Question for the veteran sleevers...

sunflower74
on 3/31/11 1:26 am - Salem, NJ
VSG on 03/09/09 with
 Hey all, its been a long time since Ive checked in and I am in a bit of a bind.  I am now 2 years post op and had a baby almost 8 months ago.  The pregnancy was fine and the baby is perfect, however I am finding it very difficult to get back on track.  While I was pregnant I did my best to eat properly but I wont lie, the hormones and idea of a new life I was about to face got the best of me and I did indeed indulge in naughty foods, mainly sugary carbs   Now that the baby has come and my hormones are about back to normal I am still finding myself eating more often than I should and eating the wrong things.  I am also not sure if I am confusing hunger feelings with those of maybe too much acid as they are both a pretty similar feeling.  

So with all that said, any words of wisdom and or inspiration would be greatly appreciated.  I understand the sleeve is a tool and not a magic wand.  I get all that.  I guess I just need a little push to get back on track?

Thanks!
E

Valerie K.
on 3/31/11 1:32 am - Dearborn, MI
most of the old timers are on the maintenance board.
My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/11 1:33 am
Maybe get back on a PPI to help with hunger, and just do protein first. I know sometimes I confuse hunger with dehydration...so if I am getting in my 64 plus ounces of water a day I dont have as much issue with overal hunger. NOW carbs...thats a whole other story! If I have one piece of chocolate or bread, or bad carb its all over...it starts a frenzy with me. So I have to do healthy low carb like veggies, etc. I also think it has to do with my insulin resistance. I feel like crap for a few days while going thru carb withdrawals...but once you power thru it you feel better, and the cravings go away...for me anyway. Hope I helped!!
(deactivated member)
on 3/31/11 1:45 am
I would re-post this on http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/ that is where most of the veterans hang out now.  In think you need to get back to basics.  You know what you need to do, you just mind need a little reminder.  I would start by journaling every day again.  I think that is the most critical tool to get you to pay attention to your eating again.  Spend a week just writing everything down.  Then decide on a few small changes to get you back on track, maybe increase your liquids or reduce snacking by eating on a schedule.  You need to come up with a plan again.  I would start posting on the maintenance board every day to stay accountable and make new friends, it helps to have a support system of like minded individuals.  Welcome back and you can do this.
sunflower74
on 3/31/11 1:59 am - Salem, NJ
VSG on 03/09/09 with
 thanks for the info thus far, since ive been away from the site for so long i am not aware of the maintenance page.  i'll go check it out.  thanks!

Donna09
on 3/31/11 3:12 am - CA
When I need to get back on track I go back to protein shakes for breakfast and lunch, protein shot for a snack and a protein food and small veggie only for dinner.  A couple of days of that really helps detox me from the carb/sugar foods and also helps get the restriction back in full force.

Good luck!
kikuri
on 3/31/11 5:28 am
I second the protein shake/meat/veggie meals for a carb detox. The first few days will suck, but as your blood sugar mellows out, you'll feel better and slowly begin losing again.

[5'2": 35lbs lost pre-op. SW: 245 GW: 115 CW: 130.0]

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 53 views