I have a date!!!!

Charleen N.
on 12/23/03 6:20 pm - La Quinta, Ca
Hello all....I just got the date for my surgery. January 19th It has taken a year to get to this date. I started last November (2002) with a DR in Los Angeles as there where no DR's in my area that did this surgery. I had been attending support group locally. ( A DR's group from the Lake Elsinor area was coming down to get patient's from this area, so they had open support groups here) So when I was at the support meeting in April to my delight was told bye a lady there, a new DR was going to start doing MY kind of surgery soon in Palm Springs at Desert Hospital.....just one catch, the surgical unit was not ready, the hospital board had not approved any of the things that need to be approved, and then the state had to aprove all of their stuff......So I made an appointment with the new DR. He said he would take me on as a patient, but I had to wait till everything was ready. So not wanting to trave all the way to LA ( a 3 hour drive with all the traffic) I decided to wait and have it done locally. Fortunatly all my pre-op tests were done except the upper GI. Got that done, everthing ok. That test was done in September, still waitng for surgical unit to get done. Attended the support groups meeting's faithfully. Finally everything was done and the DR started setting dates for surgery. I had no problems with my insurance company once we had a date, Was approved in 1 week. Our insurance company is United HealthCare. I am so looking forward to this surgery!!! MY weight (((((((dont repeat this))) is 350 lbs. I am 5 foot 7 inches and I am 60 yrs old. I have Diabetes and Rhumatoid Arthritis and High Blood Pressure. My PCP told me this surgery was made for people like me. Thank God! I thought because of these things I would not be considered for this surgery. Dumb me lol I have done my homework and have complete faith in my DR. I love my support group that is held at the hospital where my surgery will be done. The people there are just great and so supportive. Have even made some very nice friends. Some pre-op some post-op. Well I have rambled on enough for now. Going for my nutrician class in a few days. Will let you know how everything goes my next visit here.
(deactivated member)
on 12/27/03 10:18 am
Congratulations on your upcoming surgery! Have faith, and you'll see that everything will be ok. I used to work with a lady that was 63 when she had her surgery. She used to walk around with a cane and her oxygen tank dragging behind her. Needless to say, both the cane and the tank are history. She is doing and looking great, to the extent that she got a transfer at work and moved out of state, all by herself. I'll say a little prayer for you, I hope to have the same luck... I'm scheduled for 3/10/04 but not sure if my insurance will aprove me this time. Take care and just imagine how wonderful you will feel when all is said and done!
Most Active
Recent Topics