shutterbugjunkie’s Posts

shutterbugjunkie
on 7/30/20 7:30 am
Topic: RE: Looking for an inexpensive multivitamin. Can?t find my Centrum chewable anywhere

I've been taking Centrum chewable orange burst multivitamins for the past 8 1/2 years (since my surgery on 2/11.) I can't find these anywhere now. (I've searched all of the stores, online, etc.) I emailed Centrum & they said they're still making them, but it doesn't make sense as to why ALL of the stores are out of them.

So I'm looking for another LOW COST alternative. (Please, no expensive brands. I can't afford them.) Thank you!

@poet_kelly, If you're still active on here, I'd love to hear your suggestions!

SW/258.5 Surgery Weight/249 CW/149.5 GW/140

shutterbugjunkie
on 6/19/19 7:03 am
Topic: RE: ?Donating plasma?

Don't be too embarrassed to call your doctor. It's best to get their professional opinion to avoid any potential issues that might come up from donating. I also donate at Biolife. My RNY was in 2011. I've struggled with anemia and have had one series of 8 iron infusions 2 years ago due to my iron becoming dangerously low. So keeping a close eye on your iron level is IMPORTANT! (My anemia is due to malabsorption--not from donating at Biolife.) My doctor told me that he feels it's fine that I donate my plasma. But I DO follow up with him regularly to keep a close eye on my iron levels. Biolife also monitors your iron & protein levels and will not let you donate if they don't meet THEIR requirements. I hope this helps. And I hope your personal situation turns around for you!

shutterbugjunkie
on 8/2/17 10:53 am
Topic: RE: Low iron levels--at what point should I see a hematologist and/or inquire about an iron infusion?
I saw the hematologist this morning. He's scheduling for me for one iron infusion a week for 8 weeks starting Monday. He said I should start having more energy in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed! Thanks again for your help!
shutterbugjunkie
on 7/31/17 7:32 am
Topic: RE: Low iron levels--at what point should I see a hematologist and/or inquire about an iron infusion?

Since I've been so tired for so long, I'll probably feel like a whole new person once my levels are back up & I have some energy again. Similar to like how I felt like a whole new person after my surgery---but this time obviously on a much smaller scale (pun intended).

shutterbugjunkie
on 7/31/17 7:15 am

Thanks for your input! I just scheduled an appointment to see a hematologist this Wednesday. Hopefully he can help me out.

shutterbugjunkie
on 7/31/17 7:08 am

Thanks! I actually just scheduled an appointment with a hematologist for this Wednesday. I'm anxious to see what he has to say. Up until recently I didn't know much about Ferritin levels and I guess my PCP doesn't, either because he never mentioned them being so low----only my hemoglobin levels. Thanks for your response!

shutterbugjunkie
on 7/30/17 7:27 pm

I'm 6 1/2 years post-op RNY and I've felt fantasti****il 2 summers ago. Then I had zero energy. And then all of a sudden I started getting migraines. I had testing done for the migraines & they haven't determined why I get them. Anyhow, I've recently had bloodwork done and my iron level was low. Hemoglobin was 10.6 the first time so my family doctor has me taking iron supplements 325 mg iron sulfate. Then bloodwork was rechecked again 3 months later. Hemoglobin was 10.8 and Ferritin was 8. He tripled my iron supplements (which btw I'm taking 500mg Vitamin C supplements w/ each iron pill.) I've read on here that our bodies don't absorb the sulfate iron as well as it absorbs the heme or carbonyl. So my questions are:

1) Should I let my PCP know about the other iron supplements & suggest that he prescribe one of those to me?

2) Should I go to a hematologist and seek his advice?

3) At what point does someone need an iron infusion? Does anyone know how low the Ferritin level needs to be?

shutterbugjunkie
on 8/6/12 11:33 am
Topic: RE: OT: Information wanted on Canning/Freezing Fruits & Veggies
Thanks for the info, BeccaM76! I've already requested some books from my library. I'm hoping I'll be able to get one of my gardening friends to show me the ropes. Yes, it does look like the startup costs are quite a bit. I've been looking on Craigslist for canning jars, but people are selling them for just about as much on there as what they're going for at Mendards. I've read that you have to purchase new lids each year. Is that correct? Thanks so much for your input!

shutterbugjunkie
on 8/6/12 11:18 am
How long do you keep the cookie sheet in the cooler? Then you just take the items off the cookie sheet & put them in baggies & stick them in the freezer? Also, where do you buy dry ice?

Thanks for all the info!

shutterbugjunkie
on 8/6/12 10:46 am
Topic: RE: Lost 100 lbs!!!! Did a dance on the scale!!!!
Woot, woot!!! Congratulations on reaching this AWESOME milestone!!!
shutterbugjunkie
on 8/6/12 9:40 am
Hi, all! I've never canned or frozen fruits & veggies before, but I'd definitely like to give it a try. If anyone has any recipes, hints, tips, suggestions, etc for a total newbie, please help me out! Feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you have recipes you'd like to send. Thanks so much!

