I am home and sleeved.

StrawWalker
on 5/8/11 4:53 am
Hello fellow OH peoples.  I am glad to say I am home and well sleeved.  I had my VSG surgery in Regina on May 2, 2011.  Got home on the following Thursday.  I have to say that Dr. Pooler and his team are remarkable.  They did a wonderful job.  It is the best of my knowledge that actually all three surgeons were in the or suite, Dr. Kaban, Dr. Pooler and Dr. Butler.  I was very well cared for.  A huge thank you to them!

As a side note....those poor nurses are run off thier feet. 

Recovery has been text book I think.  First day I was feeling very tough.  Second day better but not that great.  Third day I woke and felt really good.  The only challenge now is to keep hydrated.  I could initially only consume 2oz of liquid in a 20 min. period at first.  Felt I had to pu**** and try to get more in. 

If you can believe it, I drool at the thought of liverwurst.  Smacking my lips thinking about it.  My experience so far has pretty much reflected the general opinions and journeys of other fellow VSGers.  I am quite excited to see what the future is going to bring.

Billie.....WTF....350?????  My God man.  You ROCK! 
Till next time....
Straw Walker
notoriousgrannyD
on 5/9/11 6:55 am
VSG on 10/16/12
Congratulations on a successful sleeving!  I am glad you are feeling well.  I am fairly new on the MB list (which is apparently somewhere around 700 people) and feeling discouraged.  I was just wondering what the list is like in other provinces.  How long did it take for your procedure from the time of referral.  AB people seem to have to jump through hoops and sign their lives away for their surgeries (maybe they do this to weed out the "weak" ones -lol) 

Anyway just wondering what the whole procedure from initial Dr. visit to last pound shed was like for SK. 

NGD
StrawWalker
on 5/9/11 10:38 pm
It was 4 years if you can believe it.  I was just moments away from going to Mexico actually as the wait was too incredulous and the fact that VSG is not a standard procedure offered here in Sask.  I was thinking about making arrangements with Dr. Aceves in Mexico.  If this is something that you would consider and afford self pay (approx. 10,000.00 or less), then I would talk with Billie F here on the Sask site or others that have been to that Dr.  My researched showed that he was very good and competent with minimal to no complications.

My heart goes out to you.  All the best on your journey.
Straw Walker
notoriousgrannyD
on 5/9/11 11:02 pm
VSG on 10/16/12
Thanks for the info Straw Walker.  I am thinking of researching Vegas.  My husband's best friend has a house there and we would be welcome to stay as long as possible (and way more comfty than a hotel - and cheaper!!)  Also if we flew from Bismark with Allegiant Air is is only $500 for both of us, round trip and all taxes in so that is a huge savings in that respect.  I know it would be a little more than mexico but I also wouldn't have to worry about  hubby getting bored as he and his friend can see the sights (and leave me alone! haha)  Also his friend had a lap band just before Christmas in 2010 so he TOTALLY knows what this is about and will not judge (and has along of protien shakes!)  

I just need to find out how much and the procedure to get in...... but who am I kidding, it all comes down to price!

take care

NGD
GonnaDoThis
on 9/12/11 5:29 am
 hi, I am from Saskatchewan and just started my presurgery six month program. I was on the wait list exactly one year. Good luck to you!
BillieF
on 5/12/11 12:12 am - prince albert, Canada
Congrats on getting your sleeve . What is the diet program like for the next few weeks. I find going to support meetings to be very helpfully. Enjoy the ride and good things will happen.

~Bill~

PS since i posted the 350 lost i have lost another 6 lbs. i have another 18lbs to get to my goal...
StrawWalker
on 5/13/11 12:09 am
Thanks Bill. The diet consists of protien and water for two weeks and then on to mushies I believe. What was your diet like early on out and when could you graduate to normal food? What did you eat during your losing phase? Where do you find support meetings?

Wow...your weight loss is truly incredible! You must be so proud of yourself.

Take care
Straw Walker
BillieF
on 5/13/11 7:57 am - prince albert, Canada

My diet was 1 week of clear fluids then 2 weeks of full liquid's then 5 weeks of soft foods. then to a normal diet. all i did was watch carbs no potato pasta rice and bread. I did not worry about fats at all. I did not count caliors very close.  I am by no means  an experts  It just worked for me....

~Bill~

Butterfly2BVS
on 6/9/11 7:10 am - Canada
 Hey Straw Walker......I was wondering if you could tell me more about the VSG surgery in Regina.  I am Finally on the wait list to see the doctor and was only told they are doing bypass......now you have me excited that I might be able to actually have the VSG surgery that I want.  I am still hoping that the wait list goes down and I can have the surgery sooner.......I am now on a medical leave from work and would love to go back. ......but I am more focused on the fact that the VSG surgery is being possibly being done here in SASK.....did you have to request it??.....sorry.....if you could let me know how it came about that you were able to get VSG I would be very grateful

Butterfly
StrawWalker
on 6/9/11 2:37 pm
Hey butterfly, when you get in to speak with the surgeon, then request the vsg. Give them your reasoning for wanting it over the rny and you may be quite pleased. All three surgeons were very receptive to the idea of doing the vsg.
Take care
StrawWalker
Most Active