No replies beforebut maybe this time.

tnginginlost
on 2/26/12 4:53 am - TN
Hi, I posted over a month ago and no one replied but I don't give up. I have a question for those of you that is several years past surgery. Has anyone had problems with developing hypogllycemia or even diabetes since your surgery?
I have lately but could be from many of the other health problems that I have and not related to my sugar. I have never had one regret of having the gastric bypass. would do it again.
I do think it is a choice but maybe not foreveryone. I really think with my heart problems, I would not have lived to be 62 which I turned this month!
I did not make the choice to do any plastic work due a lot to my health but I have thought if I had the chance, I would do a couple things just for the fact of my skin in hot weather can be irratited. I am in Tennessee but don't really know where anyone else is located.
Blessings to all, GinGin

janice2007
on 2/26/12 6:16 am - clarksville, TN
 Hi Gin
My husband had RNY along with me (one month apart).
We both had different health issues. 
He had been diabetic for 20+years insulin dependent at time of surgery , high blood pressure, and starting kidney issues.
He ran blood sugars in the 350 range before surgery. It took 1 year out and he decreased from over 65 units a day to around 6 a day.
Then he stepped on something his foot became infected and got MRSA. They put him on antibiotics that caused him to have acute kidney failure. They fixed the acute failure BUT his function is down now. And he has become hypoglycemic because the kidney does not process the insulin out of his body.as effectively. He no longer takes insulin and we have to keep a watch for the hypoglycemia making sure he eats enough.

MY point being is if you had been a diabetic before and are now experiencing hypoglycemia you may need to have your kidney filtration rate checked to see if you have had any downward progression in kidney function.

His blood pressure issue did not correct itself with the RNY surgery.

I was borderline diabetic and have had normal 70-80 fasting blood sugars now.
My borderline Hypertension did correct itself with the RNY surgery.

My surgery was more preventative, my husbands surgery was more for trying to improve outcome ongoing health issues. Saving his kidney function from having to process so much blood from being overweight was one big one.

mjloyd
on 3/19/12 10:57 pm - Gallatin, TN
I developed what seems like hypoglycemia but I actually attribute it to dumping syndrome. If I eat a lot of something with sugar, my blood sugar drops! I had gastric bypass and don't regret it because having the dumping syndrome keeps my honest and out of my old friend "sugar"!

Janie

tnginginlost
on 3/20/12 1:56 am - TN
Hi Janie, I did a big mistake yesterday. We was in Clarksville doing all the running to get things done that we can't do in small town usa. LOL  I decided we would go have chinense and was that ever a mistalke. On the way home, I had to take my sugar and it was 135 ! Instead of really low it was really high.  I have been really good today and I won't be going there to eat again. I can't walk away from the little things that have cream cheese and crab meat in them. BAD !
I noticed that Dr. Hugh Houston did your surgery. Where did you have it done?  I saw him when I first went many years ago to talk with the surgeon about the surgery. He was doing his resisdence at the office at Vanderbilt.  When I was a little girl, everyone around here went to Murray, Ky. to the doctors and I was shocked when he came in and told me his name. HIs , either, Father or Grand father was a doctor in Murray for many many years and a great doc. It could have been both, just can't remember. I really knew he was going to be a awesome doctor with his genes.
It took a while for me to decided to do the surgery and he had finished and I thought gone back to Ky. to do the gastric surgery.
I'm really excited right now for my only Neice, she is very over weight and in early 30's with three children. She went to the local Doctor last week and then last night she went to Gateway for a meeting on the lap band. I so pray that she will have success. She has hight blood pressure and heart disease runs in our family as well as many other issues caused by being obese. I have to get her on this site for support.
Thank for replying to me. Happy FIRST DAY OF SPRING !
Lana

mjloyd
on 3/20/12 2:25 am - Gallatin, TN
Hi Lana,

I can't do Chinese either! I dump on it every time. There are things that I can eat but it's not the things that I like. I love the crab rangoon too. I also tend to eat too much when I do buffets.

Yes, Dr. Houston did my surgery. He was awesome! I really like him. He's got a way of getting you to do what you're supposed to.

Good luck! Stay on track and you may not have those blood sugar issues. There is a group here called Back on Track Together. You might benefit from it!

Good luck to you !
Janie

melsreturn
on 4/11/12 9:56 am - Madison, TN
 Yes I do experience hypoglycemic symptoms also.  And, its often a result of NOT eating timely.  Instead of eating 3 times a day, I have found that eating 6 small meals a day is better for my body.  

I like to think of it like this.  Many people can fill up their stomachs at a meal and have enough fuel to run til the next meal (sort of like filling up a gas tank in the car).  Well my gas tank is smaller...  so I can't make as long of trips.  I have to stop more frequently to fuel up.

You may find that spacing out your calories and meals each day will help.  I know of many post wls people who have this problem.

And, what Janie was talking about...  you can experience hyperglycemic issues if you eat too much sugar.  Suddenly, the insulin is dumped out into your system, the blood sugar drops and you can really be in trouble...  

Low blood sguar is dangerous.  You have to take care of yourself...  

tnginginlost
on 4/22/12 12:05 pm - TN
Hi and thanks for the replies. I'm just a total wreck! If not one thing then another. I am really doing good with eating right,right amounts and keeping a log on foods, times and doing my sugar soon as I awake in the am, again before meals other than snacks and at bed time I am like most and just want it to go away ! Had enough health problems.
Do any of you know if there is a possible number of people with gastric bypass and doing the lap band and how the sugar problem has or has not effected them.
I'm only a week away for major surgery for a cystacele surgery and I'm really in a panic mood. Today I didn't go to church! I just didn't want any noise around me,period. I slept all day. I did get three blood checks in but I didn't eat. Long as I am laying down, I don't have to drain my bladder! I would love to be more active on here and maybe that will happen.
I do have fibromyalgia and I have groupls that I'm close to for years and I just don't get there as often either.  I'm really become a old selfish one there days. LOL
I'm just tired , worn out, and really not the happiest I'd like to be and the sugar thing has really throwed me for a loop.
I hope to hear from both your again. I do hope you will have some helpful hints to help me. One big thing for me is meals and what to fix so my family will eat the same, just more of it. I'm a country cook and some receipes I have found, I don't know what half the stuff is.
Blessings to all of you and Thanks for being my friend.
Elaine(gingin)  Oh, I'm going to be  a GREAT GRANDMOTHER for the first time!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics