Protein

(deactivated member)
on 12/27/05 7:09 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
I am begining to see more and more newly pre-ops and new post ops . I wanted to share this with you . Many post about what suppliments to take , " I can not do them " I can not eat meat .. or everything taste weird or makes me YAK .. Well ladies and gentlemen .. you have to have protein .. This is a long post .. I hope those that are struggling with protein give it a look .. read it .. or print it out .. This may help you .. it is easy to understand .. and if you ask anyone that knows me .. they will tell you .. I am the Protien Queen .. 186 pounds gone .. and I believe with my heart .. Protein .. was my first key to success !!! Why protein supplementation? It's about Absorption Proteins form the body's main structural elements and are found in every cell and tissue. Take away the water, and about 75 percent of your weight is protein. Your body uses proteins: for growth to build and repair bone muscles hair connective tissue skin internal organs blood virtually every other body part or tissue Besides building cells and repairing tissue, proteins form antibodies to combat invading bacteria & viruses; they build nucleoproteins (RNA & DNA). They make up the enzymes that power many chemical reactions. They also carry oxygen throughout the body and participate in muscle activity. At least 10,000 different proteins make you what you are and keep you that way. Hormones, antibodies and enzymes that regulate the body's chemical reactions are all made of protein. Without the right proteins, blood won't clot properly and cuts won't heal. Each protein is a large complex molecule made up of a string of building blocks called amino acids. The 20 amino acids the body needs can be linked in thousands of different ways to form thousands of different proteins, each with a unique function in the body. Your body can't use food protein directly. So after protein is ingested, digestive enzymes break the protein into shorter amino acid chains, and then into individual amino acids. In the gastric bypass patient, this normal digestive process is bypassed. These digestive enzymes are not available until they meet with the food protein in the common channel of the small intestine, and then have only about 5 - 7 ½ ft (compared to 20 ft in a "normal" digestive tract) to do their job. The amino acids then enter the blood stream and travel to the cells where they are incorporated into proteins the body needs. Nine of the 20 amino acids required by human beings are considered "essential" because they come only from the diet; the other 11 are considered "nonessential" because the body can make them. AMINO ACIDS X X X X X X X TRYPTOPHAN (Essential Amino Acid) A natural relaxant, helps alleviate insomnia by inducing normal sleep; reduces anxiety & depression; helps in the treatment of migraine headaches; helps the immune system; helps reduce the risk of artery & heart spasms; works with Lysine in reducing cholesterol levels. X X X X X X X LYSINE (Essential Amino Acid) Insures the adequate absorption of calcium; helps form collagen (which makes up bone cartilage & connective tissues); aids in the production of antibodies, hormones & enzymes. Recent studies have shown that Lysine may be effective against herpes by improving the balance of nutrients that reduce viral growth. A deficiency may result in tiredness, inability to concentrate, irritability, bloodshot eyes, retarded growth, and hair loss, anemia & reproductive problems. X X X X X X X METHIONINE (Essential Amino Acid) Is a principal supplier of sulfur which prevents disorders of the hair, skin and nails; helps lower cholesterol levels by increasing the liver's production of lecithin; reduces liver fat and protects the kidneys; a natural chelating agent for heavy metals; regulates the formation of ammonia and creates ammonia-free urine which reduces bladder irritation; influences hair follicles and promotes hair growth. X X X X X X X PHENYLALANINE (Essential Amino Acid) Used by the brain to produce Norepinephrine, a chemical that transmits signals between nerve cells and the brain; keeps you awake & alert; reduces hunger pains; functions as an antidepressant and helps improve memory. X X X X X X X THREONINE/THERONINE (Essential Amino Acid) Is an important constituent of collagen, Elastin, and enamel protein; helps prevent fat buildup in the liver; helps the digestive and intestinal tracts function more smoothly; assists metabolism and assimilation. X X X X X X X VALINE (Essential Amino Acid) Promotes mental vigor, muscle coordination and calm emotions. X X X X X X X LEUCINE & ISOLEUCINE (Essential Amino Acids) They provide ingredients for the manufacturing of other essential biochemical components in the body, some of which are utilized for the production of energy, stimulants to the upper brain and helping you to be more alert. X X X X X X ARGININE Studies have shown that it has improved immune responses to bacteria, viruses & tumor cells; promotes wound healing and regeneration of the liver; causes the release of growth hormones; considered crucial for optimal muscle growth and tissue repair. X X X X X TYROSINE Transmits nerve impulses to the brain; helps overcome depression; Improves memory; increases mental alertness; promotes the healthy functioning of the thyroid, adrenal and pituitary glands. X X X X X X GLYCINE Helps trigger the release of oxygen to the energy-requiring cell making process; important in the manufacturing of hormones responsible for a strong immune system. X X X X SERINE A storage source of glucose by the liver and muscles; helps strengthen the immune system by providing antibodies; synthesizes fatty acid sheath around nerve fibers. X X X X X X GLUTAMIC ACID/GLUTAMINE Considered to be nature's "Brain food" by improving mental capacities; helps speed the healing of ulcers; gives a "lift" from fatigue; helps control alcoholism, schizophrenia and the craving for sugar. X X X X X ASPARTIC ACID Aids in the expulsion of harmful ammonia from the body. When ammonia enters the circulatory system it acts as a highly toxic substance, which can be harmful to the central nervous system. Recent studies have shown that Aspartic Acid may increase resistance to fatigue and increase endurance. X TAURINE Helps stabilize the excitability of membranes, which is very important in the control of many biochemical changes that take place in the aging process; aids in the clearing of free radical wastes. X X X X X X CYSTINE Functions as an antioxidant and is a powerful aid to the body in protecting against radiation and pollution. It can help slow down the aging process, deactivate free radicals, neutralize toxins; aids in protein synthesis and prevents cellular change. It is necessary for the formation of the skin, which aids in the recovery from burns and surgical operations. Hair and skin are made up of 10-14% Cystine. X X X X X X X HISTADINE Found abundantly in hemoglobin; has been used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, allergic diseases, ulcers & anemia. Deficiency can cause poor hearing. X X X X X PROLINE Is extremely important for the proper functioning of joints and tendons; also helps maintain and strengthen heart muscles. X X X X X ALANINE Is an important source of energy for muscle tissue, the brain and central nervous system; Strengthens the immune system by producing antibodies; helps in the metabolism of sugars and organic acids. The average*** person (the "normal", NON-gastric bypass patient) needs 50-65 grams*** of protein each day. Considering malabsorption of at least 50%**, the RNY patient will need 100-140 grams per day minimum, which cannot be eaten as food because of the small size of the pouch. **Note: Depending on the length of bypass, the RNY patient may absorb as little as 25% or less. But it is normally agreed that even a short proximal will not absorb more than 50%. ***Note: Adults need a minimum of 1 gram of protein for every kilogram of body weight per day to keep from slowly breaking down their own tissues. That's about 8 grams of protein for every 20 lbs. Malnourished, septic, pregnant, injured or burned patients will require more protein, in the order of 1.5-2.0 g/kg daily. Extra protein is also required after surgical procedures and illness. According to Sally Myers, RD and regular contributor on nutritional issues to the WLS-related newsletter "Beyond Change": "How to determine grams of protein you need daily when not yet at ideal weight: Subtract 120 from your current weight. Multiply that answer by .25 and add it to 120. Base your protein needs on that number. Extra protein is not needed for fat mass." Around the world, millions of people don't get enough protein. This protein malnutrition leads to the condition known as kwashiorkor. Lack of protein can cause growth failure loss of muscle mass decreased immunity weakening of the heart and respiratory system death *************************TYPES OF PROTEIN SUPPLIMENTS **** Whey Protein Isolate (WPI) Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC) Protein Blends (Mixed Protein Sources) **best Whey Protein Isolate powders go through the best filtering process to remove fat and carbohydrates. In general, these powders will contain a higher percentage of protein compared to Whey Protein Concentrate - generally around 90% protein. These are best utilized immediately after a workout and first thing in the morning when fast-acting protein is needed most. Nature's Best IsoPure Protein Prolab Whey Protein Isolate Worldwide Extreme Pure Protein These products contain Whey Protein Concentrate (generally around 75% to 80% protein) or may also have a small amount of Whey Protein Isolate blended in. None of these products contains more Whey Protein Isolate than Concentrate. Whey Protein Concentrate is much more economical than the Isolates because the process of removing most of the carbs and fat is relatively inexpensive compared to getting the maximal amounts out to isolate the protein. Designer Protein GEN HumanoPro Champion Pure Whey Stack HDT 5 Plus 1 Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Many researchers believe that quick-absorbing proteins like Whey Protein are best immediately after a workout and first thing in the morning when your body has extra protein needs, but a mixture of various slower-absorbing proteins are better at other times of the day to spread out the absorption for several hours. This helps keep amino acids in the bloodstream for use by muscle tissue as needed. Below are products containing blends of various protein sources - including whey protein. These are recommended for general use throughout the day and at bedtime. Champion Nutrition Pro-Score 100 HDT Pro Blend 55 MET-Rx Protein Plus Labrada ProV60 Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex The Biological Value, or BV, of a protein is an indicator of the quality of the protein. It is a measure of a protein's ability to be used by the body (or its bioavailability). It is a percentage (though the scale is skewed resulting in some BV's of greater than 100) of the absorbed protein that your body actually uses. Biological Values are indicators of which proteins are best at aiding nitrogen retention in muscles to help them maintain or grow. Many of the whey protein powder manufacturers claim that their products have BV values well above regular whey protein by various techniques such as ion-exchange processing, hydrolization, and adding other ingredients such as specific amounts of limiting essential amino acids. Hydrolyzation is a process breaking large peptides into smaller ones. It is sometimes referred to as "pre-digested". Regular undigested whey will be broken down into di- and tri-peptides via enzymes in the gut (which gastric bypass patients no longer have). This process takes a while, even in the non-gastric bypass person. Hydrolyzation is useful when protein delivery is needed very quickly so the body doesn't have to require the time and enzymes doing it. The benefit is of having a quickly absorbed protein to ensure muscle tissue is flooded with nutrients in a timely manner. What kind of protein is the best? BIOAVAILABILITY OF PROTEIN TYPES The higher on the list, the better the protein source. The numbers are the BV. (Biologic value) This is only how easily the (normal) body can absorb them, not the protein grams in each one. The last few need to be blended to make a complete protein. And remember.... gastric bypass patients don't absorb nutrients from food protein very well. Protein Source BV Whey Protein Isolate Blends Whey Concentrate (Lactalbumin) Whole Egg Cow's Milk Egg White (Albumin) Fish Beef Chicken Casein (a protein from milk) Rice Soy Wheat Beans Peanuts The food highest on this list has the highest BV value while Peanuts are the lowest . So, because we (gastric bypass patients) don't have a stomach and the stomach acids, etc, anymore, we don't process the undigested proteins properly and malabsorb most of them. The same is for the normal food we eat. We don't absorb most of it. We, therefore, need the more highly absorbed, pre-digested protein supplements...whey which is pre-digested (aka hydrolized)...in order to get the proper nutrients our bodies need and are no longer able to get from food. So, whereas whole egg, cow's milk, egg white are near the top of the list of bioavailability for "normal" people, they are not pre-digested (hydrolized), so for us, they are not as high on the list as pre-digested whey protein. Our bioavailability list would be quite different from the "normal" person's list. So, make sure your protein powder or drink states that it is pre-digested or hydrolized. And the best kind of protein would be a whey blend protein. Second best would be a 100% whey protein. Isolates, though good for a quick acting pick-me-up, are not sufficient alone for the gastric bypass patients on-going maintenance requirements.
Betsy Anitahug
on 12/27/05 7:14 am - Danville, VA
Thanks Nat. I have printed and will read this tonight. I know I will be a protein nut...Love ya girl Hugs, Betsy
Kennie29
on 12/27/05 8:14 am - Chesapeake, VA
Thank you so much for this information. You do not know how much that this has helped me and prepared me for surgery!!!!! Once again, thanks!!!! Hugs, Kennie
twinkie ~.
on 12/27/05 12:25 pm - norfolk, va
i am sorry to say that i am one of those people that you are writing about. it is not by choice though. i know most of you will say that i just need to suck it up and do what i am supposed to do and stop making excuses. but the fact is that every time i try and drink one of those shakes, or eat one of those bars, whatever it is. i get very ill! i mean REALLY sick. i am starting to get over the nausea when i eat but the protien still makes me vomit if i try to just drink it down. sipping it makes me nauseated and sends me straight to the bathroom. i have tried so many different kinds i cant even name them. tomorrow i am going to gnc to get the stallone puddings. i havent tried them yet. isopure has a new drink out in a bottle that isnt a shake. mango and peach flavors. it tastes like .......... i'll leave it at that. LOL. it almost made my husband sick. that one is the worst i have experienced! i am looking forward to trying the pudding. i am praying that it will be the answer to my prayers! i am sorry if people on the board think i am making excuses or want to go on about what i should be doing. i have discussed this with my dr. nurse coordinator. i am sure i need to get with the diatician but i hate being *****ed at to be honest. i have been trying EVERYTHING to find something that i can KEEP DOWN. what is the point if it just comes right back up? i know i am sounding very defensive. i really am sorry. i dont really mean to. i come here for you-all to give me advice and i do need it. i just feel like i am such a failure right now to be honest. i know you guys are not preaching to me to put me down at all. its just i am so upset because i just cant seem to get this this right, you know? *thanks for being there* ~susanne~
(deactivated member)
on 12/27/05 6:35 pm - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Susanne , This post was not meant to be pointing at you .. or *****ing .. I get emails everyday from people here and from the main board about protein . And right now we have lot's of very new post ops that need to know about Protein . This was not intended to make you feel bad . I never had you in mind when I posted it .. If you go to the main board you will see I posted there first . You and I have discussed this via email .. I have even offerd you my cell # so we can talk . I have never told you that I thought you where making excuses . I for one know how they taste .. and you will find one .. I hope .. you can use . Anyone that knows me personally , knows I come here to help and guide those that need support . And if you feel that I have in anyway been anything other than helpful please let me know . I know how frustrating this can be . At 19 months out .. I am still having issues with foods making me sick . I just keep trying till I get it right . Best of luck to you , Natalie
Judy B.
on 12/27/05 8:59 pm - Marion, VA
Hi Nat Thanks for posting this on the protein..it isn't only helpful to new post ops..but us who are a few months out post op. Thanks a bunch for all the information you are putting out..im one of the lazy ones with the protein..although i do try. I need to try harder i suppose. I need to suck it up and get over the taste of some of the ones i have tried..Have you ever tried the curves protein powder? JudyB
Kathy & Rich
on 12/28/05 7:30 am - Fairfax, VA
Hey, Susanne! Have your tried some of the unflavored protein like Unjury? You can mix it in cottage cheese, broth, etc. It doesn't have a smell or much of a taste - honest. Give it a try. The Stallone proteins - I like but I count them the way I count food protein since they are soy protein and not whey protein. But if you are having trouble getting food protein in and you like these - GO FOR IT! Do what you can, hon, to get your protein in. Some folks seem to do better if they drink protein with a straw. They find that the smell nauseates them. I know that we aren't supposed to use straws - gets too much air in your pouch - but hey, better to get nutrition with air then not get the nutrition, ya know?! All I can say is if you can...try some of the protein samples. See what you can tolerate. I know it is a pain to find something that your pouch and palate can handle but I do believe there is something out there that will work for you. Best wishes, Kathy
TammyNVA
on 12/27/05 9:20 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Nat, Thank you so much for your informative posting on protein. I applaud your commitment to helping others on their WLS journey What suggestions do you have for suppliers? I got some whey protein powder at GNC, but there wasn't must selection when I went. I feel fortunate that at 4 weeks post-op I've not had anything that made me sick... yet, but I've been VERRRRRY careful. Thanks again, Tammy
Kimds
on 12/27/05 10:00 pm - Roanoke, VA
Thanks for the info!!! I posted a few weeks ago about protein trouble and you and a few others came to the rescuse. I have found that right now (3 months PO) that I think bars are nasty and powers; well, we all know about powders. However, I started trying pre-mixed protien and have found that they have a better texture and taste than the powders. THANKS!!!
(deactivated member)
on 12/27/05 11:03 pm - Fairfax Station, VA
Hey Natalie, thank again for posting all this information. By the way, I had some honey baked ham this Christmas and oh my gosh, did not set well at all. Do you think there was too much sugar in it?? It was terrible. But -- on to protein. I have finally found one that i totally love - thanks to you. And that is the nectar. Love love love it. I could drink it all the time. I have to admit I wasn't fond of shakes, but this nectar drink is really good. Can't wait to see you, cutie, in a few weeks!! Thanks again to you and David for all you're doing. love donna
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 865 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2190 views