Pre-Op Diet / Open Incission

bursonc
on 5/14/11 9:09 am
I am scheduled to have surgery on June 3.  I had a lapband and had an emergency removal almost 2 years ago.   My doctor is going to do an open incission surgery instead of doing it laproscopically.  Due to this I was told I only had to do one week of pre-op dieting.  I don't meet with the nutritionalist until the 27th. 
I was wondering if you would share what you have been told to do for pre-op dieting. 
Thanks

jennyfur76
on 5/14/11 9:25 am - OH
VSG on 06/21/11 with
My doc will be having me do a 2 week Full Liquid diet. Mine doesn't start until June 6th (surgery June 21). I believe it will be shakes, water, jello, popcicles, soup. That's my current understanding. Then I will have to do clear liquids only the day before surgery. They also said on the clear liquid day, nothing red or purple (like kool-aids). Hope this helps!

henner33
on 5/14/11 10:55 am - Canada
I will be starting my pre op liquid diet June 6th as well. My surgery date is June 24th. Good luck and cheers to you!
tanieanie
on 5/14/11 9:29 am - WI
Hello,  I had mine done laprascopicly but I only had to do 6 days of full liqued.   shakes, soups, puddings,cottage cheese, yougurt, popcicles and other liqueds.   Good luck!!!  Let us know.

Tanya

karen203
on 5/14/11 9:46 am - Meriden, CT
RNY on 03/31/16
my surgery is tues the 17th and my doctor has me doing the 5 day protein sparing diet, 3oz of lean protein 3x a day 3 cups of broth then water, sf jello or popsicles. No veggies, fruits or carbs
BerniN
on 5/14/11 10:35 am - TX
Every doctor is different. I was on a pre-op diet 2 weeks prior to surgery (May 9) where I was allowed 2 high protien milk shakes and a lean cuisine every day. The day prior to surgery was strictly clear liquids. My understanding is the purpose is to reduce the fat in the liver to make the surgery easier since the stomach lies just under the liver. I lost 15 pounds on that diet. Unfortunately, I am 5 days post op and am still above that weight.

Best wishes to you!
2muchfluff
on 5/14/11 10:45 am
Due to a cancellation, my date was changed, so I only had two days to prepare.  I had full liquids on Saturday, clear liquids on Sunday up through midnight and surgery on Monday.  Didn't have time to hate it.

BriarRose
on 5/14/11 10:58 am
I had lost 34 pounds pre op over 5 months. My surgeon said that I didn't need a 2 week liquid diet. I had been on a 1500 cal pre op diet, he just suggested I lower it to 1200, two weeks before, and then one day of full liquids, one day of clears, no bowel prep and then surgery.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
bursonc
on 5/14/11 12:05 pm
Thanks for the information.  He said I didn't have to do as much since it was an open incision, but I thought it might help get my mind in this.  I did great on the band pre-op diet,but that was  a long time ago.
Most Active