'm grateful I didn't dump **** cream is the only thing that makes me dump)- I only ate a little, though.

Just because I can eat something doesn't mean I will. I get triggered so easily,
maybe it's because I haven't yet figured out what works for me to eat long term.

But I don't eat at all like I did pre-surgery. Sometimes that's hard. But I have to remember the cost-benefit ratio- I don't want to be what I was like pre-surgery.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

AnneGG
on 8/23/11 9:47 pm, edited 8/23/11 9:47 pm
Topic: RE: Thoughts from my 4-year follow-up appt today
Lora, thanks for your honesty and sharing so honestly the reality that it ain't all ribbons and roses post-op. I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I've been following the boards, and for me you have been such a help.

Good luck with the belly pain- hope it is solved and fixed soon.

AnneGG
on 8/22/11 8:33 am
Topic: RE: Binge Eating Disorder
Yup, count me in! I find 12-Step thinking the most helpful- one day, one moment at a time. And keep nothing I like to binge on in the house. I wish the urges would go away, and that they were easier to deal with. I feel your pain!

AnneGG
on 8/22/11 7:10 am
Topic: RE: Question about exercising?????
I'm of the persuasion that exercise is essential for health and long term healthy weight loss. I know I hate doing it, but it makes me feel a lot better. I look better, too. So, as Terri says, start small and work your way up. Anything is better than nothing.

AnneGG
on 8/22/11 1:52 am
Topic: RE: The chocolate tart is screaming my name.
Why have it in the fridge? Why torture yourself??? Lordy, I simply can't have anything like that around! I have to give it away or put salt all over it and put it down my electric pig, as my stepmother calls the garage disposal.

AnneGG
on 8/21/11 10:32 pm
Topic: RE: It's not fair!
This has been a great thread, pertinent to what I have the hardest time with, hunger and wanting to binge, especially at night.

I go to my surgeon's info sessions, and he says no hunger afterwards. Ha!!!! I had awful nausea for 4 months after surgery, but then the nausea left and the hunger returned. I have taken my surgeon to task about being more honest about what post-op is really like, and have been facilitating some of his info and support sessions. I am honest.

So 6 small meals it is- measure until I can eyeball portions, run, track, weigh-ins, etc., etc. Eat a treat every now and then.
At least I can't eat as much.

Being hungry is not an emergency. I like that.

AnneGG
on 8/21/11 10:12 pm
Topic: RE: Opurity vits- Question for Vit experts
Thanks for all this most useful info...

AnneGG
on 8/21/11 9:58 pm
Topic: RE: 4 years out today!
Thank you so much for hope and inspiration! That's taken a lot of intention and hard work! Thank you for posting- it helps a lot.
May I be in your shoes in another three years...

AnneGG
on 8/21/11 6:24 am
Topic: RE: Old Dog Needs New Tricks
I know for me, motivation = Just Do It, no matter what I feel like. If I wait until I "feel motivated", I'm going to be waiting a long long time.

So maybe work out a plan that takes small steps and increases slowly, write it down, and have someone work with you and support you in being accountable.

I like tracking- weight, food, and exercise. Also holds me accountable. About exercise- I hate it, probably always will, but I know for me it is essential and non-negotiable.

Me- I'm an food addict and a congenital weasel. Just am, I know that about myself, and so I plan accordingly. I set goals, and keep working at stretching myself out of my comfort zone. Don't always succeed, but at least I am most of the time. Then that becomes motivation. Just Do It never seems to get easier for me, but I haven't figured out any other way. One day, one moment, one choice at a time.

Go for it!!! You can do it!!!!!

AnneGG
on 8/21/11 3:30 am
Topic: RE: Exercise: Yuck!!!
I hate exercise, too, but I run 5 miles a day anyhow. Now, if you had asked me pre-surgery if I would be doing this, I would have just laughed.

I think exercise is very helpful for getting and keeping the weight off, but mostly to make me healthier. A recent study showed that just 15 minutes a day of exercise adds 3 years to your life. Just imagine what exercise plus the weight off could do!

AnneGG
on 8/21/11 12:40 am
Topic: RE: My body is my enemy!!
I was exactly in your boat pre-surgery minus the hysterectomy, and I have lost 100 lbs since surgery last July. I am now maintaining, and it is HARD because I can still only eat tiny amounts. But at least the weight is off- now I just have to keep it there.
Do you exercise? Because for me, that has been essential to do, what with my low metabolism.

AnneGG
on 8/21/11 12:14 am
Topic: RE: Going to start tracking EVERYTHING!
For the most part, I'm a tracker, too. I find it helps so much with the accountability, and having the measurements in front of me keep me in line. Doesn't mean I do everything perfectly by a long shot, but if I can keep within my boundaries I'm so much better off. I would rather stay at the top of slippery slopes than have to climb back up! Plus ongoing positive measurements make me proud of myself and give me ongoing motivation.

