Is there anyone that has used Dr. John Alexander for WLS????

rows4u
on 2/22/13 2:37 pm
Revision on 03/11/13

Hi all. I'm trying to find a few people that have used Dr. Alexander for their WLS. I had the gastric sleeve done by Dr. Nicholson in June of 2009. I lost 80lbs and have gained about half back. I'm scheduled to have revision surgery on March 11th to the Gastric Bypass. I've heard so many negative things on other forums about doing a revision to the GBP and that my Dr. doesn't know anything if he's not suggesting for me to do the DS as a revision instead because I can stretch my stomach out again if I'm not careful.

Trust me I have no intentions of not following through with changing my lifestyle, nor can I get pregnant right after surgery anymore, and I don't think I can get divorced if I'm not married... lol... but I'm worried that maybe others have had issues with a revision to the gastric bypass or that Dr. Alexander isn't as great as his "advertising" patients make him appear to be. I have met him a few times and like his office talk and personality but is it just a salesman approach???

Please give me any info that you can if you have used him!! I've already received my approval letter for the revision surgery to the bypass and wonder maybe if he didn't suggest the DS because the approval was for the bypass only or was it because he thinks the bypass is a better option, or could it be because he doesn't do very many DS revisions or surgeries??? Questions questions questions!!!!

Saundra P.
on 2/22/13 10:01 pm - Mesquite, TX
Hi

Sorry, I don't have any knowledge of this surgeon, I went and looked at his website and he does not mention the DS so my thought is he doesn't do that procedure so did not suggest it.
Ask him why not the DS.

Also you might want to go see Dr Stewart in Denton. It is my understanding he is a experienced DS and bypass surgeon and since he does both should suggest what is best for you.

This board does not have much activity on the weekends but hopefully someone that has used Dr. Alexander will see your post.

Good luck with your revision.

Saundra
VBG - 12/02/96   (High weight 283)
Revision to RNY - 06/11
/09 (Start weight 219)

Goal for weight to always start with 11*

At Goal - maintaining between 115 - 119

TXKashmir
on 2/22/13 11:33 pm - Grand Prairie, TX

The DS cheerleaders on these boards are very convincing, and, admittedly, have some excellent points, but it is not the surgery for everyone. I knew it wasn't a good choice for me because some DS'ers are prone to chronic diarrhea, and, after years of struggling with IBS, it sounded like a nightmare to me - I wasn't willing to take a risk it could happen to me. Also, the thought of eating so much fat turns my stomach (it's true - not a big bacon fan here - lol).

Having said this, DS does have a higher success rate and a more generous eating plan. It is definitely a great option for some. After doing your research, if you determine that the DS is best for you, it would benefit you greatly to consult with a surgeon who actually performs the procedure.

Dr. Alexander has a good reputation, but I'm afraid I don't know anything about him personally. If you decide to go forward with RNY, I'm sure he would be a great choice. Good luck to you no matter what you decide!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

Karla Lewis
on 2/23/13 11:26 am - Livingston, TX
I know 2 Dallas area ggirls that had revisions by him this past year and the surgeries went well. They had them due to issues with something being wrong with their current bypass. They just had a revision of their original bypass. They both live him and had a lot of confidence in him.

Karla

Karla Lewis     337/194/175
Lap RNY 1-23-2006     Dr. Terry Scarborough   Houston, TX
Lipo 4-27-2007           Dr. David Wainwright      Houston, TX
LBL 11-13-2007           Dr. David Wainwright      Houston, TX
BL & brachioplasty  7-18-2008       Dr. David Wainwright    Houston, TX

Paul Hayes
on 2/23/13 11:56 pm - Melissa, TX

I would venture to guess that anyone berating you for considering a bypass rather than a sleeve is someone who has a sleeve.  There is a very high incidence among many who have had a sleeve that they have acquired an evangelical zeal that everyone is best served by the decision they felt was right for them.  You may want to factor that into comments received.

The hardest things in life are neither good or bad, but just what you have to deal with.

Vivian Prouty
on 2/24/13 11:59 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Good Morning,

From what I know about Dr. Alexander from some of his patients who I know he is a very good surgeon.    As far as his success rate with revisions.....I'm not sure about that.     If you do consider doing the DS...go to Dr. Daryl Stewart.   He has done them for years and has lots and lots of very successful patients.... BUT if you do DS consider ALL that goes with it.   Major malobsorption...lots and lots of vitamins to take.    Much more so than with the bypass.    I personally don't know Dr. Alexander or Dr. Stewart but they both have good reputations as far as I know or have heard.     Do lots of research on each and BTW...you CAN regain your weight with DS so don't let ANYONE tell you different.   I know a DS patient *****gained all their weight.    Remember....ALL these WLS are a TOOL and have to be used properly to get maximum results from them.    Good luck in your upcoming new journey.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 23 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 100 views
I'm new here
TattooMom · 4 replies · 410 views