shutterbugjunkie
on 8/1/12 10:39 am
Topic: RE: Arrived at my GOAL weight today--AND, it's my birthday!!
I'm 5'3". I lost just under 100 lbs in the first 9 months. Then I hit a wall. It took me the next 2 months to lose just 5 lbs. I was very frustrated & discouraged, but I knew I needed to keep doing what I was doing and the weight would continue to come off. My weight loss has been VERY slow since. BUT, it is gradually still going down. At my one year anniversary, I was down 109 lbs. Now at 18 months out, I'm down 118.5 lbs total. (So I only lost 9.5 lbs in the last 6 months.) I'm very happy with where I'm at now, but of course I'd be even happier if I lost another 10 lbs. My goal of 140 is a goal I set for myself when I first started this journey. My surgeon thought 150 would be where I'd stabilize at. I haven't exercised as much as I should have. I did start doing the Couch to 5k program back in April. I've done several 5k's since then and plan on doing several more this summer. I try to get in as much physical activity as I can without actually making it be exercise. (ie, parking farther out in the parking lot, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, etc.) I really need to do some weight training, too. I don't eat many carbs, but I do have some crackers with my cheese every day. Sometimes I'll have a peanut butter sandwich. Most days, the only carbs I have are from my crackers. I don't eat much pasta or rice, but I'll have them on very rare occassions. I still have a sweet tooth, but I really try to limit my sweets and junk food. A plain greek yogurt with some chocolate sugar-free pudding powder usually does the trick for my sweet cravings.

shutterbugjunkie
on 8/1/12 7:21 am
Thanks! I'm only 5'3" so I just now hit the "healthy" weight range on the BMI scale. I'm guessing that you're taller than me--it doesn't take much for someone to be taller than me! lol  You CAN achieve your goal!

shutterbugjunkie
on 8/1/12 7:19 am
Happy birthday to you, too!!!

shutterbugjunkie
on 8/1/12 3:21 am
Just wanted to shout out that I met my personal goal weight today!!! And I met it on my birthday! How EXCITING is that? In 3 more days I'll be 18 months out from surgery. I can honestly, truly say this surgery has been the BEST thing that's happened to me!!

I hope you're all having a wonderful day! I know I sure am!!!

shutterbugjunkie
on 5/27/12 11:12 am
Topic: RE: OT: I got a new rescue dog PICS
OMG----she's ADORABLE!!! Rescues make the best furbabies!!!
shutterbugjunkie
on 3/16/12 9:42 am
Topic: RE: MIRENA VS. PARAGUARD
I had posted this same question just last week. lol My insurance doesn't cover birth control, so I really had to give this a lot of thought. After reading the responses to my post and also doing some research on my own, I've decided to get Mirena. I'll be getting it placed this coming Tuesday. My gyno told me that because I haven't had kids before, it will probably hurt during insertion. I'm not looking forward to the pain, but I am looking forward to not having to worry about taking birth control for the next 5 years plus hopefully my periods will stop.
shutterbugjunkie
on 3/7/12 1:41 am
Topic: RE: Ladies only: Mirena vs Paragard
My gyno suggested I look into Mirena or Paragard since I'm not wanting any kids. He gave me brochures on both. I've already checked and my insurance does NOT cover birth control. My out-of-pocket fees will be:
Insertion fee: $100
6-week follow-up ultra-sound $160
Removal: $50

Mirena: $843.60 (lasts up to 5 years); pro: can eliminate periods; cons: contains hormones & MUCH more expensive than Paragard
--or--
Paragard: $754 (lasts up to 10 years); pros: no hormones & MUCH cheaper than Mirena; con: no change to monthly cycle

I'm not looking for financial advice on which one is most cost-effective, but if anyone's heard of any discounts or rebates (if there is such a thing on birth control) I'd love to hear about them.

My gyno also said that weight gain shouldn't be an issue with either method.

For those who have either one of these, please tell me your likes and/or dislikes about the method you use. Thank you!

shutterbugjunkie
on 3/4/12 10:05 pm
Topic: RE: Finally the scale moves again!
What a wonderful way to start the week! Congratulations!!!
shutterbugjunkie
on 2/29/12 8:39 am
Topic: RE: High Protein Bread/Cracker?
Brownberry Double Protein bread has 7 grams of protein in 1 slice. I buy it at WalMart or Meijer. It runs about $3 where I live.
shutterbugjunkie
on 2/29/12 2:01 am
Topic: RE: couch to 5k app
I have nothing for you as far as the apps go, but as far as running with large "girls", check into getting an Enell bra. It was featured on Oprah a few years ago. They are WONDERFUL!!! They hold you in and the "girls" don't go anywhere! Wearing an Enell bra makes it so much more comfortable to run. If you look into getting one, I strongly recommend you take your measurements and order the size according to their size chart. I purchased my first Enell bra from a store, but I've purchased my last 3 off eBay for quite a bit less than what the clothing store charges. Good luck!
shutterbugjunkie
on 2/26/12 8:50 am
Topic: RE: Recommendations for a small blender?
I just purchased the Hamilton Beach personal blender today. Can't wait to use it! (Sure wish I would have found it for $11 like another poster did, but it was $15.88 at my local WalMart.)
shutterbugjunkie
on 2/25/12 10:27 am
Topic: RE: What's your daily calorie intake at 1 year out?
I'm 10 lbs from my personal goal. I've been at a stand-still for about 3 months now. (Up and down about 5 lbs.) I'm down about 106 lbs. I've just really upped my exercise this past week and I plan on keeping it up to help me get to goal. I haven't been tracking my calories until 3 days ago. I've been averaging around 1200 calories/day. I make sure to get in at least 60 grams of protein, but it's normally not much more than that. Do you suggest that I try to stay around 1000-1200 calories? Do you think I should add a protein drink in each day? Any other suggestions? Thanks so much for your help!
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 447 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 456 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 401 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 112 views
Forum Search Error & 404