One of my best investments has been a Withings wifi scale- it sends your weight to a computer graph. Expensive but worth it.

Statistically, trackers are better at keeping weight off long term. Whatever works!

So go for it! It will be good for the long term, especially as you go into maintenance. It's not easy to do, but nothing about this journey is easy anyway.

AnneGG
on 8/20/11 11:06 pm
Topic: RE: Is freakin out normal?!?
Yup, very normal. I was a mess but determined, and now a year+ out, very grateful. I was a mess right after surgery, too, but hung in there. I could have never gotten where I am (healthy with cholesterol normal, sleep apnea and GERD gone, size 2-4, running 5 miles a day, etc.) without it. It's hard work now, but it's work that is so worth it!

AnneGG
on 8/20/11 10:59 pm
Topic: RE: To All The Woman In A Hurry To Have A Man In Your Life
Thanks!!!

AnneGG
on 8/18/11 2:40 am
Topic: RE: Just had an interesting thought.. I eat like a skinny person
Good point, Nik. Great to have you back, Nessa! You both are so valuable to this board- and in other ways, too!

AnneGG
on 8/17/11 11:23 pm
Topic: RE: How to NOT gain weight back?
I've been at goal for 3 months now, and I'm hoping that being vigilant with intake and exercise does the trick. I jog 5 miles a day. I watch what and how I eat. I weigh myself daily and adjust accordingly. I don't listen to internal temper tantrums. I hope this works long term...one day at a time.

AnneGG
on 8/17/11 11:01 pm
Topic: RE: By-Pass Phobia
I went into surgery initially for the lapband, and they couldn't do it because I had such a large hiatal hernia. I then went for the sleeve, but was denied by insurance. Which left me with the RNY, which, like you, I had lots of doubts and fears about. But also like you, I trusted my surgeon.
I decided to go for it, and 13 months out I am so happy I did. I was a "lightweight" with 100lbs to lose, which I have, and I have been maintaining for 3 months. I did have 4 months of nausea after surgery, and some doubts and regrets at that stage.
I have arthritis and I'm worried about pain and NSAIDS in the future, but I guess I'll deal with that when I have to.
At this point, I have never felt healthier, and I am 60 years old. I jog 5 miles a day!I wear a size 2-4! My arthritis pain is gone, my GERD and Barrett's Esophagus are gone, my cholesterol is normal without meds, and my sleep apnea is gone.
It's a tough decision you're facing- I know. And I'm so glad I've made the decision I did. It hasn't been easy, and I am grateful I made the choice.
Good luck with yours- let us know what you decide!

AnneGG
on 8/16/11 6:31 am
Topic: RE: Shout out to One More Mile!
OMG! A half every month! Good for you!!! I do 5 miles jogging a day and don't think I'll ever do the competitive stuff.

AnneGG
on 8/16/11 6:26 am
Topic: RE: nervous about getting B-12 injection
Piece of cake! I give it to myself subcutaneously in my stomach, and don't even feel it.

AnneGG
on 8/16/11 5:37 am, edited 8/16/11 5:37 am
Topic: RE: has anyone had a problem getting B12???
Ah, so this explains the difficulty I had getting my script filled a couple of days ago- I had to talk to the pharmacist directly.

AnneGG
on 8/16/11 5:32 am
Topic: RE: Dear Newbies: STAY OFF THE DAMN SCALE!!!
Gotcha, Nik, about newbies and scale obsession. Guess it's like the difference in types of eating- healthy vs. obsessional. I'm still working at what healthy is- it's a whole new place for me!
AnneGG
on 8/16/11 3:38 am, edited 8/16/11 3:41 am
Maybe because I am pretty new at this maintenance phase, I am being hypervigilant. But I keep hearing over and over (often on these boards) about regain, and after working so hard to get where I am I just don't want to go there. I love where I'm at- I just want to stay here, and I know that takes ongoing work, one day at a time.
Also, I know me too well- I'm too much of a weasel. If I can justify or excuse anything, I will.
It's not about a number for me, it's about my health, and it helps me to measure and keep track. Then I can focus on other stuff.
It's just what works for me, and we're all different.

AnneGG
on 8/16/11 2:38 am
Now that I am in maintenance at 1+ year out, I weigh myself daily out of vigilance- it's a lot easier handling 1 pound than 20 or even 10. It keeps me on track, along with my daily 5 mile run. I even have a Withings wifi scale- the computer graph keeps me honest.
AnneGG
on 8/13/11 3:04 am
Topic: RE: Poll ? are you honest with your doctor?
Part of holding myself accountable was choosing my surgeon- carefully after research and several info sessions with different surgeons. And part of holding myself accountable is not bothering him with inane questions and problems. But it wouldn't support my or his intelligence if I didn't work with him and his team as partners- and I trust he's more expert than me. I couldn't do it by myself before- why should I try to do that now? By the way, he didn't know you can inject vitamin B12 subcutaneously- he does now!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views