New to area

K9Krazzi
on 9/22/10 11:15 am - Hebron, MD
Hello!  I recently relocated to Provo from Maryland.  I am two and a half years post op....gastric Sleeve. Also am a certified OH Support Group leader.

Would be interested to know if there are any support groups active in the area....withing 15 miles of Provo.

Looking to connect with some others as I really don't know too many people here yet.....

Thanks.

Certified OH Support Group Leader   

OneFinger
on 9/26/10 12:22 pm
I'm not in that area but I've heard a group meets in Orem at the Timpanogos Regional Hospital in the Women's Center class room.  I think this is a monthly meeting on the first Wednesday @ 7:00 p.m.

I'm sure you could confirm my info with a call to the hospital.

High Weight = 310     Surgery Weight = 300   Dr's Goal = 200   My Goal = 190    
Long2bThin2
on 11/12/10 1:22 am - Commerce City, CO
I just relocated to Utah 6 mos ago from Colorado.  I am also a OH certified group leader.  However, since moving have been unable to find a group.  The only one I found charged and I wasn't looking to pay for one.

OneFinger
on 11/12/10 5:57 am
I'm pretty new to this - just 1-month post-op from RNY.

The only support groups I know are sponsored by the doctors that did my surgery. Here's the info on the groups held this month.

Come and join us for support group in November as we discuss,

"Coping with Holiday Eating After Weight Loss Surgery"

Teri Lund R.D., our Education Director, will lead the discussion bringing her expertise as a Dietician.  She'll be joined by Leslie Miller LCSW at our Salt Lake group to explore the emotional side of this topic. 

The dates and locations are:

Orem - November 3rd at 7 pm

Timpanogos Regional Hospital

Women's Center Classroom

Ogden - November 9th at 7 pm

Ogden Regional Medical Center

Oak Room

Salt Lake - November 10th at 6 pm

St. Mark's Hospital

Classroom G40C - Ground Floor

The meetings are held at the same place / time each month. There is no charge. I don't know for sure but I suspect anyone is welcome to attend.
susiq
on 1/30/11 8:38 pm - Salt Lake City, UT
Just wondering if you have found a support group.  I moved here about 6 months ago too and have not found one.  I live in West Valley so if you hear of one please post it.  I think there are alot of people that would be interested.  I'm almost thinking I'll start my own.

Thank you,
Susi
Long2bThin2
on 1/31/11 4:38 am - Commerce City, CO
I may have found one, I just went in January.  It meets on the 2nd Wed of the month from what I understand and is at St Marks hospital.  In January, they had a special meeting with makeovers and I went with a friends daughter *****cently had RNY there, it seemed any one could go, all she knew is that it met on the 2nd Wed. but I don't know any further details, perhaps we can find out by going to their website, one of the docs names was Sherman Smith I believe. 

OneFinger
on 2/5/11 12:26 am

Here's the info on the February meeting for that same support group. I used these docs for my RNY surgery and was also at the makeover meeting.

February Support Group Written by: RMAPNURSE - Thursday, February 3, 2011, 10:01 AM

After weight loss surgery and as your weight decreases, you might have questions about the extra skin “hanging around". Questions like….Will the skin adapt to my new body with time? Does diet and exercise help with extra skin? Does how fast I lose the weight affect my skin elasticity? Is plastic surgery only a cosmetic treatment?

To answer these and any other questions that you might have, we invite you to join with us at our February support group meetings to hear from experts regarding those problem areas where there may be excess skin after weight loss surgery.   

Salt Lake City, Wednesday, February 9 at 6:00 pm: Dr. J. Michael Self M.D, is in daily private practice in Plastic and Reconstructive surgery at St. Mark’s Hospital and Cottonwood Medical Center. He is Board Certified Nationally as well as here in Utah. Dr. Self attended University of Alabama School of Medicine and Mayo Graduate School of Medicine in Rochester, Minnesota for his Residency in General Surgery and Plastic Surgery.

Orem, Wednesday, February 2 at 7:00 pm and Ogden, Tuesday, February 8 at 7:00 pm: DR. BRIAN BRZOWSKI is a cosmetic plastic surgeon with a special interest in breast surgery and problems resulting from pregnancy and weight loss. He is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Dr. Brzowski received a B.S. in Biochemistry from the University of Georgia and an M.D. from the Medical College of Georgia. He completed a 5 year General Surgery residency at Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas and trained in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the prestigious and internationally renowned Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

Hope to see you there!

Long2bThin2
on 2/9/11 8:30 am - Commerce City, CO

Thanks for the info.  unfortunately I've been out of town and will be unable to attend tonight.  Hopefully next month again, I really enjoyed the one I went to. 

Most Active