Rental Car + Car Accident = Stress

byebyeburden
on 5/12/11 12:04 am

A big part of why I am obese is because I am a stress eater.  I wish I was one of those people who can't eat when they are stresed but that is not me, I can eat and eat and eat.  I am currently under a lot of stress and am trying to not go to food.  For the most part I am doing good, but I know I could spiral down hill quickly.  I am hoping that someone on the board can reassure me that everything will be ok and alleviate the stress I am under. 

So, 2 weeks ago, I was traveling for work and added a stop into Chicago to visit my sister and then get a rental car together to to to MI to visit my mom.  My sister was going to rent the car under her name because she would be driving it back to Chicago, I was just going to fly out of Detroit back to Denver.  B

ut, her Credit Card was expired and she didn't get the new one in time.  So, I rented the car under my name, my credit card and added her as an additional driver.  I declined the car insurance as we both have car insurance from 2 different companies. 

We drove to MI but that evening she wanted to visit a friend and took the rental car to go and visit them.  However, a truck in front of her lost their 2 mattresses on the highway and she tried to avoid them, hitting them, the wall and skidded across the highway.  From what she said the car is totalled, but I haven't had that confired with our rental car company.  The person who lost the mattresses left the seen, but witnesses had his license plate and car info and reported it to the police.  The police indicated on the police report that it wasn't her fault, but MI is a no fault state. 

So, now we reported the accident under her insurance and they said it should be under my insurance.  So, we reported the accident under my insurance and my insurance says it should be hers.  So, my fear is neither insurance companies will want to pay for this ...and I will get a $20K bill from the rental car company for the car.  Please, has anyone been through this or in the business and can ease my stress.  I am so stressed over it. 

Thank you,

~Emily
Surgery Date Weight: 255 

Goal 1: 199 reached 3/4/11
Goal 2: 175
Goal 3: 150
Goal 3: 129

Stephanie M.
on 5/12/11 12:19 am
Usually the two insurance companies will sue each other and leave you out of it.  Try not to worry!

High weight: 276

Lowest weight: 155.2

Currently : 159-164

Couch potato to runner in 18 months!                         

didim62
on 5/12/11 12:21 am - Kensington, CT
i don't have the answers for you but you might want to contact a lawyer to see what he/she thinks of your situation. I do think that your insurance carrier will have to pay as it was registered in your name but I am not certain. It will probably take some fight. Try to keep good foods available for the times that you cannot fight off the comfort eating but first try to drink something and wait 10 minutes and see if your urge goes away. Best of luck in this situation and try not to let it take you over.
Didi ..... Sleeved and living my NEW LIFE!!!!

Highest WT 381   Surgery WT (367.8)    Current WT 236
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 5/12/11 1:47 am
I agree with Stephanie.  The insurance companies will sue each other and leave you out of it.  You would only be responsible for your deductible if your insurance covers it.

Winnie

Kristy R.
on 5/12/11 1:47 am - Santa Clara, CA
 ugh, I am SO sorry. I know how you are feeling.   A couple of weeks ago, and a month out for my surgery I rear ended someone on the freeway.  I came around the corner and traffic was just STOPPED.  Since I couldn't see it, there was no warning.  My only way to try to avoid was the carpool lane, which would have caused a worse wreck.  Luckily, the car behind me wasn't scared of that and whipped around me into the carpool lane to avoid hitting me.  I barely tapped the car in front of me, couple of scrapes on his bumper and only damage to my car was the license plate.  No air bag deployed.  However, it is my fault and our insurance has now almost doubled and 4 pts on my license.  My first wreck ever, at almost 37.  Sigh.  Hang in there, let the insurance companies duke it out - and try not to turn to food.  It sure won't help anything, and it will make you feel worse.
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

Most Active