leaning toward vsg need info

Lulu22
on 5/22/11 1:03 pm - Hillsboro, OR
I have reaserched rny for a long time. I was approved and on my way until I lost my insurance. I am now leaning toward vsg in Mexico. I am 27. 5'4" and 333lbs. I would like to know if the wt loss is compairable to rny with my wt being so high. I would also like to hear from people who had surgery in Mexico.
thanks
Melanie (LuLu22)

Lulu22
on 5/22/11 4:25 pm - Hillsboro, OR
Anyone???????????????
(deactivated member)
on 5/22/11 6:41 pm
I am much older than you and that can cause weight loss to be slower.  I lost 60 pounds in the year before my surgery and the morning of my surgery I weighed 332...  3 months later, I weigh 286.  It is working fine and I feel better than I have in years!
USAF Wife
on 5/22/11 10:39 pm
I had my surgery in the US so I can't help you there, but I can tell you that long term VSG and RNY offer extremely close loss %. There are plenty of "heavyweights" that lost all of their excess weight with VSG alone. I personally lost 115lbs in 6.5 months that got me to goal, and then lost another 23lbs over 4 months getting me into maintenance for a total loss of 138lbs in 10.5 months.

For me, choosing a surgery for long term results/complications was more important than choosing one that I could lose the weight the fastest. Losing is only half the battle, keeping it off, and have the least amount of complications/issues years out were all things I considered when choosing VSG over RNY for my revision. Actually, I have an entire list of the "why vsg vs. RNY", but for the rate of loss, VSG still won hands down.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

cmgg1972
on 5/23/11 12:44 am
the short and dirty - weight loss with the sleeve is comparable to the bypass w/o the malapsorption problems.  also, if memory serves, bypass patients risk a lot more complications post-op than sleeve patients. 

have you attended a seminar?  out of curiousity, why are you traveling to Mexico?
jimbovsg
on 5/23/11 12:59 am
i have not lost  100% of my excess weight.....but that was never my goal!  I am still losing 21 months out (albeit slowly)  I lost over 250lbs in the first year.....now at 21 months approx 312lbs.....is the weight loss as fast or similar to RNY....I'd say so!  You may need to work a bit harder W/ the VSG....but I think it has ....less negative side effects than the RNY.

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

Lulu22
on 5/23/11 1:11 am - Hillsboro, OR
Its nice to hear from people who have been through it. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about vsg but nothing compairs to hearing from the been there's.
I lost my insurance a few months before surgery. My insurance at the time only offered rny. Now I am looking into Mexico and vsg as an option for me.
Most Active