Day 4 Post Op.. feeling regretful

haleyh92
on 5/21/11 6:54 am
VSG on 05/18/11 with
 I never expected to be in this much pain after surgery. It has been a LOT harder than I thought. Even taking sips of water is uncomfortable. How long will this last? I definitely would have thought twice about getting the surgery if I knew it was going to be this difficult and painful. I know it will be worth it in the end, but it's hard to think past the Hell that I've been living in since surgery. Is this normal to feel this way? I hope I didn't make the wrong decision... 

MediumSoon
on 5/21/11 6:58 am - TX
Try drinking something different. I could not drink plain water for a LONG time. Iced tea has been my beverage of choice. Others have suggested warm liquids too. It WILL pass!

linda B.
on 5/21/11 6:59 am - lone oak, TX
Hang in there, the first 4-5 days were really rough for me too. Towered the end of the second week you will see MAJOR improvement. I am almost 5 weeks out and feel really good. Just sip, walk and rest all you can, take your pain medicine ON TIME and heal...good luck.

buxom_blossom
on 5/21/11 7:11 am
VSG on 04/12/11 with
Take it easy and hang in there friend! I found the initial days after surgery incredibly hard and also thought WTF have I done to myself.

After a week I was happy I did it, most of the pain was gone. I used a heating pad to soothe my tummy. By three weeks out I was already feeling like a new and improved version of myself.

I'm now almost 6 weeks out and feel awesome! I'm so happy I did the VSG.

Just give your body time to heal. Get your liquids & protein in and walk, walk, walk. I did not feel like walking but my mom made sure I was up every 2 hours and I think it sped up my recovery.
I'm 5'10"  -   HW 264 lbs  -  lost 9lbs pre-op diet -  SW 255 lbs  

momokc
on 5/21/11 7:15 am, edited 5/21/11 7:17 am
 I totally understand what you are saying...My daughter came down to go to the hospital with me and stayed a week and then went home.  Every day I told her I DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR THIS PAIN! and we both laughed about it! Laughter and this group is what got me through it!   I couldn't drink plain ice water without getting nauseated and had to stay in the hospital a day longer than expected.  The air/gas pain was so awful that I had thought maybe I did the wrong thing. Then when that was over, there were pains in my right side so bad that I ended up calling my doctor and telling her that I thought I had ripped a tear in my right muscle! She told me that was from where they took the stomach thru the muscle and added some stitches in the muscle.  I had a horrible time getting out of bed or if I laid on the couch however after a couple weeks, all of these pains went away and I was able to return to work.  When I was at home by myself the 2nd week, I cried and laughed at different times.  Finally, I said well, what did you expect? Everything has its ups and downs and this too shall pass.  By the beginning of the third week, I was doing much better however it took me til the beginning of the fourth week to get past the nausea problems.  
What made things even worse, is I talked to a co worker that had the same surgery with the same surgeon and has never had one problem!!  It will get better just try to laugh as much as possible and imagine yourself as a baby and rest and take good care of yourself and it will be over soon. 
I was so thankful for this group as they were here when my friends and family were not! 
I will keep you on my prayer list and hope you get to feeling better soon, 

Granny

FreeJulie
on 5/21/11 7:33 am - WA
It gets better every day, I promise! That first week or two is a grind, but every day there is improvement.

I can drin****d beverages, but have noticed that my stomach definitely prefers warm ones. I was struggling getting my liquids in when I was drinking iced tea, when I switched to hot tea I am easily, fully hydrated. :) Plain water doesn't exist in my world, haha.
Julie, 5' 3", age 42. Starting weight: 263, Surgery weight: 255
Blogging at www.freejulie.blogspot.com        
ktalafuse
on 5/21/11 8:19 am
I bought me a small blender and I mix my water with sugar free drink mix and have slushes.  It really helped the monotony of water, water!!!  I am having a hard time getting in proteins.  I hate the smell of the drinks.  I can tolerate slim fast but it only has 10 grams of protein and I can't drink that in one sitting.  Takes me a whole day almost. 

I miss eating out with my friends.  I know I will again but damn, I miss it.

I have been a little depressed too.  I didn't know I would be in that much pain either.    That is the god's honest truth.  I told the PA at my check up yesterday that when I sneezed the first time it felt like I gave birth to an alien it hurt so bad. 

I am going to be two weeks out on Monday and I am going back to work Monday so I am hoping that helps build up some of my strength.  I am still pretty weak.

We just have to keep her hopes and spirits high.  This forum has been great and of course, my sister has been really good to me, although she told me she misses her Taco Bueno buddy.  LOL
Kimi T. 
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
Maya Angelou

BigCaliSmile
on 5/21/11 9:26 am - La Puente, CA
I enjoyed sugar free popcicles quite a bit. I am sorry to read you are in pain it does take some time adjusting to everything. I noticed also the colder things were the better it was for me.
Jan in Cali,  5ft  Sw 224                       
wls2011
on 5/21/11 9:54 am - Ballston Lake, NY
I didn't expect so much pain either. I also couldn't get much in the first 5 days, other than ice chips, SF popsicles, & SF gatorade.
I am 9 days post op, and today's the first day that I did not need any pain medicine of any sort!
And I'm finally able to walk around without holding a pillow to my belly for support.
I can also drink more water comfortably, can take in protein shakes, and do about 4 oz of liquid in about 25-30 minutes....a huge improvement for sure!
So hang in there....it sucks at first, but it will pass.

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

redsnapper1975
on 5/21/11 11:02 am
I'm a day behind you and in the same boat- I'm functional now, but very sore.  I'm trying to take it easy and hoping for the best.  There's not much else we can do, right?  Let's hope each day is better than the last. 
~ Kim

Most Active