Revision from VSG to mini bypass or transoral incisionless fundoplication

menissaann
on 10/6/18 1:17 pm, edited 10/7/18 6:03 pm

I have severe GERD and am 6 years post op from VSG. My GI dr has suggested a revision or trying a

transoral incisionless fundoplication. I don?t know which one to do. I have gained 20lbs back from my VSG and like the thought of possibly loosing more. But my main thing is I want to help my GERD and regurgitation. My fear with the Mini bypass is the malabsorption? My husbands aunt had the bypass and had to have it reversed because she could not get nutrition (but she had severe health problems before her surgery and after-not related to the bypass) she has a form of MS. Anyone have bad malabsorption and had to have it reversed? If you had revision from VSG to mini did it help your GERD? The other procedure he suggested is making a longer esophagus with my stomach.

Many suggestions would be great. Thanks

stacyrg
on 10/8/18 10:58 am
VSG on 05/12/14

My VSG was in May 2014. I revised in July 2016 because of severe GERD. I haven't had any issues with malabsorption. My GERD was greatly improved because of the revision, but it did not fully resolve. I'm still on a daily PPI.

GRANDMAr
on 12/3/18 9:40 am
VSG on 10/21/16

Hi,

I actually have a statement and question.

When I was trying to decide which WLS I should have, I decides on the bypass. However, after I had my endoscopic exam, I was told that with the bypass I would not be able to get an endoscope to keep an eye on my stomach. I was concerned about cancer. So, I was sleeved Oct. 21, 2016.

I did not lose quickly and I never reached goal. Before surgery, my highest recorded weight was 261 lbs. At surgery, I was 241 lbs. I am 5 ft. 6 in. Due to spine issues, I am not active and I can barely walk. The lowest weight I reached was 171 lbs. that lasted an hour (lol).

In the last 6 months I've had 2 major spine surgeries whichhas meant steroids, pain killers andother meds to control muscle spasms and nerve inflammation. Then of course, my daily meds. I am now approximately 11 weeks out from my 2nd spine surgery. Recovery for this surgery has been very difficult. In addition, I am gaining lots of weight. I now fluctuate from 183 to 186. This is over a 10 pound weight gain!

Aside the gain is the fact I never reached my goal. Although my doc does not believe in goal setting. Me? I do! My first goal is 161 lbs. to make my total loss 100 lbs. Depending on how I feel at that weight, I might consider another 5 or 10 lb. loss.

Why all this information? I am very curious about going for revision surgery. Does revision surgery have specific requirements like the first did? High BP, sleep apnea, etc.? I know all onsurances are different but is the surgery coveredby insurance.

Sorry for being so long winded. I appreciate any info you can share.

Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

stacyrg
on 12/3/18 9:44 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I don't have an answer since my revision was medically necessary because of my GERD and was not for additional weight loss. I think it's also dependent on your insurance. Some companies have a one WLS per lifetime limit. Your best bet is probably to check directly with your insurance company to see what its requirements are.

GRANDMAr
on 12/3/18 10:39 am
VSG on 10/21/16

Thanks. I will. I see the doc in January.

BTW....How have you found the revision. I know you need to be much more careful about what you eat and how much (or you get sick).

Gonnabskinni2018
on 11/15/18 5:33 am

What did you decide to do?

Most Active
Recent Topics