Extended release meds

Alissa A.
on 5/1/09 10:47 pm - Keller, TX
I've always been under the impression that RNY'ers can't take extended release medications, that they wouldn't stay in our system long enough. But I know people that take things like the extended Wellbutrin and cold medication and they do okay. So I'm wondering-am I wrong- can we take extended release?
vickie O.
on 5/2/09 3:38 am - amarillo, TX
i always heard we couldn't also.

EXPERIENCE WITHOUT REFLECTION IS HOLLOW

jwinrrtx
on 5/2/09 4:33 am - Round Rock, TX
Hey Alissa...I think this is one of those general guidelines.  I can take extended release pills with no problem.  As a matter of fact, I can take any pill with no problem & they all work for me just fine. 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore,
is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle

(deactivated member)
on 5/2/09 5:41 am, edited 5/2/09 5:41 am - DFW area, TX
Liz_G_Tx
on 5/2/09 6:51 am
ok you know i gotta chime in my .02 cents and begin with FOR ME
FOR ME and my WIERD SELF
time release DOES NOT WORK...i dont think it stays with me long enough to time release. But, keep in mind you could prollly shoot me with a tranquilizer dart that was meant for a rhino and i would still be standing there talking to you. Im not the 'i took 2 tylenol and slept for 2 days' person. I have tried time release of different types of meds since surgery (anti depressents, ambien CR, cold meds, etc) and NONE of them worked worth a crap. So i think its like everything else, its on an individualized basis. Again, we all know im weird when it comes to meds anyway ;)
My mom is about Loralea's height, prolly weighs about 20lbs less than me but is about 3 sizes bigger (weird lol) and can take a benadryl and sleep 10 hours straight. I can take 3 benadryl and work 12 hours straight. *shrug*

When I was born, I cried and the world rejoiced. Now i wanna live my  life so that when I die, the world cries and I rejoice

Phyllis M.
on 5/2/09 11:55 am - Irving, TX
My surgeon told me NO   ER meds.............no extended release medication - but didn't really say why that I can remmeber or that I retained.....
  • Pease check out Dr. Connie Stapleton's Website. A lot of good information on there for all WLS patients regardless of the surgery you chose.  Good luck to all and I'm here for you if you want to send me an email.  I'll answer it as soon as possible.  
  • Total Lost:  139 lbs
  • Current Weight:  263  
  • As of 11-10-13 I have had weight gain.  Not happy about that.
  • RNY: 10-16-07 = 338:  Highest weight: 350+  Lowest Weight: 199 

Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 23 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 100 views
I'm new here
TattooMom · 4 replies · 408 views