Question for Centennial (Nashville) post-ops

katikati
on 1/16/13 4:35 pm - Eads, TN
VSG on 02/06/13

My mom is going to be staying in the room with me after my surgery.  I've read that the Women's Hospital at Centennial guest bed in the patient rooms is a chair that folds out into a bed.  I'm a little concerned about my Mom's comfort while she's there with me, because I will probably be in the hospital for three days after surgery.  Can anyone give me a better description of the chair/bed?  She's overweight and 60 years old, and I'm just afraid she's going to be so uncomfortable.  Can she sleep in it like a recliner?  Is it really narrow, or is it really hard?  Also, do you generally get a private room, or do you have a room mate?  Anything at all you can share would be much appreciated.  I've tried in vain to actually just find a picture of one of their rooms.  Thanks!

mom2threeboyz
on 1/17/13 1:43 am - Colorado Springs, CO

The chair is not like a recliner.  it just folds down to a tiny bed.  My 6 ft husband had to sleep in one each time we had the kids.   3 different hospitals in two states and they were the same lol.    You can always ask if they have a room with a couch.   Otherwise....it really is not going to be fun for your mom. =(

k9ophile
on 1/17/13 3:45 am

My husband was overweight and 67 when he slept on the little fold open thing.  We could have afforded a hotel  room for him, yet he chose to stay with me.  I just asked him about it and he doesn't remember much about it.  He had surgery at the main hospital a few years before my WLS. Same story only I wasn't that old, yet was massively overweight.  Yeah, it wasn't a Beauty Rest, but I'd do it again in a heart beat. 

If she cannot tolerate it, ask local hotels if they give discounts for situations like this.  I got a discount for the night we stayed before I went into the hospital at the Holiday Inn just blocks from Centennial.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

Tammy Davis
on 1/24/13 5:15 am - Cookeville, TN

My mom is having gastric bypass the day before me, so I have to try and sleep in whatever is provided. it won't be fun Im sure seeig that I have to take my bowel prep that evening.

katikati
on 1/24/13 5:19 am - Eads, TN
VSG on 02/06/13

We'll probably run into each other, Tammy.  I'm having surgery the same day as you.  :)  How exciting that your mom is getting it too!

katikati
on 1/24/13 5:20 am - Eads, TN
VSG on 02/06/13

Oh, and taking the bowel prep the night before that should make for an interesting time at the hospital.  At least the bathroom will be nearby!  :P

Tammy Davis
on 1/25/13 10:11 am - Cookeville, TN

Yeah if I can get over whatever is making me feel so cruddy. Ive had a sore throat, small 2 point fever and my head has been hurting for 3 days.

nurse55
on 1/31/13 3:25 pm
DS on 09/11/12

First nite, my daughter and I stayed in a room that Dr. Houston's office had given us the name of. After my surgery, my daughter and husband took turns sleeping in the chair. My room was small, and the chair was wedged against the wall. You have private rooms. The hospital gave my Hubby the name of hotel close by and we got a much better price there. Good luck

Most Active
Recent Topics