SURGERY PREP: WHAT Should I pack?

Memoir-ist0324
on 3/24/11 4:39 am - Flowery Branch, GA
 Hello All:

Was there anything I should definitely remember to bring to the hospital? 

Should I bring pjs? 

Any random items that are very helpful?

furiosmommy
on 3/24/11 4:45 am - Phoenix, AZ
What you bring and what you use are two different things. The items that I used were mouthwash, yoga pants, clean unmentionables, toothbrush, toothpaste, chapstick, hair brush and cell phone. I was also only at the hospital for about 23 hours from check in to check out. If you are there a little longer you may want your own shampoo and conditioner and stuff like that. Most people just use the hospital gown while they are there. As soon as I started being able to get up and walk I wanted to wear some comfy pants and undies under my gown so I didn't feel like my ass was always hanging out of my gown. But that's just me, most are fine with just the gown. I was discharged so early that I didn't even shower there, I did at once I got home so I really didn't need many things. I wore the same thing home that I wore in, yoga pants and a t-shirt and sports bra. I would go with a sports bra only because one of my incisions is right under the bra line and that was more comfy for me. Good luck, it'll be great!

~ Nikki ~  Loving my rad new life!
VSG 1/4/2011

Lost 150lbs, gained back 50lbs.

Back on track and hope to

compete as a Powerlifter soon!!

Linda B.
on 3/24/11 4:48 am - CA
I took my Pj's because after 1 day in that gown I NEEDED it OFF!  And my own slippers. They wanted us to just bring our ID & INS cared. I was 45 miles away. I needed a few more things PLUS I am a girl, thank you. I can't just bring 2 cards...lol. I was told to bring my CPAP too, but couldn't tolerate it in the hospital...along with all the gas, but it's up to you. I didn't feel like reading OR being on my laptop, so I am glad I left those home. My NECK pillow was a MUST and glad I took it. Also ask for more pillows if you need. I felt better on my side believe it or not and just held a pillow to my belly. It's a comfort thing for me.
Good Luck,
Linda B
(deactivated member)
on 3/24/11 4:54 am
Just remember to bring sweat pants to come home in. I will probaly wear jeans but, my surgeon told me because of the surgery I would not be able to wear them home so a big comfy pair which I need to purchase. pj's yes you want to be comfortable. I am happy for you. God Bless!
mareacuda
on 3/24/11 4:55 am - Las Vegas, NV
 I was in the hospital less than 24 hrs... but my surgery was delayed like 6 or 7 hours due to an emergency. I was incredibly thankful I had my iPad with me to watch Netflix! :-) I was also able to use facebook and read posts here after my surgery (I didn't sleep very well). 

I also really recommend the Old Navy Yoga Pants and their tank tops. Much better than a bra. I wore them for like 4 days or so. 

Don't forget chap stick of some sort! 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
carabarnes
on 3/24/11 5:12 am

Gas X strips, pajamas, toothbrush, hairbrush, I brought my own pillow, house slippers...umm oh socks and thats all I can think of.

Cara 
current weight 123
I'm 28 and 5'5.

Lina P.
on 3/24/11 5:12 am - Bolton, Canada
I brought my pj bottoms to wear under the gown. Just made things easier when the Dr checks on the incisions.
Height: 5 ft - Age: 42
Bougie size: 36 oversewn to 34  
 CW: 135 lbs
Happy in the 130's but... On to my second goal!

Sabrina R.
on 3/24/11 5:21 am - CA
Thank you for the list, I was going to ask the same question! I added face cream and deoderant to my list!
(deactivated member)
on 3/24/11 5:42 am
I was there 6 days, I brought my bathrobe, brush, chapstick and wallet.  I wore their gown and slippers, they provided me with toothbrush/paste/deoderant.  I was not allowed to shower but I was given large packets of adult sized disposable washcloths, they were just like babywipes but very large and had been heated.  They provided me with towells, etc.  They did not allow me gas x as they had chewables they were very timely with all day long.  They also gave me mouth swabs to dip in ice water and swab my mouth with.  I was unable to wear a bra home and even tho I wore the loosest sweat pants I had they were a bit irritating. 
The one thing I wish I had was a neck pillow, I was uncomfortable even with 3 pillows, one under my head, one on each side of my body with my arms resting on them.  I had to lay partially raised and my head kept falling to one side and I would wake up with a neck ache.  You might consider a small trial sized bottle of hand creme as I found the sheets to be quite drying to my skin.  I couldn't really concentrate on my reading (I had brought my bible to try and keep up with my study group) and I sent a short note off the OH but couldn't really concentrate on using my laptop too. 
cabcab
on 3/24/11 8:58 am
VSG on 01/06/11 with
Things I used in the hospital:

iPad
iPhone
Toothbrush/Paste
Hairbrush
Shampoo/Conditioner
Facewash
Lip Balm
Socks
Slippers
Underwear

iPad - I had all kinds of videos on it to watch, but only used it to send a few emails.

iPhone - the hospital had a US phone line in the hall, but the hospital was so close to the US border that I was able to use my cell phone with the US service (AT&T).

Socks/slippers - I kept socks on all the time and then used my slippers when I got up to walk around.

I had loose pajamas with me, but never used them.  I just used the hospital gowns - one to cover the front, one to cover the back.  I probably wouldn't have even worn underwear, but it was that time of month.

Someone on here mentioned mouthwash.  I didn't have that with me, but it does sound like a good idea.

I had way more stuff with me than I actually needed.

Best wishes to you on your surgery and recovery!
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

Most Active