Post VSG and Sweets

kimberly_gr
on 4/4/11 8:53 am
I've been discussing with another member that my desire for sweets has pretty much gone away with VSG.  In fact, I don't even really like most sweets anymore.  This is craziness for me--I couldn't have imagined this for myself pre-WLS.

About twice a week I'll have a Life Saver, a small piece of dark chocolate, or a SF pudding.  But it's almost like I'll have them for variety, not because I really like them.

So how many of you lost your desire for sweets after surgery, and more importantly, did your craving for sweets come back.  I'm 4 months out, and I wouldn't mind a bit if I never desired sweets again.  By the way, I do thoroughly enjoy fruit.
Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/11 9:08 am - GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

I have *much* more of a sweet tooth now than I ever did presurgery, but I have a sweet snack once a day that is high in protein in combination with a smaller protein meal and that fixes it for me.

Seems like the further out you get, the more a random sweet tooth will rear its head! 

I just make plans and have a structure so that the tooth gets fixed without doing damage to my hard work!  yaay!

Susan M.
on 4/4/11 9:08 am
 I haven't had surgery yet, but this is very good news.  Since I quit drinking Diet Coke, I've gone overboard on chocolate and other sweets.  It will be very interesting to see if your loss of desire for sweets is common among other WLS patients.
SassyItalian
on 4/4/11 9:10 am, edited 4/4/11 9:10 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
My sweet addiction has pretty much been kicked too. Pre-op I needed to have something sweet after every lunch or dinner or I felt deprived.

Now on occasion I will have 1 bite of something sweet and that quells the beast. I hope it never comes back either!

The only weird thing associated with this is I have become a marvelous baker since surgery! I have cranked out a ton of homemade sweet dishes for my boyfriend and his family- I think the act of making it satisfies me so that I dont need to eat it.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

southernsunset
on 4/4/11 12:40 pm
i first noticed one of my co workers doing this after her bypass. She would order us food or make tons of baked goods.  She never ate just drank starbucks and buzzed around the unit.  I guess it was better than regaining. I'm sure her much youger husband was a great incentive.
CJCC55
on 4/4/11 9:11 am - Cleveland, TN
yes, I'm in that boat too. Yesterday, I thought I wanted some sweets to keep at the house in case I got an urge for some, and stood in the candy aisle at Walmart for about 10 minutes trying to find something that would appeal to me. I just could not force myself to buy anything. I just don't like candy anymore. Especially dislike chocolate now. I used to really love milk chocolate, and felt like that was the only candy worth spending your calorie allotment on. Now, it is the last thing I choose. I like hard candy occasionally, but mostly have lost my taste for candy and sweets in general. Occasionally get a craving for some sweets, but not often, and only a small piece or two will satisfy it.

I too hope that this lasts, as I don't want to eat sweets. Since I am a little over a year out, I have hopes that it will last, and I will continue to care very little for sweets.

Wishing you all the best, Carol       
count your blessings!!!!   At goal weight.   I am 5 ft 3.    

sportsmom3
on 4/4/11 9:11 am - Battle Creek, MI
I am only 5 weeks out, but I feel the same way.  I do enjoy an Oikos Caramel yogurt daily, but as far as actual sweets...no thank you!!  I even tried my daughter's Symphany Bar, without the nuts and toffee, and gave the piece back to her.  It just wasn't the same. I was eating 3-4 of those a week before surgery!!!  I would be just fine with never, ever getting the taste back for chocolate!! YAY FOR US!!!!

HW 340; SW 304
_aprilh_
on 4/4/11 9:48 am - OK
The minute I woke up from surgery everything tasted sweet, even water. I could not even drink the sports drink they had for me because it was too sweet. I am forcing myself to drink them now because I am on the liquid diet and My Dr says I need one a day for electrolytes. I prefer the chicken bouillon than the sports drinks. (the sports drinks are sugar free of coarse). My daughter made almond bark covered pretzels and I long to eat one but I don't think I will like them even if I tried. I do not want to ever eat sweets again! They are a huge downfall for me. Cookies are a trigger food. I too hope this sticks with me!
"I can do all things through Christ who strenthens me!"
 April ~ 39y/o, 6'0", HW 292, SW 268.4, CW 188, BMI 26.7

Danielle K.
on 4/4/11 11:59 am - Evart, MI
 I actually had one of my mom's sugar free strawberry chocolates tonight.  It was really SUPER YUMMY!! lol I'm wasn't a huge chocolate fan ever but after my son was born I was a lot more fond of it.  But just one was perfect.....until I read this thread and now I want another one lol
HW: 294 SW: 287 Surgery Weight: 271.6 CW: 218.2        

MacMadame
on 4/4/11 12:44 pm - Northern, CA
I lost a lot of my desire for sweets. I will always prefer sweet foods to salty/crunchy ones but veggies and fruit are plenty sweet enough for me. I now find a lot of things I used to like to be too sweet too.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active