Common channel shortening as revision to gastric bypass

freshpeaches
on 1/14/22 4:07 pm
Revision on 12/22/21

Had Lap RNY Dec 2004. Starting weight 411 lbs. By Dec 2006, I'd lost down to 250 lbs. Weight slowly increased over the years for various reasons and fluctuated between 280-300 lbs, but after starting menopause 1st part of 2020 & contracting covid-19 in Oct 2020, my weight started and kept ballooning, so I decided in Jul 2021 to have revision surgery. I was told I would have common channel shortening, but was ill-informed on the actual procedure, so I wasn't fully aware at all of its effectiveness or lack thereof. Needless to say...fast forward to Dec 2, 2021 (pre-op appt), I now weighed 340 lbs! Lost 10 lbs during my 2 week pre-op diet. Had common channel shortening surgery & gallbladder removal on Dec 22nd. I'm 24 days post op and I've only lost 16-17 lbs and that's because I'm only consuming very little. 1-2 protein shakes/day, 1 scrambled egg, a few tbsp of tuna, salmon, or turkey, 1/2 pack instant oatmeal, baked fish, low fat yogurt, protein water, and chicken broth for the most part is what my diet has consisted of. Most days, I'm struggling with drinking and eating much at all, so my daily caloric intake at this point MIGHT be 500 calories, but probably less. Granted, because I've been in a good amount of pain post-op, I've done very little to no exercise since. Still...considering the small amount of liquids/foods I'm consuming, I would've thought the weight loss would be more significant. Anyone have any thoughts, knowledge, advice or experience in this situation? My doctor is now saying revision weight loss will be way less than the original bypass, but I'm now wondering if this procedure is even effective to get me out of the 300's to the low 200's?? The weight loss I've experienced so far, I honestly feel as though I did it on my own without help of the common channel shortening! Clearly I have a LOT of weight to lose, so why do a procedure on a 340 lb individual that may possibly only result in 20-30 lb weight loss? I will be asking these questions at my next appointment in 2 weeks, but ANY response will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance...

White Dove
on 1/26/22 4:39 pm - Warren, OH

Sadly the 20-30 pound weight loss is common with revision and mostly due to the pre-op liquid diet and not being able to eat much until you have completely healed from the surgery.

One theory is that when we first have weight loss surgery our stomach is at least able to hold the amount of a two-liter bottle of soda. Some have a much larger capacity. So that big stomach is reduced to a tiny stomach not a lot bigger than a grape. This is a drastic change in the amount of food that we can consume. We lose weight very rapidly.

After a few years we learn how to eat enough calories so that we gain weight even with our tiny stomach. After a revision we might have a stomach that holds four ounces instead of six, but that is not much difference. The common channel shortening seems like it should make a big difference. But weight loss seems to never be like after a virgin surgery.

Carrie Wilson is a singer who had weight loss surgery about 30 years ago. She lost a lot of weight and regained. Then had a lapband placed over her bypass and lost 30 pounds with the revision, strict diet, and exercise program. I had surgery in 2007 and have to follow a diet or I will regain. The first 30 months was quick and easy, after that I started to regain and went back to Weigh****chers. I fight regain because I know what happens if I don't.

I am completely opposed to protein shakes. I feel they make it too easy to get calories in and try to concentrate on lean dense protein. Beef, pork, fish, and poultry for most of my food. Some vegetables, a very tiny amount of fruit (a one-size serving of applesauce lasts me for three servings). I exercise and drink a lot of water. I still end up with around 1400 calories a day. I weigh myself everyday and hold myself accountable for anything I eat.

When I have weight to lose I am happy to lose a pound a week. I do hope you come back and let us know how you are doing and what your doctor tells you. Wishing you the best.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics