Frustrated

lw152
on 4/19/11 2:57 am - FL

Maybe I am wrong but I feel frustrated that I don't have an autherization and I am starting a liquid diet again today. Last Oct I was 6 1/2 days into a liquid diet when they called and told me my surgery was canceled. I called the insurance company again and they said they would put an urgent request. When I called last week they said that my surgeon's office just submitted the same information package that I got denied with before that it did not include any new information.
When I called the surgeons office concerned she said I wasn't supposed to be calling. That she wanted to submit it like it was new.(They have computers)
When I called today I kept apoligizing and the insurance company said no you have a right to call you can call every day if you want, that is what we are here for.
I am begining to wonder if they are just jerking me around at the surgeon's office. When I ask about submitting to my secondary she just told me no your primary has to pay. I already spoke to my seconday Blue Cross Blue Sheild and they said all I need is a denial letter from primary.
I wonder now if there is some other reason. They submitted on Mar 31th.

If this doesn't go through this time I am finding a different surgeon.

5Ft 2in

shantele7824
on 4/19/11 3:03 am - SAN PABLO, CA
You have a rite to call insurance and even the surgeons office when you want too.  I also had some problems with my doctors office and I had considered going somewhere else, you have to be comfortable with whomever is going to be operating on your body, I wouldnt even wait look into it now so that you will know your options for just in case, good luck though.
First Meeting with Surgeon:2/10/2011  weight was 460
Surgery Date:5/03/2011  Weight was 428
Revsion To RNY 06/26/2012 Weight 

George B.
on 4/19/11 3:34 am - Miami, FL
A surgeon with a good insurance coordinator on his staff is helpful in making the insurance approval process easier and not as drawn out. 

Locally, I've seen some doctor's offices that just don't want to work with insurance companies or drop the ball if the approval process gets complicated.

Call them, keep after them till you have the information you need.

Don't stress about the liquid diet. My surgeon didn't require a pre-op diet and I've lost 100% of my excess weight. Some doctors have strict pre-op diet requirements and others allow you to eat what you like till 12 hours prior to surgery. There's no correlation between a pre-op diet and success or failure with the VSG.

Good luck,
George

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views