Hospital Bag

MadFatLady
on 5/10/11 11:29 pm - MI
 I've been writing some articles on my decision to have the sleeve.  I've interviewed others who have had surgery, and I've researched all WLS procedures and read the message boards....  The sleeve is by far the best option for me.  The day that I got my surgery date of May 23 was almost as exciting as the day I found out I was pregnant for the first time!  

Now, i want to write some tips for other WLS patients.  I've done an article on questions to ask yourself and yout doctor before surgery.  The next one I have in mind is a tip sheet on what to pack in your bag to take to the hospital.  Here are the things that I have thought of to take.  Those of you who have had your surgery, can you tell me what you think of the list?  Am I packing too much?  Too little?  What did you not take that you wish you had?  What could you have not survived the hospital stay without?   Thanks for your input!!

Take to the hospital---
loose fitting clothing to wear home
slippers
shampoo, body wash, toothpaste, toothbrush, hairbrush
chapstick
journal
magazine or book to read
cell phone
laptop
Lynn

Christian Fiction Author

http://lynnmcmo.com        
laurenskapolska
on 5/10/11 11:40 pm - Windsor Locks, CT
hi just had VSG on 5/5.
Go minimal.  I did not wear my slipper - wore the socks they give you but that's a personal thing.
Did not need shampoo or body wash, and could now shower until day after I left the hospital.  Do like my own toothpaste, toothbrush and hairbrush though.  Chapstick is a definite.
Regarding the rest, if u are up to it, a laptop is good, but remember you are in a public place and frequently leave your room.
I did bring a cell phone and magazine and book, but read so little.  
I did bring underwear and did wear them after the first day.

Good luck to you.
dec721
on 5/10/11 11:45 pm - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Mouth-moisturizing spray or mouthwash.  Your mouth will feel like the Sahara Desert until you get to have ice chips.  Squirt squirt squirt, swish swish swish, spit and rinse.  AH! Relief!
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

BriarRose
on 5/11/11 2:00 am
chapstick. cel phone and charger. a magazine or book. toothbrush, paste, moisturizer and hand lotion. reading glasses if you need them. socks to wear in bed (I didn't want to put my feet in bed with the slippers I wore to walk the halls....just seemed yucky to me !)

Less is more. I was there 2 nights. list above is all I used.

Was not allowed to shower.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
ahleeeshah
on 5/11/11 6:50 am
You're gonna laugh when I say this, but the only thing I actually ended up using was chapstick. I packed a lot of stuff (small pillow for coughing, toiletry bag, a book, cell phone charger), and didn't use it. The hospital had extra pillows to use, I was only in the hospital overnight and by the time I was allowed to shower or brush my teeth it was basically time to get home, when I was awake I was watching TV or talking to my boyfriend/mom, and I used the cell to call my dads and friends after, but it never died.

I'd say the best option is to pack super light as long as you have someone that could go get you things should you need to stay in the hospital longer. Definitely bring chapstick (cannot stress this enough), and maybe toothbrush/toothpaste for when you can use them (My mom said my breath was horrible when I got out).
amanda D.
on 5/12/11 2:40 pm - Stayton, OR
may seem silly, but the first thing i thought of when wondering what to pack was an extra hair tie.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 28 views