Revision from RNY to DS

LIZA B.
on 9/14/22 6:08 am - GARNER, NC

Hi WLS Family.....it's been 21 years since I had my gastric bypass. I initially lost about 180lbs and in 21 years have gained, lost and gained again about 70lbs, lost 50, gained 50, etc. I'm still at an over 100lb weight loss, however, I suffer from a rather large abdominal hernia, and I can't have it repaired until I loose 50lbs again. My hernia surgeon suggested I get a revision to my gastric bypass.

I have found a bariatric surgeon, who suggested switching me to a duodenal switch. I'm looking for anyone else who's had the DS after gastric bypass, and what is your experience. What should I expect? Anything that can help me prepare for this change.

Thanks for your help and I hope everyone has a fabulous day!

airbender
on 11/20/22 5:13 pm

be very careful who you allow to revise you from RNY to DS as there are only a handful of surgeon who can take down the pouch and convert it to a sleeve. The limb lengths are simple to adjust. Simple doesnt imply they should be.

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

michele035
on 1/1/23 4:50 am - PA

Hi, I had a revision from RNY to DS in June 2019 and went from 272 to 220. Things went very slow. I think I didn't really realize that when you aren't having a "virgin" surgery, you don't lose as much as quickly. I went very fast and lost a LOT on my RNY. I had the same expectations (stupidly) with the DS. OK facts, I was menopausal (older) so a slower metabolism as well. I was on the right track losing (albeit slowly) when COVID hit. Couldn't go to the gym and stopped losing due to bad eating habits, no exercise etc. Totally my own fault. If I hadn't done that, I don't know how much I could have lost. I am currently trying to get myself back on track after a few years of just living stupidly and not focusing on my weight and health.

The one thing I wish I had done, was manage my expectations of how fast and how much I would lose. In doing a lot of research I know that the revision surgeries are slower and may/may not lose as much. I have read stories of people who have lost a LOT of weight but not as much or as quickly as their first surgery. I think just managing your expectations of how quickly you lose is important. RNY you really lose quickly. DS definitely not as much. Hope this helps.

White Dove
on 1/2/23 12:29 pm - Warren, OH
  • I used to teach a class for people having weight loss surgery. I would show them a 2-liter bottle of soda and tell them that is what their original stomach can hold. Then show them the cap from that soda bottle and tell them that is what their new stomach will hold.

With revision you are starting with a small stomach and making it a bit smaller, but there is not a dramatic difference. Losing just 20 pounds with a revision is pretty common. You lost more due to the DS changes.

I think you did great for a revision. In the end it does come down to what you eat and how much you burn. But you are correct that surgeons do not explain this to a revision patient.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

michele035
on 1/2/23 12:41 pm - PA

thank you for that! I was a self pay and I think he really just didn't tell me because of that. LOL. Then again I have selective memory. Trying to get myself back on track with simple walking and some basic weights will get me back on target. And by target I mean on the downsize rather than upwards. I keep trying to figure out if having the DS gives me any "advantage" to helping lose weight now. I am 3 years out and the thing that I can't seem to find the answer to, is am I like I was at 18 years old trying to lose weight again (ugh) or do I have any type of "leg up". I know when I had my original surgery that was all I was looking for. Not a "miracle" but rather some help since I felt like growing up I could just not lose weight (I have hypthyroidism and nothing worked, from WW to a dietician). the only way I was finally able to lose was RNY with working out 4-5 times a week. Just haven't been able to acertain if my DS now 3 years out is helping me lose at all. :)

White Dove
on 1/2/23 4:23 pm - Warren, OH

From what I understand about DS is that you do not absorb fat well, but do absorb every bit of carbs. I think you get the most advantage from a DS if you eat low carb and high fat. That might be the leg up you are looking for.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics