Dr. Wright, Dr. Richards

a A.
on 12/31/03 9:27 am - a, tn
My insurance only covers Dr. Wright or Dr. Richards. Do they require a fee up front, as I have heard that some doctors do? Any info or advice would be appreciated.
angelt1us
on 12/31/03 1:16 pm - Sparta, TN
I have just started my journey with Dr. Richards and so far the only up front costs I'm aware of is, what portion your insurance doesn't cover, you are responsable for and you will have to pay for your psychological evaluation and your nutrition education appointments out of pocket. I do know that all four of the nutrition appointments cost $250 and i was told the psychological evaluation runs around $100-$150 depending on whom you see. Your first visit will cost around $400 but it will be billed to your insurance. I hope this helps. Have a good new year and God bless. Tonya
Rick S.
on 1/5/04 1:54 am - Brentwood, TN
As the previous post mentions there are some fees that you will need to pay. Listed below is the program thru Dr. Richards as of Jan 03. Step 1: Comprehensive Health Risk Evaluation, cost $409, they will file insurance for this. Step 2: Pre-Op Behavior Education Program, $75 each, Three visits prior to surgery. Insurance may not cover this. Step 3: Bariatric Surgery Information Group Mettings, no cost, Meet every first and third Tuesday @ 4:30. Highly recommend attending some of these meetngs. Step 4: Surgeon Consultation, They will file insurance for the evaluation visit. You are resposible for charges not covered by insurance. Step 5: Surgery Insurance Pre-Certification Process, Referral to the surgeon and scheduling of actual surgery will not take place until confirmation of insuarnce coverage has been obtained. Step 6: Psychological Evaluation, cost will vary approx $150 Step 7: Pre-operative Medical Floow-ups(if needed), Vanderbilt will file insurance. Step 8: Surgery Step 9: Post-Surgical Behavior Education Progam, $75 The most important thing is you are fortunate your insuarance will cover Dr Richards or Dr Wright. From personal experience you have two of the best surgeons in TN. My sister had the surgery in June 2001 with Dr Wright and has lost 200 lbs. I had surgery in June 2003 with Dr. Richards and have lost 105 lbs. The main difference between the two surgeons is the procedure. Dr. Wright specializes in Open RNY, Dr Richards Laparoscopic. As mentioned, try to attend some of the Group meetings, it is very helpful to talk with others who are going thru or have gone thru a lot of the same issues. Good luck, wish you all the best.
angelarmsbab
on 1/20/04 5:57 am - LaVergne, TN
I had surgery in December. I had to pay $250 for the nutrition which covers two visits before surgery and two afterwards. The $250 has to be paid at once. I am filing for reimbursement with Aetna. I also paid a $15 co-payment for the first and second visits to be evaluated. My hospital co-payment was $100. I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Richards and Vanderbilt Hospital. I had excellent care. Hope this has helped. I am 5 weeks post op and down 31 lbs. Feel great. Would do it again in a New York minute. Many people all over the country will be praying for you if you keep us posted on this website. Take care and God Bless You.
Most Active
Recent Topics