OT asking about Rapid City

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 9/23/10 1:21 am, edited 9/23/10 1:22 am
Hi Folks

I live in the NE panhandle and haven't had a full time job for years. (BOO!)  I have a house that I love and some roots here but may need to relocate anyway. how strange it would be to get health insurance.

I know of a job in Rapid City, so I'm looking for a bit of general info about the area from those who know it.

I can see the data on websites - general climate, price of houses, population, etc  - I am wondering what is your opinion of Rapid City?  how livable, how friendly, like that.

thanks for anything you can tell me!

hugs
Jackie

edited to add:  I grew up in northern Minnesota and have lived in Colorado which I LOVE but I don't find any full time jobs there. darn it!

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

aprilalison
on 2/10/11 1:36 am - SD
Hi there,
I don't know if you're still looking for a response or not, but thought I'd give you my impression.  I like Rapid City.  I moved here about 7 years ago after visiting for a family reunion.  The weather isn't bad for a northern place - Rapid City is in the banana belt so we get sheltered by the Black Hills from a lot of nasty weather and temperatures.  The next few days should be in the 40s and it's February!  We get our share of hot and cold, but it's not extreme and not too often. 
For me, the city is a great size - not too small, not too big.  We have lots of great restaurants because Rapid City is a tourist town for the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, the Badlands and the Sturgis motorcycle rally (Sturgis is 1/2 hour away but most folks stay in Rapid.)  There are lots of nice lakes for boating or fishing and the people are nice.  I notice your username indicates you have pets.  If you have dogs, it's such a great area.  We have several leashless dog parks - the closest to me is about a mile away and has a lovely shallow brook for dogs to play in and lots of room to run and you'll find friendly people and dogs there.  The terrain is gorgeous - I live in a log cabin in a canyon with rock walls on all sides - just beautiful.  We get to see some wildlife - my husband pets the deer, but not the Bighorn Sheep!  We don't hear traffic, it's peaceful and the neighbors are nice and we're just a mile out of the city AND we can still get 2 different delivery pizzas out there.  There's lots of shopping, which is growing and there are lots of things to do.  Geocaching is awesome out here and a great way to get fun exercise. 
I hope this helps and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

April
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 2/10/11 1:52 am
Hi April - actually the job never came through and I had forgotten all about this post but thanks for your reply.

very interesting, actually, I think it's cool you live in a log cabin and can still get pizza delivered!

I have visited the area and I know it's beautiful - I also remember camping in the Black Hills and there were no mosquitos, that was impressive!

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

size 8, life is great

aprilalison
on 2/10/11 2:40 am - SD
Sorry to hear the job didn't go through.  That's a bummer.  

Ha - yes, no mosquitos is NICE!  We LOVE to sit out on the back porch when it's nice and just enjoy the air and watch our dogs play like crazy. 

I'm not sure if OT is for Occupational Therapist or not, but in case it is and you're still looking, if I can be of any help, let me know.  I work for the largest employer in Rapid (Regional Health) who owns 5 hospitals and gobs of clinics.  I'm in the IT department, so not directly with patients or anything, but I know some people here - I've worked here for 6 yearsish. 

On the weight loss side, I was very lucky to get LapBand surgery when I did - I have some disc problems in my lower back and because of those expenses in that year, I'd paid my out-of-pocket maximum for our insurance for the year ($1700) and since my surgery was before the new fiscal year, I didn't pay a penny.  So far my entire cost has been the pre-diet food (about $100) and so far $20 for a fill (though I've had 6 fills now).  Not bad at all.  I'm 66 lbs down so far and thrilled!  I'll admit, there are some doctors in our "network" that I simply do not like at ALL, but our bariatric staff is freaking amazing.  They are so kind and so sweet and encouraging they make me look forward to my appointments. 

Good luck and I hope things are going well for you!   I wish you much luck in your journey! 

April

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 2/10/11 4:01 am
well, the OT in my post heading was for off topic and now I can't remember what I said but I am a COTA - Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant.  I mostly have worked in nursing homes and enjoy that more than hospitals.

glad to hear your weight loss is going OK. I self paid for a VSG down in Mexico because I haven't had health insurance for a long time. oh, well, better to be thin and poor than fat and poor!!!  I have been at goal for awhile but hang out on OH everyday. it's a great source of info & I've met some nice peeps.

I am still job hunting but will probaby move West if possible - maybe Oregon or even Nevada!

size 8, life is great

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bariatric Event!
monymony · 0 replies · 6121 views
LGBT forum invitation
seanbear66rn · 0 replies · 6060 views
Hello all
stephp77 · 0 replies · 5972 views