Support Needed

ScottishQueen
on 4/12/13 11:36 am - TN

New to TN and new to this group.

I had my RNY 10 years ago now....best thing I ever did. As a lover of gourmet food and cooking I have not had issues dealing with dietary restrictions....until now at age 39 out of the blue I develop Type 1 diabetes [runs in family] and now I am having issues mentally finding my diet and food regime more restrictive and mentally hard to manage all day every day every week every month. I get so tired thinking/planning around food every minute of the day.

Have passed out a couple of times after 1-2 drinks due to the mix of insulin, sugar and lack of food volume. Seems I am finding it now a struggle at my "unfair" lifestyle. Food was my friend. Food binges were my stress reliever. Now I look like a drunk after one glass of wine due to the increase/decrease rollercoaster of blood sugar.

I haven't been to a support group since I reached my goal weight [250-135] but I think I need to talk to people who understand. Even my diabetes Dr doesn't understand cause I am his first patient with Type 1 + bypass.

Does anyone know of any support groups around the Nashville/Franklin area? People who have never medicated themselves with food can't understand and so I feel I can help others whilst helping myself talking about these issues which come up for a lot of us.

kymt
on 4/16/13 8:52 am - nashville, TN

i haven't been to a meeting in yrs but i use to go to one held at Vanderbilt you may want to check with different hospitals that do the surgery and see where they tell their patients to go to hope you find the help u are looking for.enlightened

LOVING ME ALWAYS THEKAT67
Julie G.
on 6/23/13 12:00 am, edited 6/23/13 12:00 am - Lebanon, TN

I don't know how far you are from Lebanon, but there is a great support group that meets on the 4th Tuesday of every month at 6:00 p.m.  The next meeting is this coming Tuesday at the local hospital.  You may email me for more information if you want to.  [email protected].

I had my surgery in 2004.  Gained back my weight after my pregnancy and now I'm getting back on track to losing again and have lost 10 pounds so far.

Julie

*By the way...the group is for all people who have had or are interested in having surgery.  Doesn't matter what doctor or where you had or want to have surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics