Dr. Houson vs. Dr. Spaw - Nashville

LookingForward
on 10/26/13 11:08 pm

Help!  I can't figure out who to choose for my sleeve surgery!  I'm torn between Dr. Houston and Dr. Albert Spaw.  I've read tons of good things about Dr. Houston, but never saw Dr. Spaw mentioned on the forums until I did a "search".  Then, those threads said good things about him, too.  I'm confused now.  What do you think?  Thanks! 

TheDeathStar
on 11/2/13 3:28 pm
VSG on 10/29/13

I had my sleeve with Dr. Houston. My mom had her surgery done by Dr. Spaw. Both are extremely competent. If you can, speak with them both and see who you like better. Dr. Houston is very... brusque, but I like that. He doesn't bull**** you at all. That made me trust him.

LookingForward
on 11/2/13 11:17 pm

Thanks so much DeathStar!  That makes me feel better to know they are both good.  I do have an appointment with Dr. Spaw and will call Dr. Houston on Monday to schedule something.  I've been trying the calorie counting method (the most recent attempt among millions of approaches) and I'm shocked by the number of calories by the end of the day.  Ugh.  I'm hoping this will be a better option as a tool to keep my portion sizes reasonable.  Any info on how your sleeve is going and what I need to know would be great!  Thanks again.

tenkat99
on 11/10/13 2:02 am
RNY on 08/27/13
I chose Dr. Spaw. He was fantastic & his bedside manner is what I needed. He is funny, but will answer all of your questions directly & truthfully. I wanted the sleeve, but he explained to me why that wouldn't work in my case. I had RNY instead (August 27) and am doing great!

Kindest Regards, tenkat99

A word to the wise ain't necessary.  It's the stupid who need the advice."  ~ Will Rogers

LookingForward
on 11/11/13 8:26 am

Tenkat99- Thank you for your input.  I've put off my decision until the Spring because I can't get time off wor****il June/July.  This will help as I proceed...

Mel1071
on 11/10/13 9:54 am

I was torn between the same two.  I wound up choosing Houston.  I really liked his no-BS demeanor.  His staff is phenomenal. I am still pre-op (surgery scheduled for 12/16) so I can't talk about his surgical technique.  I will say - I go to a lot of support groups at Centennial and all of his patients rave about him.  One gal I met online got a phone call from him about 6 months after her surgery to see how she was doing.  He is very sarcastic but I really like that.

LookingForward
on 11/11/13 8:27 am

Mel1071 - Thank you also for your feedback.  I'm not sure what to do, but have time because I'm going to have to wait until mid-next year anyway to get time off work.  I'll meet both and then take the plunge and decide on one!  Too bad they can't co-operate to keep me from having to make the decision. 

k9ophile
on 12/22/13 10:44 am
On November 11, 2013 at 4:27 PM Pacific Time, LookingForward wrote:

Mel1071 - Thank you also for your feedback.  I'm not sure what to do, but have time because I'm going to have to wait until mid-next year anyway to get time off work.  I'll meet both and then take the plunge and decide on one!  Too bad they can't co-operate to keep me from having to make the decision. 

This is a great solution and it's wonderful that you have time to meet them both.  I chose Houston, yet would have been just as willing to see Dr. Spaw.  Mine was an insurance advantage situation, but I've heard great things about both.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

jjordan8130
on 2/2/14 2:28 pm

Just wanted to say that I'm a patient of Dr. Housten. He and Dr. Spaw are the only two in the area who do the surgery I want (DS). Dr. Spaw does it open and Housten does it Lap. I'm waiting on final Insurance approval now. I love Dr. Housten. I work at Centennial and Vandy, but chose Centennial and Housten because they're great! 

Dr. Housten is no-nonsense for sure. He made me teach him about my surgery and said I couldn't have DS until I could articulate all that was involved. I LOVE HIM!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics