More stuff about Vanderbilt......

Truly Trina
on 5/23/11 4:19 am - Nashville, TN
So, after posting some "honest to God" answers to some fun questions asked by the moderator of a really cool Vanderbilt Obesity Help Group..  I thought I would share my answers here too...  Oh, by the way... Congrats to Terri Troup on finishing your Master's program...  So this does mean your earning potential has gone through the roof and next time you can buy lunch.. RIGHT????? please for the love of God do not forget those of us suffering through various Nutrition programs trying to complete our UnderGrads..... I may be interning at my own support group...LOL  Jessica... shut up.....  I know what you are wanting to say... just Shut up.... LOL

The following are some answers that I provided to some questions about who is my surgeon, what type of surgery did I have and why did I choose *that* certain procedure, and last but not least, have I had any issues as a result of weight loss surgery.....

My name is Trina...

My surgeon is Dr. Richards.... Dr. Richards is no longer a surgeon with Vanderbilt. He has moved on to to operate and teach bariatric surgery to up and coming surgeons at another hospital.. Not sure where. If you happen to live in the part of the country where Dr. Richards is you should run and sign up with him as soon as possible before it is too late..LOL   Don't let this blurb scare you.  We all become emotionaly attached to the surgeon we ulitimatly choose.  However, in reality, pretty much after your post-op visit you probably won't be seeing your surgeon after that point unless he invites you to his house for a social outing.  Still then the odds of receiving that coveted invite might not arrive in the mail box no matter how hard to stare at it..  This is not a bad thing...  I mean think about it, you only want to have future pow wow's with your surgeon if you are preparing for surgery.  I don't want any more surgeries... So I have no more further needs for intimate relationships with my surgeon.  This is where your vital cool surgical team will come in to play.  Get to know each and every one of them.. Trust me, you will want to talk to them later on down the road...

In light of my medical history my surgeon decided it was best for *me* to have the Roux-en-Y procedure. As a result of this decision that my surgeon and I agreed upon I was asked to consider the following possibilities:

1. For the rest of my life, I would be at a slight risk for intestinal obstruction. *considering I was currently dying a slow miserable death, this was a risk that seemed to be a no brainer..*

2. You have to modify your diet. *Oh my, this was a tough one.*

3. You may experience more-frequent bowel movements. *I am a southern belle. Southern belle's do not have discussions about these sort of things because they do not have these sort of things.*

4. You may experience nutritional deficiencies and, therefore, you have to take nutritional supplements for the rest of your life. *Oh, no.. I want to talk to the person in charge.. I was under the impression that I could get off all my pills and eliminate the cost of pills...*

5. You may experience dumping syndrome if you eat something too high in sugar or fat. *This is a tool that Trina will need. Yes, we all agree that Trina needs this..*

As a result of having Weight Loss Surgery, I have lost 165 pounds. And not only did I lose 165 pounds I have kept that weight loss off for over 5 years.

Yes, I have had issues... Depending on who you ask and what day you ask them will determine the response you will receive about my issues... LOL... But on a more serious note... Yes, I have had issues... Please ask away and I will be happy to share my issues.. All of my issues can fit in the following circles...                                 Just pick a circle, any circle....  LOL

Trinafat05-19-06-1.jpg 100 x 75 picture by trina_davis_photoTrinaandBobbieJuly2008-1-2-1-1.jpg 63 x 100 picture by trina_davis_photo*Member of Student Dietetics*  *Certified support group leader Obesity Help*  Patient Rep support group moderator Vanderbilt Center Surgical Weight Loss
Start weight 277    Reached my goal weight 115

droopy
on 3/23/12 11:18 pm
 When does the support group meet?  I live about 2 hours from Nashville and would love to try to make it to some support groups.  I had surgery in May of 2008.  Was doing well until last year and my port began leaking.  I recently had a port replacement and want to get back on track after regaining 28 pounds.  I'm very short so every pound shows.  Hopefully this new port will help give me the confidence I lost over the last year!  I know it is up to me but in my mind "maybe this will help my confindence".  I'm sure a lot of family members are laughing behind my back saying "I told you so", but I am determined to do this again!  Thanks for letting me vent.  Your posts have helped me so much over the past several years.
Most Active
Recent Topics