Cruising with the new me..

agilityrulz
on 5/4/09 3:22 am - TX
OK, I am about 4 months post op now (RNY) and feeling wonder. I can happily say that I have had very little issues and they few I have had we because I ate to fast or something too dry.

I am surpising my GREAT Hubby with a 5 day cruise for his B-Day in Aug.  We had talked about going one last year but it didn't happen and part of the reason was because I was too ashamed. But now that I have lost 75 pounds in about 4 months I am feeling great and want to do the cruise. 

So here is my question, has anyone else been on a cruise after about 7 months?  I am just curious if I need to take some protein stuff with me to make sure that I get enough..  Or if you have been on a cruise and just want to recommend something to me I am open to that also.

I normally lurk on here but am trying to be more active..

Thanks,
Chrissy

Sarah448
on 5/4/09 4:05 am - Friendswood, TX
I haven't been on a cruise post-WLS, but I went on one before.

WOO HOO - CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!! 

I would LOVE to do it again with the smaller me because I hated to have my picture taken before. It didn't stop me from climbing the Mayan pyramids or cave tubing in Belize, but I would have liked a picture with me in it.  And one at the formal dinner.

As far as eating, if it were me I would take my protein powder along because I mix mine in coffee and you can get coffee any time of the day.  And maybe some protein bars if you eat those (I don't).  You should be able to get plenty of protein at the buffets.  You can get an omelet made for you for breakfast and can always get a burger made pretty much any time - salads and cheese, too.  I eat small burgers with just the bottom bun now, but you may want to not eat the bun at all if you are watching your carbs.

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/09 5:57 am
Congratulations on the loss and have a wonderful time! 
cajungirl
on 5/4/09 8:54 am
Chrissy, can't help on the cruise I've never been on one but wanted to say go for it.  There will be lots of protein options there but I'd suggest bringing protein powder to supplement as needed.

Have fun I know your hubby will be thrilled.  Dressing up and shopping for the cruise is going to be so much fun!

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

sara772779
on 5/4/09 10:05 am - Allen, TX
Only cruised before surgery, but you should be fine.  Most ship kitchens will cook anything to order if you can't manage to find something on the many buffets.  I remember lots of shrimp and fish, which is super lean protein. 

I have a question about your avatar.....Where do you live, train and what kind of dogs do you have/work?

I weighed 313 pounds on December 1, 2008 the day of my RNY surgery and have lost 81% 
of my excess body weight to-date.                                        Current as of November 1, 2009
OH Mini-Challenge Goal for New Year's Day is 170 pounds. 11 pounds to go!
Jennifer M.
on 5/5/09 1:36 am - Little Elm, TX
Chrissy,

I am so happy for you!  Cruising is my favorite vacation, and we take at least one a year.  We went in March, which would be 7 months out for me.  Protein wont be a problem.  There is food available 24 hours a day.   I did take nuts though, to snack on in the room.  

I have many suggestions for you. 

Take bottled water.  A case is not too much.  They wont stop you.  Use the nearly empty suitcase that you will have after you & hubby have drank most of it for bringing back any souveniers you buy.  

Take a power strip.  There is ONE plug in the room.  

If your hubby is a soda person, the soda card is worth the money.  

I took the stairs more often than not instead of the elevators, and I didnt gain any weight on the cruise, and I had a few bites of dessert every night.

Eat in the formal dining room for dinner.  The food is better, and the portions are not overwhelming.  My DH finished my dinner most nights.

Take a lanyard to carry your room card.  Alot of my pants/shorts didnt have pockets, and it is harder to loose something when its hanging around your neck.  Your credit card is attached to that room key, and loosing it can be a bad bad thing if someone with no honor finds it.

Thats all I can think of right now.   You are gonna have a blast!

Blessings,

Jenn
agilityrulz
on 5/5/09 3:11 am - TX
Jen,
Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely take a case of water with us along with some nuts and jerky.  I have found a protein bar that I like that I will probably take with me. 

I am very excited about the cruise and hope that I can really keep it a secret until it is time to tell him.  I was looking at the zip line excursion because we have always talked about how great those look.  It was wonderful to know that the weight limit will not be an issue for me at all.  WOO HOO

Chrissy

Most Active
Recent Topics
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 92 views
I'm new here
TattooMom · 4 replies · 402 views
Problem 15 yrs out
Gandadavis61971 · 4 replies · 1227 views