Anyone NOT solve GERD with Sleeve to RNY revision?

ktgrl8383
on 8/13/20 1:52 pm

I had VSG back in 2012 and developed GERD post-op. Been medicating for it daily ever since but now after 2 kids and weight gain, the daily medication is not as effective. I've read a lot about revision to RNY can help with GERD but I'm wondering if it's a pretty sure way to fix it or could it not fix it at all? Back when I was getting the Sleeve, no one was talking about GERD as a potential life-long side effect so I don't want to be uninformed again going into this. If I'm gonna go through another surgery, I want it to fix my GERD, I hate it so much.

ladygodiva1228
on 8/17/20 8:17 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On August 13, 2020 at 8:52 PM Pacific Time, ktgrl8383 wrote:

I had VSG back in 2012 and developed GERD post-op. Been medicating for it daily ever since but now after 2 kids and weight gain, the daily medication is not as effective. I've read a lot about revision to RNY can help with GERD but I'm wondering if it's a pretty sure way to fix it or could it not fix it at all? Back when I was getting the Sleeve, no one was talking about GERD as a potential life-long side effect so I don't want to be uninformed again going into this. If I'm gonna go through another surgery, I want it to fix my GERD, I hate it so much.

I can't speak on the sleeve to rny, but I can tell you that I had the lapband for years and suffered horrible GERD/Reflux. In 2015 I revised to the rny and unless I eat hot and spicy food my heartburn/reflux/GERD what ever anyone wants to label it was gone when I woke up from the revision.

Now I am not saying it is a cure all, but for the majority of folks the revision seems to help them a bunch. Best of luck.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Blondie65441
on 8/18/20 8:59 pm
RNY on 08/19/20

I had a lap band for 19 years and developed severe GERD during the last year of it. It has slipped and eroded. Tomorrow morning I have RNY, and the primary purpose is to rid me forever of the GERD. It is a very effective operation toward that end. My lap band was removed in December of 2019. I had lost all of my weight with it, but after it was removed, I gained 50 lbs. So, onto the RNY. RNY should do the same for you.

catwoman7
on 8/17/20 12:06 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I'm not a revision, so I can't speak for myself, but I've been hanging out on this site for about six years. From what i can tell, revision to RNY (for GERD) does seem to work for most people, but like with anything, there are always a few outliers....

tracyringo
on 1/13/21 12:04 pm
VSG on 08/09/17

I had revision and still have GERD. The good news is I went from erosive esophagitis D to A after revising back in May. I still take my PPI too and the caraffete. I dont have the burning all day long like before so that is better too.

Most Active
Recent Topics