VSG vs RNY

Jhb617
on 4/24/11 10:48 pm - Livonia, MI
I am having a difficult time deciding between an RNY and a VSG.  If I go into the RNY chat, they are mostly pro RNY...I have a consult with my surgeon today and I still don't know which way to go.  Help!  I have a BMI >50, I don't have diabetes or HBP.  I do have sleep apnea and arthritis in both knees...any advice would be appreciated!  Thanks!
titianvonny
on 4/24/11 11:21 pm - United Kingdom
I cant give you advice but i can tell you my story so far.
I live in scotland and have been over weight most of my life. I decided to pay for WLS (as we do not have medical insurance for theses surgeries,that i know of) with money i recieved from being made redundant from my job.
I decided after meeting with my surgeon and bariatric nurse to have RNY and booked all up for it, i completed all pre op checks and diet and was admitted to hosp on thursday 21/4/11 for op that morning.
When i had meeting with surgeon to sign consent form we discussed possible outcomes of surgery and made some decisions re should anything go wrong.
The main thing being was that i wanted laproscopic surgery and did not want to have an open wound.
On recovering from op (feeling a thousand times better than i expected to) i overheard the nurses having a handover and the information i had had VSG inplace of RNY.
i WAS DEVASTATED. I had gathered all the information possible on RNY and had felt prepared for post op.
Now i felt out of control and uninformed. My new life, at this point in my eyes, was slipping rapidly away from me, not to mention the almost £12,000 i had spent on this.

later that day the surgeon and nurse came to see me to discuss what had happened and why he had done VSG.
The simple fact was there was no room inside to do the RNY i was tooo overweight coupled with scarring from previouse illnesses it was too dangerous to do the RNY for me.

Since then i have become informed and prepaired (thankgoodness for this web site), i have read everything i could get my hands on re VSG and asked so manay questions of my sugeon and bariatric nurse i feel i am back on track with my new life and am sooooo excited to be back on my journey.

I hope you are able to make an informed decision and it will be the right decision for you, as now i feel the decisions i have made/been given are now right for me.

One thing i remembered was any WLS is a tool to aid weight loss not the final solution to my life long weight loss.

Sorry i have rambled on i just thought i would share.

P.S I feel fantastic
Jhb617
on 4/24/11 11:27 pm - Livonia, MI
Oh my goodness!  I am so glad things worked out for you!  Thank you for sharing your story.  I am glad your feeling great!
mylastchance
on 4/24/11 11:43 pm, edited 4/24/11 11:47 pm
This really is a decision you must make,  it is what you feel is best for you. 

I did not want all my stuff re-routed and also had a friend who had such an awful complication from RNY it scared me to death, so that one was out.  If only they could make the stomach smaller.... why can't they just do something like that?????   WOW......they can....this is awesome my dream came true.

I learned so much right here on OH.........people who have been there and done it can teach you everything you want to know. 
We can still take meds for different reasons which RNY patients can not,  Our stomach won't do much stretching but I think the RNY can,  we don't have the dumping problem like RNY, and we still lose at about the same rate as they do without all the problems. 
I would just tell you to continue to read the posts on both boards,  learn all you can and then decide..........there are many RNY people who do well and don't have problems,  this is my opinion and I won't sell you on the VSG,  that is something you have to decide on your own. 

This is a lifelong change,  either way you can not eat the same,  have to take vitamins all the time,
eat small amounts of food....etc, etc....so just make sure you learn all you need to know.

Good luck to you,  either way you will do great and be so much healthier.

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

Jhb617
on 4/24/11 11:47 pm - Livonia, MI
Thank you - you made some really great points!
mylastchance
on 4/24/11 11:53 pm
Let me add,  would I do this again,????  OH YES in a heartbeat.....it is the best thing I have done for myself ever...............!!!!  You won't find many *****gret doing this even if they had complications,  there are so many rewards that outway most complications.....
Again good luck to you

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

pinkypromise93
on 4/25/11 12:16 am
I'm sure you have been told this is a personal decision, but it is a very  hard one I might add. I went into my consultation wanting RNY. My surgeon discussed it with me, asked me why I wanted it, etc. He then recommended Sleeve and told me his reasons. I thought I was a healthy obese. ha, if there is one of those, lol. I then had all my tests run and found out I had sleep apnea and a hiatal hernia. I have asthma, which I have had since childhood, but has worsened with the weight. I have decided to go with the surgeons advice because he has been doing this a whole lot longer than I have been thinking about it. Also, I realize most of my health issues will probably improve with the weight loss. There are alot of individuals who are great success stories here on OH with the sleeve as well, which is encouraging. The surgeon will give us the tool, but it is up to us what we do with it. I too still have thoughts of I hope I'm making the right choice, etc. But I have come to realize we all go through that.  I have no perfect answer for you, but I hope this helps. We are all rooting for you

Jhb617
on 4/25/11 12:26 am - Livonia, MI
Thanks Pinky!  I originally came into this wanting the band.  After reading all of the posts, I wouldn't get it now if someone paid me!  I have to say I am leaning more towards the sleeve.  The thought of my organs being rearranged, freaks me out a lot!  Like you, I am hoping my surgeon has some advice and knows which procedure is the best for me.

I see that your surgery date is right around the corner!  I hope everything works out for you!  I would like to keep in touch to see how you're doing if that's okay!

Thanks!  Christy
cmgg1972
on 4/25/11 11:00 am
Wow, you sound like me!  I haven't had the surgery yet.  I will say that my reasons for wanting the sleeve are similar to what has been said.  From the research I have done, it is the best of both worlds.  It gives the weight loss needed like the bypass w/o the malapsorption concerns and there is a greater likelihood of having a more 'normal' eating lifestyle.  I am horrible at taking pills so with the bypass I would be a wreck.  I need to lose over 100 pounds and the band would be a bit slow for what I need.  I think if I weighed less I may opt for the band.

Reading these boards, understanding my patterns, and knowing my end goal helped me get comfortable with my decision.  Prayerfully, after May 11, I can be on the losers bench feeling relief and by the end of the year, posting pics of a new me.

Much luck to you, whatever you decide!

Christine
Jhb617
on 4/25/11 10:18 pm - Livonia, MI
After my consult, I am definiately going with the sleeve.  I am hoping the process goes quick so I can post pics of a new me too!  Good luck to you Christine!  Looking forward to seeing new pics of you too!

Christy

HW 321 - SW 304 - CW 249

Most Active