2.5 Year Post Op Update

Jonathin
on 4/28/14 8:44 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Hello OH!

I started my journey back in 2009 and waited a little over 2 years to finally have surgery on October 5th, 2011.  I'm 6'1" and went from 460lbs down to 230lbs and have been maintaining since, with some fluctuations and weight gains. While I had initial complications for the first few months after surgery, the procedure absolutely changed my life!  

I became the father I had always dreamed of becoming. I'm able to take her to the beach, to fairs, amusement parks. My daughter and I go bike riding, ride horses and do absolutely everything a young healthy father and daughter should always be able to do. I've become the crazy, fun dad in the playground, running around or being chased by her friends or lifting them higher on the playground equipment. She always tells me that her friends keep saying they want me as their dad. I have always been proud of her and always loved being her father, but it's another deeper emotion to know when your kid is equally as proud of you.

There are way too many NSVs to even list. My whole lifestyle changed. I bought a boat, jeep and motorcycle for the summers. We go down to the lake or river every weekend and go swimming several times a week. I built out a downstairs gym complete with squat rack, bench, olympic plates, treadmill, punching bags. I still focus on a high protein intake (shakes and supplements) and try my best to maintain a very low carb diet. Over the winter, I signed up with the volunteer fire department where we live. For the past 5 months, my extra time has been dominated by firefighter training, responding to calls and trying to make a difference in our community. None of this would have been possible had it not been for the surgery. I sometimes wake up and think I'm living someone else's life.

I wish I could express how grateful I am to have gone through the procedure and had a second chance for beginning a new life. I don't come by the OH forums too much anymore. Although I will never forget the forever friendships I've forged and the people who helped me achieve this new life.

Hope you all are doing well, wherever you are in your own journey.

Jonathan

RNY - 10/05/2011

Most Active
Recent Topics