xpost If you have fed bcbs and were denied due to not losing during the now required 3 mos...

crystal W.
on 4/15/11 5:59 am - east liverpool, OH
Yes this has been posted several times, but here is the thing.  I lost 10 lbs in a week using an all liquid diet.  Yesterday my dtr went into labor and I was at the hospital all day and did not have my usual protein shakes throughout the day.  I had an admittedly high calorie bacon egg and cheese croissant in the morning and 6 unbreaded chicken wings around 7 pm, high calorie also, I'm sure.

This morning, I was up 2 lbs.  I can't fathom how this can be, but now I really want to just make the surgeon's office submit my paper work and get the ball rolling. 

I would really like to tell them there should be no problem because it doesn't read anywhere in the plan brochure that loss is required, only participation for 3 months.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, let me know if you were denied this year, under the new rules, for gaining or not losing during the supervised diet. 

Thanks so much

Crystal
LittleMissSunshine
on 4/15/11 6:05 am
I'm confused... you said you lost 10 lbs in a week, up 2, which brings you to 8... but it was a 3 month diet?  What was your total loss over the full 3 months?

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

crystal W.
on 4/15/11 9:36 am - east liverpool, OH

I was 233 when I went to talk to my surgeon about revising to the sleeve.  started the 3 month diet in feb and at the final appt apr 4 I was 244 so the nurse didn't want to submit the paperwork because insurance companies are using anything they can to deny people now.

So I started all liquids attempting to get down to at least 229, which would be an overall loss of 4 lbs.  but as I posted I was up 2 lbs this morning.  I'm fighting to keep it together but I'm so pissed.  WTF?  Wouldn't I have had to consume something like 3500 calories to have gained even one pound?  I just don't know what to do

LittleMissSunshine
on 4/15/11 5:54 pm

Is there a typo in your last post?  It looks like you gained 11 lbs during the 3 months, but then you said getting down to 229 would be a loss of 4 lbs.

Anyway though, what were you doing for the 3 month diet?  I've been following Atkins induction this week and lost 6lbs (possibly more, my period started yesterday).

3,500 calories does equal a pound, but you could be retaining water... that would explain the 2 unexpected pounds.  I'm more concerned with your success during the 3 month diet though; what was the plan you were following during those 3 months?

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

crystal W.
on 4/16/11 5:38 am - east liverpool, OH
Sorry I keep confusing everyone, just so frustrated.  In January at my initial consult for the revision I was 233.  At the Feb weigh in 240, March 238 and April 244, 11 lb gain from the first documentation.  So if I can get down to 229 it would be a 4 lb loss from the first document weight.

I didn't follow any particular plan during the 3 months, but I had several parties, a baby shower and my 25th anniversary in that time span and my weight just went crazy factor in my awful cravings and gains during TOM and I was doomed from the start.  I'm now fighting to keep doing just protein shakes and broth but  my period it right around the corner and today has been extremely tough and it's only 3:30.

Good for you and I hope Atkins continues to work for you.  I tried to do it before but I felt really weak and shaky so I stopped after a few days.  I did pretty good with just the liquids up to this point.  Maybe I just need to give myself some more time.

Keep up the good work and I hope it works quickly for you!!  
MrsHelm1012
on 4/15/11 6:30 am - Washingtonville, PA
Consider yourself lucky, only having to lose 10 lbs! lol. The hospital where I am having my VSG done (Geisinger Medical Center) has a 6 month long program, and they like you to lose 10% of your total body weight in that time... Not that I am complaining, because I think the 6 month program is a great idea! I met with a dietician every month, sometimes a Dr or PA-C, and I had to go to their weight loss support group meetings. I cant imagine feeling ready, and like I know everything I need to know in only 3 months.
Hollyhock
on 4/15/11 8:12 pm - VA
Crystal -- It's probably the salt in what you ate making you retain water. Your stress perfectly illustrates why these pre-op diets are dumb. They don't work, and they needlessly delay the effective treatment. And they are maddening.
5'7"  VSG on 6/6/2011  HW 224, SW 214, CW 144  
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 34 views