Lap Band or Gastic Bypass??

Jessica G.
on 4/27/12 12:31 am - UT
This is my first post! I am currently doing my 6 month supervised diet before I can be banded to get it covered by insurance. A little over view, I considered Lap Band many years ago and kept putting it off thinking I could lose the weight and do it myself only to become heavier. The Hubby and I decided to try and have a baby before getting the surgery after two years of trying and some fertility help we were still not pregnant and decided to just go ahead with the weight loss 6 month supervised diet. One month before my 6 month supervised diet was going to be completed and having done all my pre-surgery lab work and my psych evaluation, I found out I was pregnant! I was so bummed and upset. Now I was only going to get bigger.

Well I had my baby girl Dallas (9lbs 4oz / 22.5 inches) 8 weeks ago and couldn't be happier! I love her so much and she was worth the wait and starting over. I did develop gestational diabetes with my pregnancy which has gone away now. I only gained 12 lbs with my pregnancy which I lost 13 lbs by my 6 week postpartum visit.

So here I am and having to start my 6 month supervised diet again. Insurance states is has to be 6 consecutive months. Also my OBGYN asked me to really look into Gastric Bypass RNY. She had the surgery and would prefer that surgery because of the success rate and less complications further down the road!
~*Jessica G.*~
Doing 6 month supervised diet

OneFinger
on 4/27/12 3:21 pm
I consider lap band for years but was nervous about having it done. I had a few friends that were banded. They lost some weight but seemed to have constant problem with adjustments. A couple actually had it removed.

Then a co-worker found out that RNY was covered by our insurance. After seeing his success I looked into it. My insurance really discouraged lap band surgery and was very supportive of RNY.

I had the surgery 18 months ago and couldn't be happier. I reached my goal weight in about 6 months and have been able to maintain without any problems. Several other co-workers and / or family members have since had RNY. All share the same success.

After seeing the success of RNY, I'd have a hard time suggesting or recommending lap band. I just don't see the long-term benefits. Yes, RNY requires a more strict lifestyle change. But, it's a procedure that I believe has a better success rate and fewer complications.
High Weight = 310     Surgery Weight = 300   Dr's Goal = 200   My Goal = 190    
Heather B.
on 11/19/12 12:12 pm - UT
RNY on 09/20/12

there are pros and cons to both.

lapband is removable, RnY is usually not reversible. So thats one thing to think about.

However the BIG factor that pushed me to have Rny instead of the band was you could still cheat with a lapband. There are foods that are called slider foods, those would be foods like jello, icecream, milkshakes, etc... you following me? well you could drink a ton of calories in a miilkshake and not get full fast because its a slider food. Slider food passes the band without problems. 

Also another factor to look at is sugar, if you have a sweet tooth and that is one of your issues then the band will not stop you from eating all the sugar you want. which to me doesn't really make sense, why have surgery only to end up in the same situation you are in now after time has gone by?

I have heard from several people that they knew others who had the band and it didn't do anything for them.

Personally it really comes down to what you really want, not what everyone else says. It depends on what you feel is the right thing for you. For me the band was a BIG NO as soon as I found out I could still get away with eating lots of things that I shouldn't.

I personally think that the band is a waste, and the only way to go is the RnY. I am almost 9 weeks out and I don't regret it.

Most Active