The Media Has Me pissed!!!

BOBOKITTY
on 12/7/03 1:11 pm - MD
Hi ALL, This is my take on this whole darn 1/50 mortality rate from WLS thing. When you are Obese the statistics say blah blah blah % of Obese die. They say we are lazy that we have low self esteem and that we need to just pull back from the table. So, what do we do? we go on a diet and start to loose weight spend tons of money on the weight loss crap. Then what? We gain it back and then some, they say we did not try hard enough, we have no will power. Ok then we have a more permanent form of weight loss which is what? the surgery and now they say blah blah blah % died due to complications from the surgery. I said all of that to say this, we are in a no WIN situation with the Media and their @#$$%&$!!!! Statistics. I say to hell with them all, because we stand a greater RISK of MORTALITY by being Obese than we do haviing the surgery. Complications arise in every facet of everyday life. There are people who die from a routine exploratory surgery, do we hear about that? No. There are women who die giving birth, there are people who die after having a tooth pulled. But none of these things are broadcast. It is just another way to TRY and I stress TRY and keep the BIG KIDS DOWN!!! But here on OH we got news for them, we are NOT backing down, we say have fun with your statistics and CRAP because we are finally going to do something for US and we are going to stand up for what we believe in. That is why this site is so vital and it is so important to support one another because we have so many odds against us. This is not the worlds fight this is our FIGHT and together if we stand TALL we can win this thing. Good Luck to all of the PRE- OPS and just know that although this is not an easy task you have a lot of support here for you when you cross over. You can email me anytime and I will respond I will even call you if you need to talk. Just no that you are not alone we are here to help. Love ya!!! Adrienne
KD L.
on 12/11/03 2:01 am - TN
AMEN! Gwenyth Paltrow made me mad last year. She was doing an interview about the movie Shallow Hal where she had to wear a "fat suit". she said "Oh it was awful! People wouldnt even look at me and they treated me terribly" Well welcome to the world of the overweight Gwenyth. At least you could take the stupid suit off in one day! People who have never had to deal with this issue do not understand. Sometimes I feel the media wants to keep people overweight because it makes the "stars" look better and those of us who made this decision are a threat to their so-called perfect bodies. On another note, I have lost 75lbs in a little under 4 months thanks to my surgeon Dr. John Husted. (www.johnhustedmd.com) and I am THRILLED! I am hopting to be at goal by my 27th birthday in April, and at this rate it doesnt seem like it is an impossible dream anymore! In the words of the fabulous Pointer sisters, "I'M SO EXCITED!"
Donna A.
on 12/19/03 2:44 am - Charlotte, NC
Adrienne, I completely agree and you said it so well for me! Thank you for helpin gme find the words. Best, Donna
Jennifer W.
on 12/31/03 4:36 am - Knoxville, TN
I totally agree Adrienne!!!! The media are such jerks most of the time. It's ok that most of them suck down a case of beer or smoke a pack of cigerettes a day. It is always about other people. I am sick and tired of the MEDIA thinking that overwight people is nothing but a bunch of lazy people. Everyone is different, and I agree that I do know some lazy overweight people, but I know more overweight people that are not lazy, that work everyday, some hold down two jobs. I myself have a very demanding career that requires me working sometimes 70 hours per week. I have two children who play soccer and basketball and practice one to two nights per week plus games every weekend. My husband of going on ten years had an accident 3 years ago that left him paralyzed from waist down which has resulted in limited amount of house work from him. I cook ****asionally), clean up after a 5 year old and 8 year old and my husband. I attend practices and games every week and I work every day. I barely get to take a shower every day let alone spend 5 minutes alone on the couch eating a bon bon. I don't know any part of lazy in my life. No matter how much running around I do or how much I am on the go, all diets has failed me. Not because I have been lazy, but because everyone is different. My sister weighs all of 96 pounds if she drank a slim fast every day for a week she'd melt away to nothing, but not me. I call the media lazy. They are to lazy to go out and get some real news to report on, they just keep talking about the same old stuff. Everyone needs to know the facts and make an informed decision based on facts not skinny, snotty news acnhors beliefs. Hope everyone has a great New Year. Love-Jennifer
Most Active
Recent Topics