Anyone in the Northern Neck?

Catek2652
on 10/8/15 3:57 pm
RNY on 10/26/15

I'm traveling 2 hours south east to Newport News for my surgery on October 26th with Dr. Spangler. I'm excited and nervous and hoping to find someone else who lives near me and can help me with the challenges of living so far from where the surgery will take place and where the support group meets.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/15 4:50 am

Wish I was closer to you Catek. I am in SW VA and have the same issues. Had my surgery in Mexico! We could chat on here on by private e-mail and give each other a boost if you'd like. I wish you very good luck with your surgery. Hope it and your recovery go smoothly.

Catek2652
on 10/16/15 4:58 pm
RNY on 10/26/15

Thanks, PonderosaQ. My surgery date is set for the 26th of this month! I have been following the doctor's instructions to eat under 1200 calories, no sugar, few carbs and even less fat. So far, so good. I've lost 10 pounds. Starting Sunday I go to a liquid pre-op diet. I meet with my surgeon and Nutritionist for the last pre-op meetings. I'm excited and a little nervous. More than anything, once the weight is gone I never, ever, want to gain it back. I think a support group would really help me with this... thankfully, my husband has been awesome and as the primary cook in the household is learning to change his methods. He worries that I'm starving, but I'm really not. I think sugar and carbs really are addictive and now that they have been out of my system for a while, I don't even really crave them... BUT, I also haven't had to deal with anything really stressful these last couple of months.

I have a job interview next week (I hope -- they are still trying to get the interview panel together) and I'm afraid they will have the interviews the same week of the surgery and I won't be able to go. If they wait until I'm in my second week, there is a better chance I can make it as my hubby will drive... So, if there is stress (other than just my current job as a probation officer), getting ready for a job interview for a promotion is probably it right now.

Since I quit drinking and got the caffeine out of my system, my mind seems much clearer. I'm getting more headaches, but they are also slowing down a bit.

Thankfully, I quit smoking over 10 years ago....

So many changes!

Cate K

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/15 4:19 am

So sorry. Somehow I never got a notification that you had replied and never got back here. I truly apologize. So how are you doing now? Did you get that job interview and possibly the job?

How did your surgery go and how is the weight loss going? You must be at least 6-8 weeks past your surgery by now and hopefully back feeling good.

My husband is my biggest supporter as well. I wish  he was the cook LOL! He makes sure I eat but does not comment or question the amounts I eat. He just wants to be sure I have eaten! I usually just adjust what I am making for him and for a friend who eats with us. I will eat mostly protein and sometimes change the veggies to something less carby.

Do write and let me know how you are doing and I promise to visit and look for a reply from you if nothing show up to tell me you have sent one. I hope your journey is progressing in the bast possible way.

Catek2652
on 12/9/15 6:07 am
RNY on 10/26/15

I'm doing better every day. Surgery went okay but then I stared having blockages and ended up having 4 surgeries in 10 days. Spent 23 days in the hospital .

did my interview over the phone busted not get the job. Now trying to figure out how I can just retire and live on half my salary until I am old enough to ge Social Securty.

still draining from one spot in my incision but all 39 staples are now out. I get tired very easily -- just taking a shower and getting dressed is followed by a nap. Not able to drive  yet, but I am getting up and moving without pain and focused on getting in fluids and protein. I'm up to soft diet now.

with lots of help, hosting a baby shower on Sunday for my son and his girlfriend. Will be my first grandchild. Due in mid-January.

Cate K

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/15 7:18 am

Oh my goodness.It sounds as if you have had a dreadful time. Weight loss has probably been lower on the list of things to concentrate on than you expected. Four surgeries in ten days and all that time in the hospital. I am so sorry.

Are you out of work since you are wondering about how to live on 1/2 your salary till you can get SS? We are looking for alternative to staying in our home. My husband had a stroke almost 5 yrs ago and our property is way too much work for me to keep up. We spend way too much on paying for help.This past week we were in Pigeon Forge Tn and not for the first time found how happy some people are in a large camper or small park model (if you know what that is). Place we were at charges $480 a month if you live there. That includes electric, water  sewer, wifi and cable. Might be something to consider. I expect you want to stay near your son now you are going to be a grandma. Not sure if there is anything like that where you are. There are some places on the lakes on the VA/NC border we might check out. We have one grand child in Blacksburg. We love her dearly but don't see much of here and are not very close (sadly) to our children.

Which surgery did you have by the way? I had a plication the simplest of them all which was what I wanted. Caring for my husband and having no help I had to be up and running asap and losing slowly was not a problem. I had it done in Mexico and was up and walking all over town inside 36 hrs. Was never in any pain and just felt mildly tired for 2-3 weeks as I healed.

Do keep in touch. I am glad that at least you are recovering now..

Catek2652
on 11/24/16 3:18 am
RNY on 10/26/15

Well, I'm really slow to reply... a year later!

In any case, paying rent or mortgage is not in the budget. I'm staying put at this point as I've paid off one mortgage and am renting that house out for additional income and living in another house that is also paid for. Other than taxes, insurance and maintenance, I do not have a housing cost.

My biggest money drain right now is my car. I still owe monthly payments of $500 a month for another 3 years, but I'll figure out how to do it even if I have to eventually get a Part time gig at WalMart. I need a reliable vehicle, so not willing to give this one up.

In any case, I did retire early and have figured out that I save a ton of money on clothing, gas, phone, and food by not working. It's not quite enough to make up the difference, but I've also cut way back on my unnecessary purchasing. We go out for a movie perhaps once a year and we don't eat out often at all... an now I eat so much less, I'm a pretty cheap date.

We scaled back a lot of things like the phone service and computer service. Good Will and other thrift stores have done a great job of replacing all my clothing. I only purchase underwear and socks now and get those at the Dollar Store when I need them. As I approach goal, even that cost will go down because I won't be dropping sizes. Maybe one more size down when I get to goal.

I'm basically living in blue jeans and tennis shoes.

Cate K

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 856 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2182 views