When did you go back to work

Nicki88
on 5/13/11 2:36 am
1 week after surgery.  I also have a desk job and was fine.  I was tired but I planned it to go back on a Thursday so I worked 2 days and then had a weekend to rest!
Surgery Date: 4/27/11 Dr. Aceves
Arianasmama
on 5/13/11 2:45 am - Beverly Hills, CA
I haven't had surgery yet but in reviewing my surgery packet last night I noticed the doctor stated I would be out four to six weeks.  I have a desk job and that seems a little long but being that I have STD and Aflac, I guess I will be out four to six weeks.

Be Blessed            
Jennifer S.
on 5/13/11 3:03 am - CA
 I had my sleeve done on 4/28/11 and was back to work in 6 days. I think everyone is different. I am a waitress so I am on my feet (walking like i am late) for 6 hours a day. I had no other health issues and I felt great so I went back. I have felt like myself from day 2. I love my sleeve. I too was sure I wanted the band... do your homework. The sleeve was the best choice for me. Love it Love it Love it.

Jennifer    
sonyagettinghealthy
on 5/13/11 3:23 am - CA
I had my surgery Mon 4/25/11 and was back at work at my desk job the following Mon 5/2/11. I did find that my head was foggy and I had a hard time with things that involved numbers or math--thank goodness I am a counselor and most of my job is listening. But I also do payroll and that I struggled with. I actually only made it 4 hrs my first day back (7 days post op), I worked 6 hrs a day the rest of the week  and by 2 wks post op I was back to my self 100%! I went on a camping trip (I'm 45 yrs old) 2 weeks post op and helped load and unload the car, set up camp, and slept in a tent on the ground no problem. I also have been able to sleep on my side since day 3 of my surgery. I would recommend 2 wks off if you can swing it, but if not you will be fine. I am still really tired after work though. Also I looked into the band and the sleeve and am sooo grateful I chose the sleeve! I love it. And recovery time is essentially the same for both. Also you mentioned having a hysterectomy. I also had one last year and it was at least 5 times worse than being sleeved. I was off work 3 weeks with it and way more medicated and in pain. The sleeve was just a cinch. Could not believe it. No pain. Wouldnt have even known I had surgery.

Jeanne T.
on 5/13/11 5:24 am
Thank you all for your feedback.  I'm happy to think that this will be much easier that my hysterectomy as that was a breeze.  I just talked to my nurse and she almost sounded relieved that I am choosing the sleeve.  I guess I will find out on Thursay.
ToDream
on 5/13/11 3:32 am - Comox, Canada
I had surgery on a wednesday and went back on the Tuesday following. First day was so hard that I did half days the rest of that week. I have a desk job as well.

Follow my Entire Journey at www.myaceinhand.blogspot.com

VSG April 25,2011   SW 223/ GW 135/ CW 135

WLS goal reached Feb 2012... now on to my body reconstruction Early 2014!!  

ETXGrit
on 5/13/11 4:25 am - TX
THANK YOU for asking this question.  I found all the feedback very helpful.  Wishing you well on your WLS choice.
KathyA999
on 5/13/11 5:03 am
I have an office job also, and work from home a couple days a week.  I had my surgery on a Monday, was back at home that Thursday and didn't get online at all that week, for work anyway.  The following week I worked from home all week, and the next week I started back at the office.  I could have gone in the week following the surgery, but I wanted to see what I would be able to tolerate and what I wouldn't on the liquids-only diet before finding myself "stranded" at work with something that didn't work for me.  Turns out everything was fine, I didn't develop any intolerances or changed tastes, and could have gone back the week following surgery.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

ahleeeshah
on 5/13/11 5:40 am
I had surgery on a Monday and I went back to my desk job on the following Monday. I took a half day that day just in case I needed to go home, but I felt fine. I used the time to get an oil change, haha.

I am rather young (25) and I was relatively healthy before surgery. That helped things go well and helped me heal faster. I was also able to get in my liquids and protein just fine and had no complications. You will need more time off if you have a complication or something like that.

BriarRose
on 5/13/11 9:04 am
I think that age and how you are feeling, doing before surgery counts for some of it. I was 54 years old, at surgery. I probably would have handled it better at 25 too ! I have to tell you that I only wish I could have had this surgery at 25 !!
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Most Active