Gastric bypass 2/5/05 questions on revision

ccolkitt
on 9/27/18 12:21 pm
  • Does anyone know if insurance covers revisions? I need all the information I can get regarding this.
  • Thank you- Candice
rows4u
on 9/27/18 8:40 pm
Revision on 03/11/13

I had revision surgery in 2013 from the sleeve to the bypass and insurance covered it at 100%. It's 2018 and I'm having issues with the bypass and having to have a revision of the bypass and I just got my letter today that it is being covered.

Good Luck!

Rose

ccolkitt
on 9/28/18 2:08 am

That's awesome they will cover it. I had it 2/5/05. I don't have any complications other than my stomach being stretched not sure if they will over it that. I heard about the bypass reset diet. I need to try bc I'm gaining weight which is why I wanted a revision.

Good luck!!! I hope everything works out.

Gonnabskinni2018
on 10/19/18 9:36 am
  1. May I ask what is going on with your bypass now that you are revising?
rows4u
on 10/19/18 1:01 pm
Revision on 03/11/13

I have a pouch on the beginning of my small intestines and my stomach pouch is stretched out as well as the opening of my small intestines. I have acid reflex really bad and I either get sick from eating or the food goes right through me at times.

Amy R.
on 9/27/18 10:47 pm

Every insurance carrier is different and even policies within the same carrier can be different. The only way you can know for sure is to call the 1-800 number on the back of your insurance card.

If they confirm they will cover the surgery, make them send you something in writing, and dated. Print that out if you need to in order to have a hard copy. Or take a copy of the page in your policy that proves coverage. Insurances are notorious for saying all kinds of things and then doing another.

Good Luck, I wish we could answer these insurance things for people but there just is no way for us to know.

ccolkitt
on 9/28/18 2:06 am

Thank you for your help! I know that's a tough one to even answer. I have UHC. I will call.

rocky513
on 9/28/18 3:23 am - WI

Most insurance companies have a one WLS per lifetime clause. If you have some sort of mechanical failure of your original surgery they might pay to repair or revise it.

Have you gone through testing to see if your original surgery is still working and intact? That will be required before you can get a revision. If everything checks out medically with your original surgery it will be very difficult to get your insurance to pay for a revision. It can be done, but be prepared for fight.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active
Recent Topics