I'm shocked!

Lynne R.
on 5/4/09 11:01 pm - Houston, TX
I just saw a picture of an old friend who had her stomach stapled about 20 years ago. Apparently she was never educated on nutrition and how to eat, because I remember her living on mashed potatoes and Hershey kisses for years after her surgery. She almost died during another surgery because her levels were so screwed up. But, she looked GOOD!

About three years ago she made the decision to reverse her surgery. I saw her six months after that, and she had put on a little weight, but not bad. OMG I just saw a current picture of her and she's larger than she ever was - I'm guessing at least 400 lbs.

This makes me so sad. I expected a little weight gain, but she had to have completely given up to gain back that much weight!

Lynne

Vivian Prouty
on 5/4/09 11:20 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Lynn....so sorry that your friend went though her WLS and wasn't educated.    Also sorry that she had so much trouble and almost died in another surgery.    I guess some people when their WLS fails....just gives up and goes back to their old ways of eating.    That is sad.   Maybe you can contact her and give her hope on maybe a revision or something to get her back to being a healthy person.    

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

timsdanni
on 5/4/09 11:38 pm - Ft Stewart, GA
heartbreaking esp since I would bet money she STILL got no nutitional guildence
Home is where the army allows me to live with my husband

I know what I need to do - I have to choose to take care of me or I choose to fail

Deb *.
on 5/4/09 11:47 pm
Her experience with stomach stapling sounds very much like mine.  In 1992 when I had mine stapled no one mentioned anything about nutrition, vitamins, water, long term support or anything like that.  I also learned how to live on slider foods, carby stuff, pasta, soups, potatoes, chips, etc.  Anything dense and "filling" would require a trip to the bathroom to bring it back up, so it was much easier to live on what went down.

We were told before the stapling that if we ever had it taken out we could pretty much count on regaining all of our weight.  Unfortunately for me I didn't need to have it taken out to regain, I did that with the surgery still there.

Prayers going up for your friend.  I know first hand how awful it felt to have the surgery and then completely fail and regain all my weight plus some.  It took me 15 years to be willing to consider surgery again and I lost a lot of time and mobility during that time.

Debbi

Most Active
Recent Topics
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 92 views
I'm new here
TattooMom · 4 replies · 402 views
Problem 15 yrs out
Gandadavis61971 · 4 replies · 1227 views