Finding Support in Your Area

RNY_elizabeth
on 10/7/16 8:44 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Texas is such a big ole' crazy state!  I am wondering if any of you have found a support group or gathering of other WLS folks in the your area.  If you have, please share it here.

For me I haven't found anything in the Hill Country area yet.  I use the RNY Menu posts as an online support group and that helps tremendously.

Have a great day!

~Elizabeth

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

One Bad Beach
on 10/7/16 11:12 am
RNY on 11/28/16

It is such a huge and crazy place!  I'm in West TX, and I know there are support groups in Lubbock and San Angelo, possibly even Abilene, but all three of those are at least 90 miles from me. So, a 7pm support group would turn into me driving 90 miles in the dark...which is dangerous in this area because of the feral hogs and deer.  Oh, the joys of living in rural TX! 

Therefore, I have decided that if I need support, I have to have people to call on.  I have a huge support network, and the people on OH are a lot of help as well.

I hope you find something close to you soon!

RNY_elizabeth
on 10/7/16 11:18 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Right?  The deer, the hogs, and foxes are thick out here.  I live near Marble Falls and it is an hour to get to Austin from here.  I am sure there are some there but that drive at night is not fun. 

I am hoping to find at least a monthly in person thing.  I think just having to see people in person once a month would be great accountability for me.

~E

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/16/16 6:53 pm
I don't go to any support groups in this area...but i'd be open to having a meeting at the Blue Bonnet Diner and having some happy hour pie! (Hahaha j/k...but I've heard they do have good pie)

Scott
vickinicole
on 10/7/16 12:30 pm - Bryan, TX

I live in Bryan, TX and I don't even know where to go to look for support in my area. Also, I am getting my surgery in Mexico and I don't know how to find a dr here for after care or any issues I may have.

~_~
Vicki
My weight loss blog: www.vickionline.com

ILoveFlowers
on 11/11/16 7:08 am

I live in Olton, TX and the closest big city to me is Lubbock, TX.  I called all the bariatric surgeons in Lubbock to see about the support groups and NONE of them have one associated with their offices.  They recommend you use an online support group.  I was so disappointed.

One Bad Beach
on 12/16/16 7:29 am
RNY on 11/28/16

I live in the Snyder area, and I still haven't found any support groups to attend.  Online support here seems to be the best thing I can find.

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me." --Carol Burnett

RNY 11/28/2016

HW 285 - SW 244

Heather_Austin
on 12/16/16 8:20 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

I'm in Austin and there are a few here from a couple of the hospitals.  My Dr also has a support group but I've never gone because it's an hour away in South Austin and I'm near Lake Travis.  

I found the following site which has a list of groups:

txtabs.org/support.html

Heather - Austin, TX

Don 1962
on 12/18/16 3:07 pm

I'm on the "line" if you will between North and East Texas.  Can go North into Metroplex or East toward Tyler.  Only support I've ever done is on-line.  Truth be told know enough people around Cedar Creek Lake that have had WLS in one form or another and I guess we could start our own support group! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 23 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 100 views
I'm new here
TattooMom · 4 replies · 410 views